Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win Ranger RA40180HP?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Win Ranger RA40180HP?

It's getting to be time to rotate out my carry ammo, but I'm not having any luck locating 180gr HST, Ranger T-Series, or GoldDot.

My local shop has a bunch of Ranger RA40180HP for a pretty decent price, though. The Win LE catalog lists this load as a 180gr JHP at 1020ft/s and 417ft-lbs. Do any of y'all have any experience with this load? I know it's not on the recommended list, but will it provide acceptable terminal performance?

Duty station here....duty station there...
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Have you thought about ordering ammo online? It's pretty easy to get what you want in .40S&W online now days.......a lot harder to find good 9mm and .45acp though.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...low-point-ammo

There's 180gr Gold Dots in stock if you're interested. That or 180gr Ranger Bonded.
    "A wise man's heart inclines him to the right, but a fool's heart to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2

Glock Armorer
    Sig Sauer Armorer
    Colt M16/M4 Armorer
    Remington 870/11-87 Armorer
    Firearms Instructor

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I order a good portion of my practice ammo online, but the places I usually deal with (Aim, Wideners, etc) don't generally stock high-end defensive ammo. Never ordered from Ammunition To Go before...I'll have to give them a look. Thanks for the link!

I'd still be interested to hear any info anyone has on the RA40180HP, however.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think you'll find that RA40180HP is loaded with the same bullet as regular Walmart USA40JHP to help meet a price when LEO agencies are looking for duty ammo when price is paramount.
    Last edited by Eliakim; 08-09-10 at 18:55.
    “We didn't love freedom enough. And even more - we had no awareness of the real situation... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Check your IM

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliakim View Post
    I think you'll find that RA40180HP is loaded with the same bullet as regular Walmart USA40JHP to help meet a price when LEO agencies are looking for duty ammo when price is paramount.
    Hmmm...I was wondering if that might be the case. Probably not the best stuff to use for self-defense, then.

I'll work on finding some higher quality rounds.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    IIRC this is the same ammo that the CHP used for many years, to good effect.

I certainly carry it without complaint if it was all I could get.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Interesting...That's good to know. I guess just because it's an old tech bullet doesn't necessarily mean it's bad...

The shop down the street has probably 15 cases of the stuff, so it's convenient to get at the moment. Maybe I'll go ahead and grab a couple hundred rounds while I work on getting some more T-series or Gold Dots.

Feedback Score
    These older bullets were state of the art 15 or 20 years ago. They tend to plug up and act like FMJ projectiles when shot through heavy clothing. They also often have significant degradation in terminal performance after first passing through intermediate barriers. Modern ammunition which has been designed for robust expansion against clothing and intermediate barriers is significantly superior to these older designs. I would only use them if I had no other option.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks Doc! These will hold me over, but I'm definitely working on getting a hold of something better long term.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast