Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Dual Action Recoil Springs for Glocks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Aftermarket Dual Action Recoil Springs for Glocks

Does anyone here use the EFK Fire dragon dual recoil spring?

From what I've read, many people like the recoil spring on the Gen4 Glocks and this is a drop in upgrade for other models.
    I've been thinking about getting an aftermarket recoil spring for some time, and wondered what you guys think about this.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What is wrong with the factory spring? Is this a 3rd Gen gun?

As for people "liking" the 4th Gen spring: W T F ?

B_C

Feedback Score
    I view ANY deviation from the OEM recoil spring assembly with immense skepticism.

I'll freely admit that an experienced shooter/reloader can derive some benefits from tuning a spring/recoil spring guide around a specific load(s)-Wolff Gunsprings, and others have well-deserved reputations and quality components.

BUT-(and it's a big "but") how many of us legitimately have the skills, both shooting- and reloading-wise to truly benefit from such screwing around?

I think that the Gen4 spring set-up was a desirable (and necessary) upgrade for Glocks firing the .40, and quite probably the .357 SIG, (and possibly the 10mm) cartridges, from both an operability with rail-attached lights and gun longevity. I question the need for a double-nested spring (both Glock and/or aftermarket) in 9mm Glock platforms other than the G26.

It's not as if Glock doesn't have engineers who analyize this stuff.

If you want your Glock to run reliably, particularly in its role as a PDW or a self-defense gun, I suggest keep the screwing around to a minimum; i.e., to sights, OEM connectors, trigger spring configuations, etc. I'm a big believer in practicing, competing, and training with one's gun, with a minimum of necessary modifications to said gun.

Now if you just want a range toy, have at it. But a cursory search of any Glock-centric website will find numerous discussions about compromised function/reliability with after-market recoil spring components. Some of us consider that sort of thing to be a bit of a clue.

Best, Jon

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post

B_C
    you mean the 4th gen spring that has transformed one of the world's most reliable 9mm's into "iffy"?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post

B_C

Hmmm.... I'm having difficulty determining your position on 4th Gen Glocks...

Yes, it's a 3rd Gen G19. Nothings wrong with it, I'm just trying to figure out if it's a good idea to possibly reduce recoil by changing it out.
    Last edited by Redneck19; 09-16-10 at 07:18.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I view ANY deviation from the OEM recoil spring assembly with immense skepticism.

I'll freely admit that an experienced shooter/reloader can derive some benefits from tuning a spring/recoil spring guide around a specific load(s)-Wolff Gunsprings, and others have well-deserved reputations and quality components.

BUT-(and it's a big "but") how many of us legitimately have the skills, both shooting- and reloading-wise to truly benefit from such screwing around?

I think that the Gen4 spring set-up was a desirable (and necessary) upgrade for Glocks firing the .40, and quite probably the .357 SIG, (and possibly the 10mm) cartridges, from both an operability with rail-attached lights and gun longevity. I question the need for a double-nested spring (both Glock and/or aftermarket) in 9mm Glock platforms other than the G26.

It's not as if Glock doesn't have engineers who analyize this stuff.

If you want your Glock to run reliably, particularly in its role as a PDW or a self-defense gun, I suggest keep the screwing around to a minimum; i.e., to sights, OEM connectors, trigger spring configuations, etc. I'm a big believer in practicing, competing, and training with one's gun, with a minimum of necessary modifications to said gun.

Now if you just want a range toy, have at it. But a cursory search of any Glock-centric website will find numerous discussions about compromised function/reliability with after-market recoil spring components. Some of us consider that sort of thing to be a bit of a clue.

Best, Jon

This makes alot of sense. I like your philosophy:"keep the screwing around to a minimum".
    Someone once told me that aftermarket recoil springs on Glocks could reduce recoil by 30%. He may have been talking about the .40/.357/.45s.
    It's not that difficult for me to control it on my 19.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    the general consensus on glock 9mm's on this forum (and a number of other handguns) is put the sights you like on it, get a good holster and belt, and spend the rest of your money on ammo and training.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I'd like to see a quality OEM replacement for the Gen 4 spring.

I'm thinking a single capture spring which is just larger in diameter, and has the same strength as the original Gen 3 spring.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I too would like to see quality recoil assemblies for the Gen 4 from Wolff and ISMI.

As for the OE Gen 4 recoil assembly, I've had no issues in my 17 and 19. Hell, my 17 has the supposedly over sprung "01" assembly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rdm View Post
    I'd like to see a quality OEM replacement for the Gen 4 spring.

I'm thinking a single capture spring which is just larger in diameter, and has the same strength as the original Gen 3 spring.
    I purchased one of the Glockmeister gen 4 recoil springs just to check out and play with in case I ever did hit an issue with the dual spring (which I haven't yet and I'm getting close to 8000 rounds through it) and the GM spring is real quality. I personally think any and all complaints about the Gen 4 would be gone, recoil spring complaints anyway. It is a quality piece IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast