Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .22 conversion

Feedback Score
    I had a couple FTE's on the first 100 rounds with mine, but it has been perfect the 2,400 rounds since. The other three kits I know of haven't had an issue, ever.

I'm using the park'd kit. I wipe it down with some brake clean or denatured alcohol on a rag, then put a light film of motor oil on it. Every now and then, I'll run a swab or .22 brush in the extention on a drill. I have went for more than 700 rounds between cleaning without a hiccup, and normall go 300-500 between cleaning.

Remember to wipe out the inside of your receiver and barrel extension when you're cleaning the kit. I also run a couple rounds of .223 through it to clean out the gas port, or shoot down the gas tube with compressed air.

I have had great luck with CMMG and Black Dog mags.

As mentioned above, it doesn't use the AR buffer to operate.

I got mine for $150 with 2 26 round mags.
    Last edited by moose01; 07-28-10 at 18:57.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caeser25 View Post
    What weight buffer are you guys using?
    Heres the "buffer" I made for my .22 parts gun. Its a plastic rod that I cut to length.

As far as parked or not, I have the parked CMMG unit. I wish I had gone with the Spikes instead. After all the dis-assembly, polishing, and replacing the extractor with one from Black Dog I spent just as much as if I had just bought the Spikes bolt in the first place. I keep it oiled with some lube that my Father-in-law picked up called Strike Hold and it runs flawlessly. The only problems I have had in the last 1500 rounds after re working it has been one stove pipe and one mis-fire. The BDM and CMMG mags both work equally well, but the BDM mags are preferred.

Feedback Score
    Was there something wrong with it that required disassembly, polishing, and replacing the extractor?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Ruger makes the best rimfire kit. It's called a 10/22.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Ruger makes the best rimfire kit. It's called a 10/22.
    Got one, but uh, it doesn't quite simulate my AR the way...my AR does...
    Last edited by moose01; 07-28-10 at 23:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The CMMG kit specifically call out Remington ammo as not recommended but does not elaborate.

Bummer cause I've got a footlocker full of that brand, any ideas?
    If God is just, I tremble for my country. - Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin_Martin View Post
    The CMMG kit specifically call out Remington ammo as not recommended but does not elaborate.

Bummer cause I've got a footlocker full of that brand, any ideas?
    I've run lots of Federal Wal-Mart packs, Winchester 333 packs, and Remmy through it, just fine.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Remington 22lr bulk SUCKS, all I can run in mine is Federal bulk....
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I run the Federal 550 bulk packs here, exclusively.
    "I have your number. Consider yourself warned."

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by moose01 View Post
    Was there something wrong with it that required disassembly, polishing, and replacing the extractor?
    It would jam about every second or third shot no matter what ammunition. The cause turned out to be several things: 1)The extractor hook was crap and not getting a firm grip on the rim. The BDM extractor fixed that. 2)The park on the whole unit was very heavy. Polishing all of the contact areas including the firing pin and the guide channels took care of this. 3) There was a bur in the guide channel where the hole for the extractor roll pin was drilled, causing alot of drag. A jewlers file fixed this. If I had bought the bolt from a retailer like Brownells I would have returned it, but I was able to fix these problems and now I am completely satisfied with it. I have the best luck with the Federal bulk and CCI mini mag.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast