Thread: TacSol Upper

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

TacSol Upper

Greetings -

It's been a while since I had my .22 upper out for some range time and yesterday afternoon in the middle of the DC heat wave, I found a perfect excuse to bring it out. My 10 yr old twins have been begging me to take them out to the range to start shooting something beyond their pellet rifles, so we headed over to the NRA Range in Fairfax for an hour of Father/Son time.

170 rounds of Wal-Mart Federal 550 bulk pack later, their grins were priceless. The TacSol upper had a total of 5 failures to feed out of 26 round Black Dog mags, however, it's possible it was from letting them sit loaded over the last 12 months. After the initial few rounds in the 26 round mags, the rest of the rounds came out just fine. Accuracy was good when we were shooting for scores (a little contest against 3" pasters at 10 yds - they got to shoot from the bench while I had to shoot free-standing - 5 pts for the 1/2" bull, 3 for 1" circle, 1 pt for everything else on the paster. After 10 rds, I only beat them by a point (26 vs 24 and 23)).

While an easier step up from a pellet gun is probably a light-weight bolt gun ala CZ-452 Scout or 10/22, the twins handled the AR platform very well. We'll be doing it again soon!

Cheers,
    Pk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm tempted to purchase a M&P 15-22 for exactly this purpose. Sounds like a good time.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like you had a good time! I think it's great that you are spending time with boys and doing something you all like to do. We need to keep the shooting tradition alive. I take my grandson (11 yrs) to the range almost every Sunday. He loves shooting the AR with the TacSol upper and shoots it very well.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I sold my tacsol upper to get a nordic one (the tacsol just wouldn't work for my purposes) but I definitely agree that a .22 upper is a fantastic gun for new shooters as it has the "wow" factor that goes with an AR15's aesthetics but is very easy to shoot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    I sold my tacsol upper to get a nordic one (the tacsol just wouldn't work for my purposes) but I definitely agree that a .22 upper is a fantastic gun for new shooters as it has the "wow" factor that goes with an AR15's aesthetics but is very easy to shoot.
    How do you like the Nordic? I've got a 20" bull barrel. So far I like it, but I only have about 350 rounds thru it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rman43 View Post
    Sounds like you had a good time! I think it's great that you are spending time with boys and doing something you all like to do. We need to keep the shooting tradition alive. I take my grandson (11 yrs) to the range almost every Sunday. He loves shooting the AR with the TacSol upper and shoots it very well.
    We really did - shooting has been a great bond between us and I'm very blessed that I can spend time with them on a wide variety of activities, including baseball and golf, training a new dog, repairing the tractor, woodworking...although out of all of them, the one thing they keep asking to do more of is shooting.

Cheers,
    Pk