Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 14.5 vs 16

Feedback Score

14.5 vs 16

I currently have 2 ARs. 9.5" 300blk SBR and an 18" 5.56. In looking to sell my 18" to fund a "duty grade" upper/ rifle from SOLGW. I'm torn between 14.5 and 16. My plan is to buy a complete upper, vortex viper pst 1-4x24 with ADM QD mount, geissele SD-C trigger and build it on my bushmaster stripped lower (the SBR) and for now pick up a SOLGW stripped lower to start building on over time (I would then have a 300blk SBR and a complete 5.56) since I'm not sure the sale of my 18" will completely fund this build. I might possibly build another upper after the lower is finished so that I would basically have two 5.56 rifles plus a supressed 300blk upper, but I don't want to count on the possibility of building a second 5.56 upper. As I said I already have a lower registered as an SBR so easy enough for the 14.5 . I'm looking to hear some preferences and why from those who know, so that I may make an educated decision on which will work better for me. I'm not mil, le or a competition shooter, Im just a civilian with a "what if" state of mind, and wanna have a rifle or 2 that I can rely on to drag thru hell and protect my family if it should become necessary.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Buy a 10.3" ~ 11.5" 5.56 barrel to replace the .300 BO barrel with.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    There is not really that big of difference. You will get a little more velocity but if your running a 1-4 optic. I would get the more handy 14.5. You may end up with a can and that little less might be nice. It's not a big deal either way but I would go 14.5.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    Buy a 10.3" ~ 11.5" 5.56 barrel to replace the .300 BO barrel with.
    This. A friend tried to get me on the .300 blk boat. Naw...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Get a BCM 12.5

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The biggest con of a 14.5" bbl is having to pin and weld, since you have an SBR'd lower there really isnt any huge downside to getting a 14.5" upper.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Get a 14.5...it's jack of all trade size..you can run 1-4 or 1-6 and put a laser on it and offset red dot if you have the budget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    If NFA isn't a consideration then go with 14.5". If not, I would stick with a good 16" midlength so as to not have to worry about the pin and weld nonsense.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    I don't really want to do away with the 300blk, but it will pretty much be dedicated to hunting once the 556 is built. Lot of hogs here in Texas and I believe supressed subsonic within 100 yards is where that 300 blk really shines, but please enlighten me if I am wrong about that. Some of the replies do bring to mind another idea. If I do get another upper after the one I'm working on now, I'm guessing it would be a good idea to get a 10.3-11.5" and leave that one with the SBR and put the first one on the stripped lower I'm buying? In that scenario the upper im looking at now would go on the stripped lower once its completed. My initial thought was that if I went with a 14.5, I would have plenty of time while finishing out the stripped lower to solidify the muzzle device I wanted (currently looking at the surefire pro comp since no plans on another can if HPA doesn't go thru), then pin and weld it and throw it on the finished lower. Sounds like a lot of people are very well against the idea of pinning? I understand I'm pretty much stuck with that muzzle device once it's pinned so do you find that you end up wanting a different muzzle device down the road or is there another reason I'm not seeing?

None of this is me questioning anyone's knowledge, just me trying to gain some knowledge. I've been around firearms since I was 8 and now I'm 38 and I'm not nearly as educated as I should be after 30 years experience. Now that I have a wife and daughter I've lost a lot of free time and I've had to narrow my dozen hobbies down to 1. Lucky me I've chosen firearms and all that relates to it and interests me. Thanks for the help and opinions and please feel free to keep them rolling about anything I post!

Feedback Score
    215 (100%)
    The pin and weld also creates complications if you want to remove the gas block or barrel nut to possibly swap handguards.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast