Page 37 of 70 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes the Knights Armament SR-15 E3 5.56mm rifle such a good rifle?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You are correct that it is a BM and not a BCM, I simply call it my BCM gun because the upper is 100% Bravo Co and my lower is MagPul, Geisselle, and BCM parts. I simply assembled it myself on a Bushy lower.

And it makes sense not to inspect your weapon at work since the time can be spent on more pressing issues and I have to agree with you there that having the piece of mind of staking is necessary on a work/duty rifle.
    Last edited by El Pistolero; 12-31-10 at 22:36.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIDENT82 View Post
    KAC is arguably the most classy and well put together outfit building ARs today. The reason imo why KAC does not loc tite or stake the castle nut is because so many people buy guns today and then instantly either throw on an UBR, or take off the rec. ext tube to install a sling attachment, etc. Any person with any time on the AR 15 can stake and unstake a castle nut with ease and this is a rather asinine reason to knock KAC or the SR-15.

Ask me if it keeps me from buying the complete lowers for all future builds...NO

Most recent gem...KAC gives you more frills than Delta did during the 80's.

I usually agree with you,
    but havent we (M4C in general) been bashing companies like BM and others for not staking in the past (flashbacks of Grant going through a BM)

I would argue that the vast majority of aftermarket stocks do not require replacing buffer tube, so if you are buying rather than building, wouldn't it be nice that the rifle just be good-to-go?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Is staking part of the TDP? I am not knocking KAC only their decision not to stake. We crap on companies all the time for being lazy and not properly staking gas keys and castle nuts/extensions or for doing a half ass job. This is no different.

If they don't do it for a reason they should explain why and let the consumer know. Folks here will know about staking. What about the regular Joe or Cop who has their $2,000 gun crap out when they need it most. I am sure KAC is doing a lot right. They're clearly doing this wrong.
    Agreed

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTacoma View Post
    Agreed

Please point me to a thread where someones SR15 crapped out on them...

Feedback Score
    I am not gona second guess KAC even one bit, they have certainly done their research. I have yet to hear of an SR15 "crap out" due to a castle nut not being stacked. I do however would like to be informed. I would like to know what they do different on their build process that would render stacked castle nuts unnecessary?
    Last edited by OTO27; 01-01-11 at 01:30.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    They don't do anything differently.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    Please point me to a thread where someones SR15 crapped out on them...
    Since KAC's lack of staking seems to be such a non-issue here, would it be safe to assume our BCMs, LMTs, etc. should also be fine unstaked assuming they are assembled and torqued properly?

I both am familiar with, and respect KAC's track record. However, we're still dealing with mechanical objects here. If their guns are running fine without it, then either they are using a different manufacturing and/or assembly process than everyone else, or staking castle nuts isn't a priority if care is taken to ensure the nuts are properly torqued.
    Last edited by opmike; 01-02-11 at 01:32.
    "I have your number. Consider yourself warned."

Feedback Score
    Call me retarded, but I actually would rather have it not staked, so I can just throw on a sling attachment point, and stake it myself.

Then again, I always wondered why the SR-15 never just came with the KAC carbine sling plate.

Because of the QD cups? (WHICH I ACTUALLY USE.)
    Last edited by Magic_Salad0892; 01-01-11 at 04:07.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    Call me retarded, but I actually would rather have it not staked, so I can just throw on a sling attachment point, and stake it myself.

Then again, I always wondered why the SR-15 never just came with the KAC carbine sling plate.

Because of the QD cups? (WHICH I ACTUALLY USE.)
    Same here, no big deal to me either way. I spent my money so you how I feel but I am disappointed by the double standard of the membership on this issue.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Speaking only for myself, I don't find it a double-standard at all. I think KAC should be staking them. I do not think "proper torque" and threadlocker are acceptable alternatives, and if I had an SR-15 I'd remove the nut, degrease and remove the gunk (if present), and re-torque and stake it myself.

I agree with you that it's nonsense for someone to lambast RRA for not staking, or LB for putting them on backwards, but then giving KAC a pass using the same lame excuses as the RRA fanboys use and get roasted for.

However, these discussions are really about sums of parts and not so much the minutia. I think anyone with two ounces of sense (a rare commodity around here lately) can understand that KAC's failure to stake does not somehow make the SR-15 the equal of an RRA or DPMS with a history of failures due to the wide range of corners they cut.

Some would say that KAC makes a conscious decision to do what they think is best while the others make their decision based on whatever is cheaper. KAC also does not HPT/MPI every bolt according to the TDP. This is something else I don't personally agree with, but until we start seeing SR15 bolts failing at the cyclic rate like DPMS were a few years ago, KAC is obviously doing something right.

Page 37 of 70 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast