Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Any opinions on this?

Feedback Score
    Not high speed or even trained low speed but I did stay on base a few nights.

In unarmed hand to hand if you get knocked backwards I was taught to roll out of it rather than land flat on my back or whack my head. I guess the next step could be roll out and draw/shoot.

He has some sort of british Para training. The brits are much less concerned about sweeps.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_Dinger View Post
    Damn funny.

Thanks. Some Colin Ferrel, LL Cool J stuff was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw that.

The rest of his ground work looked very similar to what my Dept teaches for "ground fighting" if you get knocked to the deck. They too teach a proper way to "roll" to the deck to avoid possible injury from items on the duty belt if they stick ya in the spine or kidney.

However their technique didn't actually involve a somersault, but more of a focus of making sure you go down calf, thigh, butt, and back trying to "roll" the body down and minimize impact.

Getting up sure didn't involve any flips either, but a focus on one handed weapon manipulation and firing as you move from on your back, to sitting, to kneeling, to standing, to getting the hell out of Dodge.

I'll check out the other thread mentioned. But for now I stand by my original observation.

-RD62

Edited to add: I can't find the thread mentioned above.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

That clip is a prime example of how you respond to things is based upon the way that you train. It is not unusual for various military people from Europe and some places in Asia to actually be taught and trained to shoot/fight from rolling postions. The French Foreign Legion teaches their soldiers to fight/punch/kick from various "down positions" and to fight their way back up to a standing form. The idea of the roll is to move you slightly so that you are not stationary too long so as you do not become a fixed target. What the foreign instructors do NOT acknowledge is that you can take a fatal bullet WHILE you are doing the tumbling act. Heck, I can shoot a guy tumbling around on the ground just as quick as I can shoot one standing still. Over here, we are known to practice shooting at moving targets so a foreign shooter doing his tumbling act is at the disadvantage because of the way we practice our shooting techniques. Most foreign troops practice shooting at FIXED targets while they move around so they expect their targets to remain non-moving while they move about. We practice some movement shooting (like side-stepping, moving to and from baricades, etc.) some of us also practice shooting at targets that move left to right, vice versa, towards us, away from us and so on. We develop speed naturally and over time. Other groups don't. They develop speed based upon stress conditions. In the 1970s and 80s the Russian Army commanders were allowed a 15% attrition rate or loss rate of material items AND personnel during training. Such a loss rate would NEVER be tolerated within our military forces at all. Rolling around like that puts observers and the guy doing the rolling around in serious danger of being shot by accident. I like OUR way of training and safely shooting.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234