Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes the Knights Armament SR-15 E3 5.56mm rifle such a good rifle?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    IIRC, price was in the $3.2K range, I think. Badass rifle for sure, but there's no way I could justify that kind of coin.
    I agree. It's not that the sum of the parts aren't there in terms of cost (I have no idea if they are or they aren't. they are on the base gun), it's a question of, for me at least, diminishing returns. The lighter weight and the brake may offer performance gains but those same gains might be had by taking a base gun, turning down the end of the barrel, sticking a Battlecomp on it, and replacing the URX wtih a VTAC tube.

Anyone know if the Magpul edition will have the clamp-on rear sight or the upper with the integrated rear sight?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Hey Rob, there is a thread going here now titled something like "N4 Addicts". Molon posted groups from two different N4 barrels that were shot with his 77 gr. Sierra handloads. Groups were all more than 1 MOA and not too far off from the one I posted here with the TAP round.

As I stated before, I think people expect too much of the N4 barrel. It is accurate and consistent, especially for a chrome lined barrel, but it is not designed for sub moa shooting. It is designed to be tough as hell. I think John has even said as much in an interveiw posted somewhere on the net. Maybe Defense Reveiw?

ETA: from what I have seen around here, I think most BCM barrels can hang right in there with the N4 and my KACs are close enough for me. I don't shoot them past 50 yds very often anyway, unless I'm looking for Lobos on the farm.
    Last edited by mtdawg169; 07-25-10 at 07:05.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just happened to be compiling accuracy information for an article I'm writing about a much less expensive AR, and my best groups ranged from 0.80" to 1.44".... all at 50 yards! Well within the "spec", and shot for the most part with Wolf of one variety or another, but posting this as a reference point for the KAC groups mt posted.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    but posting this as a reference point for the KAC groups mt posted.
    ?? I'm not sure that follow you here, what do you mean?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had the 55gr Wolf do under 1" at 100m in a customers SR15 he sent back short stroking, I could not get it to short stroke even with Wolf...

The MD gun has a 'clocked' upper and rail, as in no gap and the rail is torqued to the upper.
    5 PMag's
    MD AOTC 1 and 2
    MS 2 or 3 Sling
    Triple Tap
    Nylon Travel Case
    MOE rails
    MOE grip
    CTR stock
    Micro 600m BIS
    Magpul Sling Plate

plus I believe it will have the new URX push button flip front sight

Only 100 of them will be made, so its got some collectors appeal
    Last edited by KevinB; 07-25-10 at 08:28.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtdawg169 View Post
    ?? I'm not sure that follow you here, what do you mean?
    Showing that the SR15 is capable of better groups than a run-of-the-mill M4-style barrel. Some people reading the thread might look at your groups and without a reference point not understand that they are in fact quite good for a chrome-lined barrel. I was simply offering the frame of reference to show that a standard M4 barrel may produce groups as much as twice as large.

In a similar vein, the way I understand the 'spec for the M4 is that the accuracy standard is 5" at 100 yards with SS109/M855 62 grain. Again, offered as a point of reference to illustrate what the SR15 is capable of.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Only 100 of them will be made, so its got some collectors appeal
    That's disappointing, but understandable. It's a catch-22 in that the price is going to mean it has limited appeal but the limited appeal is going to drive up the price.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Showing that the SR15 is capable of better groups than a run-of-the-mill M4-style barrel. Some people reading the thread might look at your groups and without a reference point not understand that they are in fact quite good for a chrome-lined barrel. I was simply offering the frame of reference to show that a standard M4 barrel may produce groups as much as twice as large.

In a similar vein, the way I understand the 'spec for the M4 is that the accuracy standard is 5" at 100 yards with SS109/M855 62 grain. Again, offered as a point of reference to illustrate what the SR15 is capable of.
    OK, now I'm with you, and I agree. A lighweight chromed barrel that will do 1.2 - 1.5" @ 100 yds. with me behind the sights is a shooter, considering what it is. I hope I haven't muddied the water with all of the references to the N4, but to me, that barrel is a very good reference point in terms of the best you can hope for with a CL barrel, and the KAC can hang right in there with it, based on my experience. Plus, it is convenient to have independent results from a trusted source like Molon. All I was trying to demonstrate was that the stated spec from KAC of 2-3 MOA seems like a case of under-promise and over-deliver. I could have left out the BH groups, but I wanted to be transparent about my observations. Not to mention that I was also a bit surprised that they did not shoot better than they did.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    That's disappointing, but understandable. It's a catch-22 in that the price is going to mean it has limited appeal but the limited appeal is going to drive up the price.
    Not surprisingly, many, if not all of those 100 have already been presold. They started taking orders right after SHOT 2010. The amazing thing is that people ponied up the cash before ever seeing the final product. All they saw was a concept gun at SHOT. That says a lot about KAC's appeal.

Funny thing is that I had already modded my SR to something very similar, just without the triple tap, dimpled barrel and sweet ass rail. Now that I've added a Battle Comp, its even more similar.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I've been reading this thread with real interest. I hope these rifles are the pinnacle of AR development as I just pulled the trigger on one on gunbroker in DE. As a left hander I typically install ambi safety and norgon mag release, which is stop gap at best for a lefty. I also figured that I frequently approach $2000.00 by the time I'm finished with my carbines before optics or lights. Pretty much standard equipment is the ambi controls, Magpul or Vltor stock, TD grip, Giesselle trigger, BCM mod 4 charging handle, Troy or DD rail, Troy flip ups, etc., etc. If I like it I'll be looking for a complete lower to put on one more of my carbines. The others will stay as they are.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast