Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes the Knights Armament SR-15 E3 5.56mm rifle such a good rifle?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by III View Post
    Gene Stoner's words ring out in everything we do , I can't think of a project where someone doesn't say" Stoner always said". That being said I would give much of the credit for the E3 bolt design to Doug Olsen as Kevin said. I would also say that we have made countless improvements/refinements to it over the years. I find it interesting that many people find the E3 and its non compatibility to be the rifles only detraction. I consider it the rifles biggest asset. The E3 bolt will out last and out perform any other AR bolt on the market made by any manufacturer . It has been tested in extreme use with a sound suppressor . We know exactly what this rifle is capable of , that is why we have never touted it as a match grade rifle. I have seen rifles that shoot under .5 MOA. The high end seems to be 1.5 or a little higher.
    When you find out why people think the incredibly reliable and longer lasting E3 bolt that is proprietary is a detraction.......you will find the answer to why the one piece monolithic rail that is proprietary is a detraction as well.

Its absolutely ridiculous to think that these huge evolutions in ARs such as the E3 bolt and the MRP chassis are anything but game changing features

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by III View Post
    I find it interesting that many people find the E3 and its non compatibility to be the rifles only detraction. I consider it the rifles biggest asset.
    A point that probably bears worth repeating.

This notion that we can build a next-generation AR with legacy/backwards-compatible parts is just plain silly, considering that many of those parts, like the bolt, are actually limiting this kind of innovation. It's akin to telling a pistolsmith to build you a best-in-class contemporary 1911 using only WWII-contract USGI parts.

As we've examined elsewhere in the thread, the overwhelming majority of AR-based "advanced" rifles now on the market all use a variety of proprietary components. So long as spares can be had, this strikes me as a very hollow argument indeed; doubly so, in view of the fact that KAC is a well-established company with solid prospects for the future.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    The thing about proprietary parts (to me) is if they are available or not, and is the company some no name outfit?

- Proprietary parts, if you can buy replacements, are just like any other part. If you had 3 SR15's, and one regular DI gun the lone regular gun would the "special one". Ive actually never heard of an E3 bolt breaking...not saying its not happened but Ive personally never heard of it.

- KAC is in no danger of going TU, and some of these other outfits come and go. People buy whatever product they have, and a year or two later the company is out of business. You are stuck. I might also add KAC does stand behind their product, and they are going to do what they have to do to get you a working product that you paid for. At the same time I can see people's leeriness in buying a gun with odd ball parts KAC is not going anywhere, and you can buy spares just like you can with any other gun. If something breaks more than likely KAC will take care of it.

One thing I might also add is I do enjoying see their people on the boards taking care of people, answering questions, and getting feedback from users. Its not too often you have a company who interacts with their customers, and answers questions candidly even from the "no-name" guy on the boards. Most companies just put up ads, and if you called them you'd get some lame brain CS person who doesn't know anything about the product other than what they've been told, doesn't have concrete info, etc. For me that is a big selling point because it shows the company cares about the customer, guns, and chatting it up with people who are giving them their hard earned money. Some company owners are still stuck in the era where the only comms was a corded phone, a receptionist as the "fore front" of the company to take calls, and they don't feel like "real time" internet communications are important. I guess I just grew up in the computer era or something but I hate calling just to get a dumb CS person, maybe getting a voice mail where no one calls back, send an email that is never answered, etc. Discussion boards like this are far better for both asking and getting information, and I think it actually cuts down on the work companies have to do. A person can get way more info here which cuts down on calls asking random questions, cuts down on emails, etc. The companies that don't participate have to be getting lots of repeat call questions, emails, etc, and then wonder why they don't have the time to do anything but field customers. Its also great advertising because people like me can answer people's questions, it gets us talking about a particular product, and you can get the right answer right off the bat. Im sure the people here know far more about the SR15 than they do about other guns because we've gotten a lot of 1st hand info without having to deal with emails, phone calls, etc.

Anyways just thought Id throw that out there....Ill go hide in my hole, and fondle my guns...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    How is the gas block attached to the barrel? It doesnt look like its pinned from the pics.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I think it is press fit, possibly with Rocksett. Wes at MSTN has stated that they are a bi*%h to get off and I seriously doubt that it's going anywhere.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    How is the gas block attached to the barrel? It doesnt look like its pinned from the pics.

See this where its helpful to have reps from the company posting, and then we can pass along info.

The gas blocks are "press fit" onto the barrels. I know on mine there are some light marks just forward of the gas block before it tapers down from where the GB was fit on. Aside from that they are also set screwed in place. A press fit may not be 100% as secure as pinning but you'd have to do some crazy shit to the gun to get the GB to come loose. Another one of these things of Ive never heard of one having an issue.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    See this where its helpful to have reps from the company posting, and then we can pass along info.

The gas blocks are "press fit" onto the barrels. I know on mine there are some light marks just forward of the gas block before it tapers down from where the GB was fit on. Aside from that they are also set screwed in place. A press fit may not be 100% as secure as pinning but you'd have to do some crazy shit to the gun to get the GB to come loose. Another one of these things of Ive never heard of one having an issue.
    How would one go about replacing the gas tube then?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    FYI, the firing pin on the E3's is different as well.

The E3's will last 20k+
    I mean bolt its parts, barrel etc.

You should not need to change anything before the 20k.

The latest SR15E3 Magpul Dynamic's limited run is pretty much the cutting edge of the guns.

Light, Fast and Accurate
    That handguard looks nice and light. Is this rail going to be available on future E3 rifles or just the limited edition MD?
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 07-25-10 at 17:20.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    How would one go about replacing the gas tube then?
    It wouldn't be terribly easy, but not because of the press fit gas block but rather because of the rail system. Once the rail was clear you could un-pin the gas tube, slide it back into the upper slightly (you did remove the BCG first, right?) and it should be able to be slid back out the front. Remember that the distance from the front of the upper receiver to the gas block is ~11" giving plenty of room to curve the tube and get it out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It is not that hard to get the gas block off, or the barrel nut off; IF you have the proper tools.

Frankly other than guns abused in auto where the tube warps or splits, its very unusual to actually NEED to replace a gas tube.

Generally I replace gas tubes when I replace the barrel...

However if you really want.

Heat the gas block with a 14 amp heat gun
    This will make the red loctite on the set screws soft enought that you can turn them out of the their dimple.

While the gas block is hot, and the rail secure in a Picatinny rail vice block, you can bump the gas block off with a delrin block and a mallet.

Or you can heat up the bbl nut with the same heat gun and loose the barrel nut, pop the barrel out, and replace the gas tube that way.

However it really does not need to be done.

Keep in mind in an emergency - you can shoot a square lug bolt in the E3's, I won't not want to do it for long, but it will cycle.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    Hey, KevinB, and III.

A million complements to your guy's business. I can't say anything but good things about you guys. You're rifles leak quality, as do your suppressors (I love mine!).

I have a few questions though. For personal curiosity, and in the spirit of the thread.

A - At any point are you guys going to be selling a PDW type pistol grip, as a control accessory?

B - What's the deal on the rail system on the MD rifle? It looks awesome.

C - Does KAC have any plans on selling CQB upper receiver groups?

D - As mentioned before will you guys be Nickel Boron coating your carriers?

Thanks, in advance for any response. You guys are awesome.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast