Thread: Lone Star Medics Medicine X AAR

Feedback Score

Lone Star Medics Medicine X AAR

Medicine X AAR

Who: Lone Star Medics
    Where: Tac Pro Shooting Center Mingus, TX
    When: July 17-18, 2010
    Equipment: M&P9 Pro, Spikes Tactical 22LR, DDM4, SOE Micro Rig

Lone Star Medics’ Medicine X class focuses on the care under fire section of the TCCC, students are taught field wound care while in a hostile environment. If you carry a gun you should receive some sort of medical training preferably in gunshot care. I personally know of two incidents this year where students have accidentally shot themselves on the range and someone with medical skills and a trauma kit was able to bandage them and get them to the hospital.

The first day of the class began in the classroom, students were taught different one and two man carries to move an injured person off the X and to cover. Carries covered included: one man drag, two man drag, SEAL Team 3 carry, fireman’s carry, and others. The students then got down and began practicing and carrying each other around the classroom. The proper use of tourniquets, pressure dressings, and hemostatic agents were then addressed. How and when to use them was covered and the students were able to handle and practice putting the equipment on themselves and other students. Various examples of tourniquets and pressure dressings were available to handle and try for each student to see what they preferred.

The afternoon was spent integrating pistol skills and medical skills. Each student ran two scenarios; each scenario had a mix of hostile and friendly targets that had to be sorted through and taken care of and the possibility of a simulated injury to the shooter or Randy, the 175 pound training dummy. Behind one of the barricades on the course was the injury card that described how the rest of the scenario would develop. Some example scenarios included the shooter being injured is the strong side arm and having to treat themselves and finish the scenario support side only, another example would be the shooter is uninjured but Randy has chest injuries and had to be moved to cover and treated. The students had to use what they carried in their first aid kits and had to adapt and improvise if their kit did not contain everything needed to treat themselves or Randy.

The second day began in the classroom, the previous topics were reviewed and sucking chest wounds were covered and once again different supplies were handled and discussed by the students. The instructors covered movement in and around cars in preparation for the next scenarios. The first scenario was similar to the previous scenarios but added a second person for a two man team and integrated the carbine. The teams had to communicate, navigate the course of fire, neutralize the threats, move and treat Randy and/or themselves all while maintaining muzzle discipline and safety.

The final exercise was a culmination of the previous day and a half. The students worked in 4 man teams and moved to an ambush site to rescue a downed convoy. The team had to treat and evac multiple injuries while providing security and engaging hostile targets. Once again the teams had to communicate and work together to safely get the injured to the extraction point. As in the previous scenarios the students could only use what they carried on their bodies and often had to share equipment to complete the mission.

The instructors did a good job of stressing and pushing the students to think on their feet and solve the problems. After each exercise the instructors went through an AAR with the students to address what they did correctly and what could be improved upon. During the scenarios the instructors gradually increased the stress levels by quizzing the students on medical and shooting questions while they were trying to treat injuries forcing them to think on their feet while still completing the task they were involved with.

Lone Star Medics went above and beyond in class and stage design, reactive targets were used and even pyrotechnics on some stages. It was obvious that they put a lot into their classes. The class was presented at a level where students with no previous medical experience could pick up the material but the instructors were knowledgeable enough to answer any questions from more advanced students.

The class was a great insight into what works for you and what doesn’t work. Students were having difficulties with some of the bandages and tourniquets while others worked great. It was also easy to see if your set up was conducive for easy use. I used a general purpose pouch on my chest rig for all of my medical supplies, it worked but I would prefer something more organized. I’ll be ordering a SOE medical insert soon.

Between the July Texas heat, the new skills, Randy’s 175 pounds of dead weight, and the instructors challenging and pushing you this was a demanding class. However, all of the students persevered and came away with a new skill set that they had reinforced in realistic drills and under stress. It was well worth the time to take the class and I’ll be attending more medical training with Lone Star Medics in the future.

Last edited by bratch; 07-20-10 at 08:19.

Feedback Score
    Looks like an interesting class.

Here is a link to their site: http://lonestarmedics.com/html/schedule.html
    I've got a bunch of survival guides on my Kindle, so I'm ready for an EMP.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Thanks very much for the writeup and the photos. I don't live all that far from Mingus, and have thought about taking this class with a buddy.

But I'll probably do it when the temperature reminds me a little less of Satan's living room.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Thanks very much for the writeup and the photos. I don't live all that far from Mingus, and have thought about taking this class with a buddy.

But I'll probably do it when the temperature reminds me a little less of Satan's living room.
    You're a smarter man than I am. This is the second year in a row that I've been in central Texas in the middle of July with triple digit heat taking a class. Everytime I say never again but I seem to forget.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Don't be so hard on yourself. You didn't take the class in August.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Don't be so hard on yourself. You didn't take the class in August.
    So, temperature wise, when is the best time to wander over to your neck of the woods?

Someone told me it can also get a tad cold over your way too.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    My personal favorite month in Texas is November. The rain from October is gone, you can wear a fleece pullover at night (50-ish) and a regular shirt (a balmy 70) during the day.

The weather in August is a bit more sporty - it can go above a hundred and stay there for over 10-20 days. The humidity is usually 40-60 percent.

If you are used to the heat of the Greater Mesopotamia heartland, then rock on. But I am old and feeble now. I prefer to watch an instructer teach, rather than trying to peer at him through a shimmering heat mirage.

And don't forget - I'm buying the coffee when you get here.

Feedback Score
    I still have all my UK cold weather gear. Living in shorts over here in Fl so it'll be a change to get some chilly weather.

The Boss, she who must be obeyed, says I can go playing on courses in the new year......once I have my business up and running.

Coffee, black and strong.