Page 9 of 70 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes the Knights Armament SR-15 E3 5.56mm rifle such a good rifle?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have to say I love mine. As others have said it's a natural evolution of the AR. Without being locked down to some design characteristics KAC was able to improve the platform without completely distorting it's 'AR-ness'. As a lefty, I also have to say that the ambi controls are awesome. I have a ambi mag release on one of my other ARs but the KAC lower is just way better.

As to the proprietary parts 'problem', it's legitimate but over stated IMO. Yes, their are proprietary parts in the KAC, but nearly all of those provide an improvement over a stock AR. LMT MRPs, LWRCs, HK416s, SCARs, ACRs, and others have parts that are unique to their respective platforms. Even our handguns have unique parts. You can get the KAC parts, but they probably cost more. But since they last longer, is the cost per part that much more expensive over the life of the rifle? And if push comes to shove, you can replace the barrel and bolt and reuse the rest of the gun.

I think the SR-15 goes into a class of weapon like the LMT MRP. They are still mostly ARs, but they provide improvements and advancements you can't get by sticking slavishly to the AR platform.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockWRX View Post
    I have to say I love mine. As others have said it's a natural evolution of the AR. Without being locked down to some design characteristics KAC was able to improve the platform without completely distorting it's 'AR-ness'. As a lefty, I also have to say that the ambi controls are awesome. I have a ambi mag release on one of my other ARs but the KAC lower is just way better.

As to the proprietary parts 'problem', it's legitimate but over stated IMO. Yes, their are proprietary parts in the KAC, but nearly all of those provide an improvement over a stock AR. LMT MRPs, LWRCs, HK416s, SCARs, ACRs, and others have parts that are unique to their respective platforms. Even our handguns have unique parts. You can get the KAC parts, but they probably cost more. But since they last longer, is the cost per part that much more expensive over the life of the rifle? And if push comes to shove, you can replace the barrel and bolt and reuse the rest of the gun.

I think the SR-15 goes into a class of weapon like the LMT MRP. They are still mostly ARs, but they provide improvements and advancements you can't get by sticking slavishly to the AR platform.
    I would have to 125% agree with that statement...that is dead on.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post

Such versions of the SR-16 uppper may well be available in the future, if they aren't already in certain quarters, but I find some of this puzzling.
    AC

Insert random image here....

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Stick, your SR16 on the Noveske full-auto lower is one of the baddest rifles I've ever seen!

Just curious, does it have the E3 bolt?
    Last edited by mtdawg169; 07-23-10 at 14:10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockWRX View Post

I personally welcome the innovations offered by KAC.

There is a reason why KAC carbines are as cool as they are, and it isnt because they are shackled by a requirement to just be another AR15
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Insert random image here....
    ... and fortunately for us, you seem to have a lot of random images. =]

Was that a standard SR-16 (14.5") or the CQB variant (11.5")? I suppose most here would be more actively interested in the latter, though either would make a pretty fine SBR.

AC
    Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. -- Captain John Parker, Lexington, 1775.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    OK, here are some examples that are very representative of what my SR15's have done in the past. This is from a brand new upper, just delivered this week. The SR15 is definitely better than a 2-3 MOA gun in my experience. For those who are wondering, this is about on par with the kind of accuracy I get from my Noveske N4 barrelled upper also.

Hornady TAP Practice 75 gr.

Mk 262 - I also had another 5-shot group that measured right at 1.5", but was more evenly spread.

Black Hills Blue Box 75 gr.

and just for fun... Mk 262 - 4 rounds

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Wow, surprised to see the Black Hills do so "bad".

These groups are at 100? While obviously better than 2-3 MOA it's also obviously no tack-driver either. If I got those kinds of groups from a Noveske I think I'd be a little disappointed. I've gotten similar accuracy to what you're showing there with Wolf 75 grain out of my BCM standard mid-length (discounting the wild fliers you get with Wolf from time to time).

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Wow, surprised to see the Black Hills do so "bad".

These groups are at 100? While obviously better than 2-3 MOA it's also obviously no tack-driver either. If I got those kinds of groups from a Noveske I think I'd be a little disappointed. I've gotten similar accuracy to what you're showing there with Wolf 75 grain out of my BCM standard mid-length (discounting the wild fliers you get with Wolf from time to time).
    I agree Rob, it's not a tack driver, but it is no slouch either. I just wanted to show that it could do better than the advertised 2-3 MOA & It is definitely accurate enough for my purposes. As I stated previously, my experience has shown it to be about a 1.25 - 1.50 MOA rifle. This brand new upper met my expectations based on my prior experience with a couple of different E3's. These were at 100 yds, off of a front sandbag. I don't profess to be a great shot either. It was hot as hell today, gusting breeze from 5-10 mph and lots of mirage through the scope. I don't really know what effect any of that had on performance, just clarifying the shooting conditions. And yes, I have been underwhelmed with my Noveske. I'm really curious what this rifle could do with a proper crown on the barrel.

It should also be noted that I did not have a carbine buffer with me today to test out this new upper. All I had with me was an H buffer and a Tubbs CS flatwire spring. As a result, short stroking was the norm today and I often had to stop mid stream to rack the CH and chamber a round. I also had several bolt over bullet malfuntions. Today was really just a "get out and shoot" kind of day to get some initital rounds through the upper & zero sights. I'll be picking up a standard carbine buffer & spring this week and the malfs should go away.
    Last edited by mtdawg169; 07-24-10 at 18:41.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Wink

I was traumatized by a Knight's M4.

I'll just leave it at that.
    Doing my part to keep malls safe

Page 9 of 70 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast