Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Back injuries...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    To learn all this I had to hire a Medical Consultant ($$$) who became a Medical Consultant after going thru the same thing and having ADR and then deciding to sell his knowledge on the issue,(he does know the inside on everything ADR & is very good friends with Bertagnoli), etc. point is he is an obsessed avid skydiver and he has discs in back and neck and still jumps.

I asked my Doc if I could ride bulls again and he said he would never advise anyone to ride a bull, but that the ADR is capable of handling anything, but cautioned for me to stop running extreme long distance stuff and to keep at 10 miles or less, otherwise he said go for it.
    I do not worry about the ADR failing at all... I do worry about another one of "my" discs failing from past injuries and so as much as I wanted to ride at the Mile City Bucking Horse Sale... I decided rough stock is a thing of the past for me and I'll stick to roping and climbing rock & ice
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    WRT postural issues, google "lordosis gluteal amnesia". There is a lot of info out there. Essentially, prolonged sitting causes tightening of the psoas (hip flexors) , which tends to put the pelvis into anterior tilt, thus stretching and weakening the glutes. When the glutes don't fire properly, the spinal erectors are forced to pick up a lot of the slack with a lot of everyday movements (picking things up off of the ground, etc.), which can cause back pain.

It's kind of the "malfunction du jour" right now in a lot of athletic training circles but there is a lot of evidence that suggests it is a problem with a large segment of the population. Vlad please chime in if I'm wrong about anything here.

Jay
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer."
    — Frank Zappa

If the gun goes dry I use my knife. If the knife breaks off I use my teeth. I have only one rule - Start one job and see it through - The universe will have to offer someone else the leftovers. Multi tasking doesn't work in business or in gunfighting.
    - Michael de Bethencourt

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dookie1481 View Post
    WRT postural issues, google "lordosis gluteal amnesia". There is a lot of info out there. Essentially, prolonged sitting causes tightening of the psoas (hip flexors) , which tends to put the pelvis into anterior tilt, thus stretching and weakening the glutes. When the glutes don't fire properly, the spinal erectors are forced to pick up a lot of the slack with a lot of everyday movements (picking things up off of the ground, etc.), which can cause back pain.

It's kind of the "malfunction du jour" right now in a lot of athletic training circles but there is a lot of evidence that suggests it is a problem with a large segment of the population. Vlad please chime in if I'm wrong about anything here.

Jay
    Jay, that's my diagnosis of myself. I've been correcting the issue (and it's been a blast - plyometrics, weights, stretches: all the shit I lived for in HS and college). My left psoas is very tight as was my left piriformis. Things are getting better but the psoas affects my entire left leg.

No doctor has diagnosed me and I don't usually go to them for things such as this until my own "work" is ineffectual. Soon I'll request an MRI on the left hip joint to insure nothing is amiss there (like some had suggested). The book STRETCH TO WIN is invaluable and is where I've got my stretching routine from.

GR8 Post though I don't know how many realize it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345