Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes the Knights Armament SR-15 E3 5.56mm rifle such a good rifle?

Feedback Score
    I bought mine on Gunbroker. I found a good deal.
    You ladies bitch when you get an MRE without a pop-tart.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    Done.

AC
    Ditto, I just ordered mine this morning. Initially I was looking at Piston Rifles, but when I read more about the SR15, read more reports from owners and knowing that this was Gene Stoner's final effort, I was sold on it. Add in the fact of the other lineage involved like the Mk11, and M110, I feel comfortable knowing I made a solid choice.

Feedback Score

Question

I just recently checked out Khight's website. I noticed that there is no bolts, BCGs, or extractors for sale. Where do you get spare parts? Are they special order items?
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    There is a field repair kit available, it has a cam pin, extractor, firing pin, rings, and all the associated little springs and pins. As far as a bolt goes, or a BCG, I think you may have to send your rifle in for that. I wouldn't mind having a spare of that myself, although the likelyhood of needing it is remote. Still couldn't hurt any...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerinTPA View Post
    I just recently checked out Khight's website. I noticed that there is no bolts, BCGs, or extractors for sale. Where do you get spare parts? Are they special order items?
    The same folks that carry the complete SR's usually carry the spare parts.....Casey @ Lawmen's/ Wes @ MSTN.

Moreover, Knights has a presence both here and the other site and from my experience would be more than happy to deal with you in regards to getting your gun up and running should these couple proprietary parts break which I doubt considering KAC makes them after all

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerinTPA View Post
    The response I've typically heard from KAC on this is "you won't need spares", but I wouldn't buy a rifle with proprietary parts without also stocking up on spares for those parts. I'd want an extractor and spring, complete bolt, and gas tube, all sitting in my range bag if I bought an SR15. With a little prodding I think that KAC will sell you these parts, or plans to in the future, but they are no doubt spendy.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I am currently working on my "last" build, I keep asking myself "should I have gone with the KAC??",
    It is no doubt arguably the best AR for the money, but I decided to go a different route and build my answer to the KAC for several reasons:
    1) as mentioned, proprietary parts. Gas tube, bolt, and barrel dictates non-standard parts.
    2) extra costs in tooling, $250 for the parts to remove rail, this is big for me since I do not like sending off my rifles and to be honest, I dont know what the future will hold, so for the same reason i am working on tooling up to reload I dont want to be at the mercy of a long distance smith.

that's actually all i had except for the satisfaction of building. Both of those reasons fall under the same category pretty much, but with an extra upper of any kind one could easily be 100% ok for the long run, which makes me ofter question my choices on not going KAC... lol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The response I've typically heard from KAC on this is "you won't need spares", but I wouldn't buy a rifle with proprietary parts without also stocking up on spares for those parts. I'd want an extractor and spring, complete bolt, and gas tube, all sitting in my range bag if I bought an SR15. With a little prodding I think that KAC will sell you these parts, or plans to in the future, but they are no doubt spendy.
    My thoughts exactly. I have been entertaining the thought of getting another AR, but I'm torn between a light weight pencil build, which would have common parts with my other ARs and a SR15, which does not. If I go the SR15 route, I want 2 or 3 of everything that can wear or fail.
    For God and the soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before! The danger passed, and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted." - Rudyard Kipling

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal24k View Post
    I am currently working on my "last" build, I keep asking myself "should I have gone with the KAC??",
    It is no doubt arguably the best AR for the money, but I decided to go a different route and build my answer to the KAC for several reasons:
    1) as mentioned, proprietary parts. Gas tube, bolt, and barrel dictates non-standard parts.
    2) extra costs in tooling, $250 for the parts to remove rail, this is big for me since I do not like sending off my rifles and to be honest, I dont know what the future will hold, so for the same reason i am working on tooling up to reload I dont want to be at the mercy of a long distance smith.

that's actually all i had except for the satisfaction of building. Both of those reasons fall under the same category pretty much, but with an extra upper of any kind one could easily be 100% ok for the long run, which makes me ofter question my choices on not going KAC... lol

Proprietary parts is an issue but you can get spares on your own.

With the lower, gas system length, and bolt design you aren't going to build the same gun on your own.

I don't have a problem with the parts because I have several other AR's that can take its place, and if need to use it in SHFT the slim chance of a parts failure is lessened with the SR design to begin with.

The SR is designed to be an out of the box performer. Sounds like you prefer to do your own work, and in that case its probably not the best option for you. I prefer to not do my own work, and like my shit right out of the box.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Correct,
    call me paranoid, but after seeing the creation and sunset of a ban in my short life, I can't help but plan for the next, in that case I am looking at having the ability to maintain it myself with parts interchangeability providing around average of 5-10 "spares" for every part.

Like I said, KAC is arguably the best AR for the money, but for me ARs are my Legos and when it comes to cars and everything else to be used I would never want to get myself into something I couldnt fix or maintain in the LONG run.

If I had started with an E3, I would stick to them, but buying one now would make it the odd duck, and with that, I often recommend them to anybody looking for the best out of box AR

Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast