Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LWRC 10.5, or LMT 10.5 upper?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    And if you are set on LMT vs. LWRC, LMT is superior.
    Last edited by scottryan; 08-08-10 at 17:49.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cs2to4 View Post
    I have recently been blessed with the opportunity to buy a 10.5" upper. From those with experience, which one would you pick? LWRC 10.5 or LMT 10.5 DI? I am currently running a H3 buffer and Wolff Extra Power Spring in my 14.5 SBR. Thanks for the input.

Your just setting yourself up for failure with an aftermarket spring, 10.5" piston, and H3 buffer.

Feedback Score
    If I was going to run a DI SBR it would have an 11.5" barrel. We issued Colt Commandos for swat and they work great.

Having been to Colt Armorer's course and rubbing elbows with other armorers I know the snobby Colt-only/DI mentality that Scotty has. I have two 10.5" SBR's, both LWRC, the other is in 5.56 and I've had it since 2006. It has run 100% through thousands of rounds, the only malfunction was from a bad AFM magazine that was choking one of our Colts. Scotty, what makes you say one is better than the other and what personal experience do have that an LWRC 10.5" will fail?

I'm responsible for over 100 Department owned Colt rifles (M4's and Commandos) and wouldn't hesitate recommending them. However, Colt is not the only manufacturer that makes a good product. I will put my LWRC's up against Colt anytime. As for LMT, like I said before, I have no experience with them. Hell, if I was going to buy a DI gun I would get a BCM and save myself the money.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Your just setting yourself up for failure with an aftermarket spring, 10.5" piston, and H3 buffer.
    I need to make an apology here. I didn't read this post thorough enough initially, its what I get for multi-tasking. I agree with Scotty on this, an extra power Wolff action spring and an H3 buffer is pretty strong for a properly gassed gun and would not be necessary for a 10.5 carbine of either operating system. LWRC uppers/rifles are tuned to use an H2 buffer and their action spring, somewhere between a standard M4 spring and an extra power spring. I don't know about LMT's set up but Colt Commandos and M4's use an H buffer and standard action spring.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Scotty, what makes you say one is better than the other and what personal experience do have that an LWRC 10.5" will fail?

I'm not big 10.5" guns of any brand or operating system because of the silencer issue.

I don't like DI 10.5" because I think they are not reliable enough. I have used Sabre and LMT DI 10.5" barrels on my main "go to" working shorty. They would not lock back on some Colt 20 round magazines with alloy followers when using M193.

Feedback Score
    I completely agree with you on the 10.5" DI guns, I had one that was finicky, but the 11.5's just seem to run with whatever you feed them. Of course, I'm sure the are those that run fine.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I completely agree with you on the 10.5" DI guns, I had one that was finicky, but the 11.5's just seem to run with whatever you feed them. Of course, I'm sure the are those that run fine.
    Guys what 10.5" gun are we talking about is it a factory gun or something built by a hobby gunsmith? There could be lots of reasons a gun is not running properly. It could be poor equipment or poorly assembled gear.

The OP was asking about 10.5" LMT & LWRC guns specifically.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Guys what 10.5" gun are we talking about is it a factory gun or something built by a hobby gunsmith?
    I have used LMT, Sabre, and Noveske.

They were built by myself.

I don't make mistakes during building.

I haven't been impressed with any brand 10.5" I have ever owned.
    Last edited by scottryan; 08-09-10 at 20:56.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    I have used LMT, Sabre, and Noveske.

They were built by myself.

I don't make mistakes during building.

I haven't been impressed with any brand 10.5" I have ever owned.
    What is up with the arrogance? If you built 'em and they don't work whose fault is that?

My personal factory built LMT 10.5" SBR runs like a top. Two of our work guns have factory LMT Uppers and they run like tops too.

I am looking forward to getting the tax stamp back on my factory BCM SBR so I can slap the BCM 11.5" Upper on it for a trip to the range.

I do not run a supressor.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    What is up with the arrogance? If you built 'em and they don't work whose fault is that?

Not mine.

I have a used Colt MK18 barrel that works fine.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast