Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surefire Scout vs other Surefire lights

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Surefire Scout vs other Surefire lights

Can someone explain to me why a Surefire Scout Ultra is a better weapon light than a Fury or E2D Ultra? I had read the "other" lights aren't "weapon rated" but it seems thousands of people are doing this without problems. What justifys the extra cost? I have no interest in running a pressure pad

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I've got the surefire mini scout 300A on my primary rifle, and I'm very impressed with it. It's compact, very lightweight, and seems to be the perfect amount of brightness for a weapon light. The light only puts out 110 lumens, which was chosen so that it isn't so bright as to blind the user with reflection off walls and stuff. It keeps the light ring very tight, even out to a fair distance. I don't run the pressure switch on it, it comes with a regular click tailcap as well as the pressure switch, which you really have to consciously push directly for constant on. Yet it is easy to push for momentary on without worrying about engaging the constant on click. I run it with the MOE handguards in the magpul MOE scout mount, and for me it positions it perfectly where the end of the light is out past the front sight post. The scout line of surefire lights are some of the most heavily tested for weapon lights, as that is their primary function. I believe there are a few youtube videos and articles about some of the torture tests performed on them, and the results are impressive. Is it expensive? Hell yes, the mini 300A ran me $250...was it worth it? Absolutely, I have complete confidence in it, and don't worry a bit that it won't last just as long as my rifle will.
    Last edited by Plumber237; 08-05-13 at 06:45.
    Do not go gentle into that good night...rage, rage against the dying of the light - Dylan Thomas

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarge View Post
    Can someone explain to me why a Surefire Scout Ultra is a better weapon light than a Fury or E2D Ultra? I had read the "other" lights aren't "weapon rated" but it seems thousands of people are doing this without problems. What justifys the extra cost? I have no interest in running a pressure pad
    The pressure pad is part of the expense. The built in base is as well.
    I like the scout because of the base and could care less about the pad.
    Despite the amount of torque used, the other surefire lights kept slipping in their rings. The only surefire/ring combo that did not loosen over time was the plastic surefire lights in a vtac mount.

I run either a scout or an x300.
    FUNDAMENTALS: A crutch for the talentless

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumber237 View Post
    I've got the surefire mini scout 300A on my primary rifle, and I'm very impressed with it. It's compact, very lightweight, and seems to be the perfect amount of brightness for a weapon light. The light only puts out 110 lumens, which was chosen so that it isn't so bright as to blind the user with reflection off walls and stuff. It keeps the light ring very tight, even out to a fair distance. I don't run the pressure switch on it, it comes with a regular click tailcap as well as the pressure switch, which you really have to consciously push directly for constant on. Yet it is easy to push for momentary on without worrying about engaging the constant on click. I run it with the MOE handguards in the magpul MOE scout mount, and for me it positions it perfectly where the end of the light is out past the front sight post. The scout line of surefire lights are some of the most heavily tested for weapon lights, as that is their primary function. I believe there are a few youtube videos and articles about some of the torture tests performed on them, and the results are impressive. Is it expensive? Hell yes, the mini 300A ran me $250...was it worth it? Absolutely, I have complete confidence in it, and don't worry a bit that it won't last just as long as my rifle will.
    -but what makes your mini scout better than, say, a G2X?
    -tried finding the articles/videos you mentioned but had no luck. would certainly enjoy reading them

Quote Originally Posted by David Thomas View Post
    The pressure pad is part of the expense. The built in base is as well.
    I like the scout because of the base and could care less about the pad.
    Despite the amount of torque used, the other surefire lights kept slipping in their rings. The only surefire/ring combo that did not loosen over time was the plastic surefire lights in a vtac mount.

I run either a scout or an x300.
    Not sure what you mean when you say "built in base." Could you clarify this?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Scout models come with thier own attachment device for picatinny rails. You don't have to by an additional piece to connect the light to the hand guard.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    -tried finding the articles/videos you mentioned but had no luck. would certainly enjoy reading them

Not sure what you mean when you say "built in base." Could you clarify this?
    Instead of a ring going around the flashlight, the mount is bolted into it directly.
    Last edited by David Thomas; 08-06-13 at 07:26.
    FUNDAMENTALS: A crutch for the talentless

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I can't seem to find the torture test article online, it was from an AR15 magazine article. There are a few review articles done by law enforcement gear sites, though no where near as in depth as that magazine testing one...I really wish I could find it, I'll have to look around for the magazine at home. Like others have stated, the built on mount is very heavy duty and a definite plus. It took awhile to find a light mount for my G2X that I liked, I actually didn't like the VTAC mount for the surefire handheld lights, the gear sector mount was better for me. I tried out the mini scout based on the magazine article, product reviews, and handling one firsthand on a buddy's rifle. The only reason I went away from the factory mount was for a direct mount to my MOE handguards, which the magpul mount uses the factory attachments from the mini scout and pushes the light out farther past the front sight at about 2 o'clock, which was positioned perfectly for me.
    Last edited by Plumber237; 08-06-13 at 13:38.
    Do not go gentle into that good night...rage, rage against the dying of the light - Dylan Thomas

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you are attaching a G2X or similar light to an MOE handguard I would give a serious look at the IWC mount SMC 1 inch mount I believe is the exact model, though I would have to look very slim, very easy to install, and well made, however it ain't cheap running more than what I paid for my G2X Tactical.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If anything, be comparing them against similar lights - the VTAC L4 light is functionally the same tailcap/illum module, but off the E1 and E2 body instead of the Scout M300/X600 body.

The KX# heads are among the best weaponlight heads because of the simplicity and weight - the Z38 tailcap is the one I want on a weaponlight unless I'm using an X300 - I literally have no others I use anymore.

The integral mount is nice, and necessary for the NSN iteration - if you're running offset I think that advantage disappears. The pressure pad is good, but I also think the SR07 is even better - but I've taken to running the things with the stock tailcap at 12:00, and can't be happier.

They cost more because they're an immediately good lighting solution for carbines, with the flexibility of changing the tailcap to a pressure activated one (included or SR07); the mount to an aftermarket offset or QD; or the illum module upgraded to a dual-purpose V model. The VTAC L4 has a lot of that already going for it if you are partial to aftermarket mounts anyway.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Surefire Scout vs other Surefire lights

TehLlama, do you have the weight of the VTAC L4 by any chance? Just the light, no mount. I haven't been able to find it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast