Thread: What makes the Knights Armament SR-15 E3 5.56mm rifle such a good rifle?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's a very nice rifle, I'd say the biggest strength of the rifle is it comes with everything minus optics, and optics are not something you can just ship with a rifle, everyone has a personal preference.

BUIS (really good ones)
    SOPMOD Stock
    Great rail system
    Vertical grip if that's your thing
    Sling adapters (x2)

The only thing I don't like is the proprietary bolt and barrel (not the function, but the parts availability). Yes, it's a great piece but should you have to replace it, you have to go through KAC, and that's difficult as KAC has a lot of military contracts that get priority over civilian products. THAT SAID! I would not be surprised when people burn out their SR-15 E3, they just buy a whole new upper, because the lowers are in my humble opinion, perfect.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    As others have already so capably said, there is just that intangible "something" about these rifles that defines comparison to anything else on the market.

I've not had the pleasure of taking one to the firing line as yet, but when you pick one up for the first time, it does make an immediate impression. These don't feel like comparable mid-gas guns, and the weight difference/distribution will leave you wondering how they managed it. They are light -- very light -- and shoulder so naturally that you almost forget that it is an AR-based system. Is the SR series the ultimate evolution of the Stoner design? Well, a lot of folks would seem to think so, including (apparently) the late Gene Stoner himself.

While I realize it isn't terribly instructive to call this one of those "greater than the sum of its parts" situations, quite honestly, I do think that the expression captures it well. Everything about the SR seems to be just a little better than the competition, a little more innovative then the rest, and a little more advanced than standard fare. When taken as a whole, the results are impressive, to say the least.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    KAC rifles are the best I've owned. These are fighting rifles first and foremost, and while there is a certain level of collectibility and aesthetic awesomeness about them, they are purpose built for a sustained fight. I personally wouldn't classify a KAC gun as 'boutique' or 'high end' like say a Christensen Arms rifle. Sure it might cost more than your average AR, but considering the R&D that goes into these guns, it's clearly function over form. That said, I view KAC guns the same way I view Snap-On tools (and for the record I think LMT is just as good).
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    KAC rifles are the best I've owned. These are fighting rifles first and foremost, and while there is a certain level of collectibility and aesthetic awesomeness about them, they are purpose built for a sustained fight. I personally wouldn't classify a KAC gun as 'boutique' or 'high end' like say a Christensen Arms rifle. Sure it might cost more than your average AR, but considering the R&D that goes into these guns, it's clearly function over form. That said, I view KAC guns the same way I view Snap-On tools (and for the record I think LMT is just as good).
    Word. There is nothing "boutique" about KAC. They sell a quality product. I largely blame the slew of "mediocre" and "cheap" rifle out there. Back in the day, you didn't have choices. You had Colt, that was it. Now you have stuff that ranges from bottom barrel to better than the original. I would agree that something like Christiansen arms is most definitely boutique, where as rifles like LMT, KAC and Larue are just high quality purpose built rifles. The analogy with snap on is spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk