Thread: Anyone use a FIST kydex pocket holster?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Anyone use a FIST kydex pocket holster?

Has anyone ever used one of these? Specifically I'm looking at the #K5. I like kydex better than leather. I also like the thumb push idea better than relying on some sort of flange on the holster to catch on your pocket during the draw.

It seems most all pocket holsters use the "snag" method. I prefer to have the pistol free of the holster while still in my pocket ... not completely "out", just ready to go if needed. Imagine you are alerted to a potential threat and instinctively place your hand on your pistol in your pocket. You take a good grip but the gun is still secured firmly in the holster. You "hope" during the draw from your pocket the pistol comes out clean. No thanks. I prefer to know it's out clean while still in my pocket. The thumb push FIST uses seems better than what I do now which is "find" a place on the holster body to push off with my trigger finger or thumb, depending on the particulars of the rig.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/k1/k5.htm

I am currently using a leather pocket holster for my Sig P238 but the leather flange is so large that it doesn't fit well in any pockets except large, square bottom cargo shorts.

I want something that will also work with dress slacks and other casual pants/shorts with less large, less square pockets. The whole purpose of a pocket pistol for me is to wear when I can't strap on a normal carry rig. This is normally when I'm wearing dress slacks, etc. I need a holster that works well with them. Heck, in cargo shorts/pants I can usually strap on a holster as I will most likely be wearing an untucked shirt.

If you have ANY experience with FIST kydex pocket holsters ... or any other kydex pocket holsters ... please share it with me. Tell me what worked, what didn't work, what pistol you used it with, what kind of pants/pockets it worked/didn't work with, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

No experience with their pocket holsters but I use a Fist for my EDC and I'm very pleased with their product.

Feedback Score
    I've used the FIST kydex pocket holster for a Walther PPS. It's very thin and does not print as much as something like a DeSantis Nemesis. With a gun the size of a P238, it is workable in a large cargo type pocket. However, it would likely print and draw poorly from most jeans or slacks with narrow pocket openings and tightness around the thigh.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder_Burn View Post
    However, it would likely print and draw poorly from most jeans or slacks with narrow pocket openings and tightness around the thigh.
    What I'm concerned with the most is the width and shape of the holster at the bottom. Do you think it would ride well in a pocket which angles/circles in? Cargo shorts are usually a full square and a wide bottom holster works better to hold it stable. If you put the same wide bottom holster in an angled pair of slacks it sits halfway up the pocket, the butt of the grip sticks out of the opening, and it looks like you have a book in your pocket.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'm going to pass on the FIST. I e-mailed and asked what the measurement on the bottom of the holster would be ... to see if it would work with more narrow dress pockets. The response was 5". YIKES. Not any better that what I'm currently using and not as flexible either. Sigh.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've used the fist pocket holster for the last year w/ my Glock 26 w/ CT laser. I've been very happy with the product. It does require sizable pockets to accommodate the dimensions of the baby glock but it carries it well, comfortably and accessibly. The holster is extremely thin and adds little to the size of the gun. The tab that you push to separate pistol from holster is effective and does not affect the comfort of the holster in any noticeable way.

From my personal experience it is a bit too big for slacks/khakis. You can do it for a short period of time, but it does look and feel like a brick. It does not stand out as much if you have darker pants though. For slacks I find that the largest I can go is a J-Frame in a mika pocket holster.

My only complaint is that after a year of use the kydex tab near the dust cover that helps to keep the muzzle down and stable has started to crack. I like the holster enough to order a replacement so take that for what its worth.

Good luck,
    GU
    DVC
    ABS : Cars = CTC Lasers : Pistols

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Ginsu .... that's a good write up. Thanks.

I think I am going to pass though. The overall size is what I was hoping to improve with the FIST. If that isn't going to happen I'll stick with what I have now.

Feedback Score
    I had a FIST pocket holster for my S&W 640. It lasted about 6 months before it cracked and became unusable.
    http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting realism and excellence in combative shooting.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    Ginsu .... that's a good write up. Thanks.

I think I am going to pass though. The overall size is what I was hoping to improve with the FIST. If that isn't going to happen I'll stick with what I have now.
    No worries let us know what you do go with and your thoughts on how it works.

GU
    DVC
    ABS : Cars = CTC Lasers : Pistols