Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
In thinking about my earlier comments, and those of others in the thread, what I probably left unsaid was that the SR delivers an exceptional sense of balance. I'm not talking about balance in terms of handling here, but rather in terms of overall configuration. You can get a two-stage trigger elsewhere. You can purchase a competitor's free float rail system. You can find other back up iron sights that are just as well made. You can certainly buy a SOPMOD stock or mid-gassed barrel from alternate vendors. If you look hard enough, you can even get your hands on lowers with ambidextrous controls and enhanced-ish bolts. The list goes on, from QD sling mounts to rail panels and VFGs. You can source most all of these things -- piece by piece -- from a variety of other places to build the right AR for your individual needs; in fact, that is precisely what most of us have been doing for years.

This, I think, is where the SR causes one to take a step back, because all of these features are already present on the KAC, and they are present in a very well integrated manner. The result is a production gun that boasts a balance of features that can meet most any need without any real modification. Add an optic, and you're ready to pop caps. What's more, since we're talking about a factory configuration, much of the trial and error that we've traditionally associated with the process (will this mount work in conjunction with that rail, etc., etc.) is removed.

I do not yet own one, but every time I pick up an SR, I find myself a little closer to that point. I've never been prone to riding on anyone's bandwagon -- much less KAC's -- but I really have to hand it to them on this carbine.

AC
Exactly. I had a chance to fool around with one last weekend and was equally as surprised as everyone else is with how light it is, but I feel like KAC over did it with accessory modifications. Hands down its the best fighting carbine on the market but as a civi the price simply isnt justifiable. I'd much rather see KAC sell a bare SR-15 and drop the price than continue to sell them in this configuration.