Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes the Knights Armament SR-15 E3 5.56mm rifle such a good rifle?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    In thinking about my earlier comments, and those of others in the thread, what I probably left unsaid was that the SR delivers an exceptional sense of balance. I'm not talking about balance in terms of handling here, but rather in terms of overall configuration. You can get a two-stage trigger elsewhere. You can purchase a competitor's free float rail system. You can find other back up iron sights that are just as well made. You can certainly buy a SOPMOD stock or mid-gassed barrel from alternate vendors. If you look hard enough, you can even get your hands on lowers with ambidextrous controls and enhanced-ish bolts. The list goes on, from QD sling mounts to rail panels and VFGs. You can source most all of these things -- piece by piece -- from a variety of other places to build the right AR for your individual needs; in fact, that is precisely what most of us have been doing for years.

This, I think, is where the SR causes one to take a step back, because all of these features are already present on the KAC, and they are present in a very well integrated manner. The result is a production gun that boasts a balance of features that can meet most any need without any real modification. Add an optic, and you're ready to pop caps. What's more, since we're talking about a factory configuration, much of the trial and error that we've traditionally associated with the process (will this mount work in conjunction with that rail, etc., etc.) is removed.

I do not yet own one, but every time I pick up an SR, I find myself a little closer to that point. I've never been prone to riding on anyone's bandwagon -- much less KAC's -- but I really have to hand it to them on this carbine.

AC
    Exactly. I had a chance to fool around with one last weekend and was equally as surprised as everyone else is with how light it is, but I feel like KAC over did it with accessory modifications. Hands down its the best fighting carbine on the market but as a civi the price simply isnt justifiable. I'd much rather see KAC sell a bare SR-15 and drop the price than continue to sell them in this configuration.
    Its only until we have nothing that we're free to do anything

Feedback Score
    I personally enjoy shooting my SR15 more than my 6920. The price is a non-issue if you factor in the aftermarket parts normally associated with configuring an AR for some people. There is definitely reduced recoil in the SR15, and a nice trigger break due to it's included two stage. The ambi-controls are really nice too. Some have said that it can lead to training scars, which I admit can be true, but I'll take any advantage I can get. I only wish it was the first AR I had ever owned, then I really could have saved some money.

Feedback Score
    It's the best damn rifle on the market period.

Feels like a freaking airsoft rifle it's light!

Has everything ready to rock out of the box just include your favorite optic. I personally went with a T-1 which is also freaking light.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Is the gas tube of the KAC longer than a standard middie?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Is the gas tube of the KAC longer than a standard middie?
    yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This is due in large part to the tuning that KAC did with the gas port and the longer gas tube. Warning, the gas tube is one of several non-standard parts on this gun. It's not even a standard mid-length or rifle-length. It is, however, standard to KAC as it's the SR25 gas tube.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    yes it is.
    So did they change the diameter of the port hole?
    Its only until we have nothing that we're free to do anything

Feedback Score
    bottom line its built by knights armament

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wes007 View Post
    So did they change the diameter of the port hole?
    uncle.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Reed and Trey Knight understand the DI/AR15 system as just that; a system.

Their ability to conceptualize and manipulate the system to accomplish exactly what they want (i.e. balancing gas volume, recoil impulse, dwell time, etc.) is un-matched in the industry. Period. Further, the tolerances that their CNC machines can hold are unequaled as well. I have never shot an SR15, but held one many times. They feel so solid, yet so light.

Rob_s, Great post.

I once heard that the inner chambers of their bolt carrier/gas key and the outer surface of their bolt are sized and contoured perfectly (and slightly different from standard AR's) to maximize the gas flow from their proprietary gas port. They make less gas 'go further' and 'work harder' with no penalty in reliability. Simply stated: You can't get their shit anywhere else.

Feedback Score
    As many have said, an incredible balance of weight and features. It is an expensive rifle, but also a bargain at that price. No one else makes a rifle that even compares in features unless we are talking a 6920 for $999.

The barrel is a very light profile, almost pencil, which contributes immeasurably to the feel. Too many manufacturers are still caught up in the HBar craze.

The URX is a joy, the ambi controls are great, and the rifle gives the appearance that no amount of attention to detail was spared.

The trigger is almost as good as an SSA, the SOPMOD is great, if you are looking for one, but in all likelihood I will continue to pare down my AR collection so that I can have two of these. It is probably the best fighting carbine out there, and I don't offer that lightly. It isn't perfect, but it is close.

Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast