Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diamondback .380 - Review

Feedback Score

Thumbs down Diamondback .380 - Review

This will be my first post, thought I should familiarize myself with the site before jumping in.

I recently purchased a Diamondback .380 for a backup to my backup. I was drawn in by the small size and excellent sights. The day I bought it I fired approximately 30 rounds of Federal Hydoshock 90grn Reduced Recoil through it. Experienced failure to feed on EVERY mag. Fired first shot, slide goes back, strips round from mag, round feed jams before going into battery. I strip the mag, rack rack rack, re-insert and fire the rest of the mag.

I say to myself "Self, thats not good." So I take it home and clean it. Read the instruction manual, discover that there is a 100rnd break in period. No-problem, I go out and buy a couple of boxes of .380 ammo (50rnds Remington, 50rnds Atlanta Arms reloads) and go back to the range. Failure to feed mag after mag. Plus one failure to eject about 60rnds in. End range session after 130 rnds, upset but willing to give Diamondback a chance to make it right.

Call Diamondback, am told the gunsmith is out to lunch and will call me back. Recieve no return call.

The positives- accurate small gun, excellent sights, easy pocket carry.
    The negatives- Feedjam after feedjam after feedjam.

I personally have no use for a gun that I can not rely on. Will be downloading this gun ASAP.

Just thought you all should know.

Feedback Score
    I havent had any problems with and have about 250 round out of the gun. Did you try differant mags? more than 2 or 3 types of GOOD ammo?

To me 130 rounds out of a guns isnt alot. And even 250 rounds to me isnt worthy of putting my faith and trust in to it.

Feedback Score
    I have not tried another magazine, do not have one available to me. I will try to aquire one and see if the problem continues.

I was not trying to imply that 130 rounds was a lot. I just was pointing out that it exceeded the "break in period" that was stated in the owners manual.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I debated for quite a while on getting one and finally picked one up. I've been pleasantly surprised, it has been 100% reliable through the first 100 rounds. I won't claim it's a "good gun" until I get a couple hundred more through it as some of the issues seem to come up after 200+ rounds with these little guns. It shoots really well and is quite accurate. It will make a good little BUG if it remains reliable and in one piece.
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Feedback Score
    I just got one of these for her last week, she wanted a pocket pistol and dislikes revolvers. Strange thing I noticed is hers does not have the stainless mag release and neither does the other two my local shop got in. Makes me wonder why they did this and if they changed anything else. The dealer told my FFL that Glock has a cease & desist order on these.
    A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well than a fool can from the top of a mountain. -unknown

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mnagant762 View Post
    I just got one of these for her last week, she wanted a pocket pistol and dislikes revolvers. Strange thing I noticed is hers does not have the stainless mag release and neither does the other two my local shop got in. Makes me wonder why they did this and if they changed anything else. The dealer told my FFL that Glock has a cease & desist order on these.
    I don't see how Glock would be able to, their patents have all expired as far as I can tell.
    Full disclosure - I am an Engineering Supervisor at Trijicon, Inc.

Feedback Score
    Thats what I thought, the slide if definitely very Glock like but the frame isn't so I don't know how that works. Could just be a ploy by the dealer to try and sell a pile of them.
    A wise man can see more from the bottom of a well than a fool can from the top of a mountain. -unknown

Feedback Score
    Got around to shooting hers today and the only thing I can say is WOW what a POS. Could only stomach putting about 70 rounds through it due to the constant FTF,FTE,FTRB and the trigger wouldn't reset. Shot AE fmj,PMC fmj,Glacier Safety Slugs and some Cor Bon HP. The last two mags she ran through it she had to manually chamber every round, it was kicking the brass about 10 feet away. I know they recommend a 100 round break in but this is a bit ridiculous. Will be on the phone with them first thing in the morning.

Feedback Score
    I've had the same problems with mine too. Ive fired a total of 210 rounds so far, S&B, PMC, a Hydrashock. Multiple failures to feed, extract, and eject. Also, the triger failed to reset about 10 times so far. I cleaned and lubed it after the first hundred rounds and it still didnt make a difference. I dropped it off at the gunstore where I got it and they said they would take care of it. Hope it comes back working like it should because I love the feel of the gun.

Feedback Score
    Good info, another promising design that has teething problems? Sounds eerily reminiscent of issues with SKKY pistols.

Please follow up and let us know what Diamondback has to say about these problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast