Thread: Pistol marked lower to a rifle

Feedback Score

Pistol marked lower to a rifle

If one has a pistol marked lower it can be legally converted to a rifle correct? After being converted to a rifle can it be converted back to a pistol or must it say a rifle? Cant seem to find a solid legal answer on the web.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Well

My understanding is a pistol lower can become a rifle lower, but once a rifle lower it can never be a pistol lower.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    Thanks, that is what I had gathered, just wanted to be sure.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Check

I would still check with BATFE, never hurts to have documentation.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jklaughrey View Post
    My understanding is a pistol lower can become a rifle lower, but once a rifle lower it can never be a pistol lower.
    +1. That's the way I remember it. A pistol can grow into a rifle but going back would be unauthorized manufacture of a SBR.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've seen a picture of a RRA Pistol lower that someone had tax stamped to become an SBR. Other than that everything I've read about this has led me to believe that once a rifle always a rifle.
    30 caliber junkie.

God Bless America.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Apologies, but I'm confused. Let's say I have a pistol lower, and I add a stock and a 16" upper. At that point, it is considered a rifle, but there are no requirements to file anything with the ATF (right?). Now, if I remove the stock and reinstall the pistol barrel, I am still using the pistol lower, so how am I breaking the law?

This is all purely hypothetical, as I do not own a pistol lower; I would just like to understand the legalities.

Thanks,

Pete

Feedback Score
    Because once it is a complete firearm with rifled barrel at least 16 inches and 26 inches OAL designed or redesigned to be discharged from the shoulder, it's a rifle, as that's the definition in 27 CFR 478.11.

There is much confusion with lowers being marked "pistol". It means absolutely nothing. It's what condition is the receiver in that makes the different. Nomenclature engraved means nothing as to what type of firearm the receiver is a part of. Buy a lower and engrave "machine gun" into the metal. It's not a machine gun simply because that's what is on the receiver.

I've got a lower with pistol buffer installed. Right now it's a receiver. It's not a pistol or rifle. It's an other firearm until I render it configured into whichever weapon genre I decide.
    Disclaimer: I am the owner of Freakshow Mfg LLC.