Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hearing Pro - Surefire EP3?

Feedback Score

Hearing Pro - Surefire EP3?

Looking for opinions on good ear pro, specifically earbud style devices that allow low dB noises to still be heard reasonably well. I've heard a lot about the Surefire EP3 but unfortunately 'EP3' can't be searched here so didn't find much...

What's the word on the EP3's in terms of overall protection and ability to hear normal conversations? I already have a cheap pair of electronic muffs which are OK, but are real bulky and leave a lot to be desired. Will the EP3's offer me the same performance but without the bulky package? Comfort is a HUGE issue, too...I usually have a hard time wearing silicone style hearing-pro, at work I always stick to the foam plugs else I go nucking futs.

What other options are out there like the EP3?

I'll be using these in classes and matches, handgun, rifle and shotty. So needs to offer good protection from the long guns, too. Won't be doing any magnum rifle shooting or anything like that with these.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Ear Pro EP-3 Sonic Defenders by Surefire work well for outdoor use - best ear plugs I have used to date. I also have some AOSafety/Peltor Indoor/Outdoor Range E-A-R Plugs and while they work they are not as nice as the EP-3s. In the .mil there were times where the disposable yellow plugs were used and while they worked okay I would not recommend them if you have other options. For indoor use I never use just plugs.

Feedback Score
    I use the EP4 version in the large size. Not to gross you out, but I lick them before I put them in and they seal a lot better. The EP4s have a smaller plug in the main plug to let voices thru better. I usually just close the little plugs if I'm shooting a rifle indoors. They are only like $14, try a pair.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    I bought two pair of EP-3 Surefire Sonic Defenders, Medium, earlier today.

Tried them out at the range.

16db seems about right.

Very comfortable and wiggling them into the ear canal seems to be the way to get the best, quickest fit.

Even outdoors I consider them good for the occassional gun shot (hunting, precision rifle class, etc).

Given the constant gunshots, at the break I ended up switching to my usual purple Flents (Walmart has the 50 pair tub) that are 33db rated.
    Last edited by danpass; 03-07-10 at 00:22.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I found the EP3s were too small for my ear canals. I ended up replacing them with the EP4. They are awesome and work as advertised. I have used them at indoor and outdoor ranges without a problem and have encounter everything from 22's to 308. I also wear them when I'm on my motorcycle. It definitely cuts down on the exhaust and wind noise. Gotta save the hearing.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I have been using a set of these for a while now and have been pretty happy with them. I like the fact that they allow me to have a conversation with them in(with the center plugs out) during cease fires. I try to keep my ear muffs close by for times when someone steps up to the line and starts unloading their 44mag right beside my head. They didn't quite do the job in that case Overall, they are effective, comfortable, and cheap ear pro. I have the EP3 model, it looks like theEP4 model offers a bit more db protection.

Here's Surefires web page link:
    http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

•16dB Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) for EP3 Sonic Defenders with stoppers in
    •19dB Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) for EP4 Sonic Defenders Plus with stoppers in
    Last edited by Quiet-Matt; 03-07-10 at 10:01.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I used them in Afghanistan and they worked like a champ. Excellent product, highly recommended.

Feedback Score
    I'm still trying to understand the size situation between the -3 and -4.

The sizing chart doesn't differentiate between the two models.

The -3 fit me perfect but I'd like to have that extra 3 db of the -4 if possible.
    Last edited by danpass; 03-07-10 at 15:02.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Both 3 and 4 come in medium and large, but if you need small I think you can only get it in the 3. The size difference is not so much the stem that goes into the ear canal, but more the size of the earpiece that goes in the ear lobe; or what they call the "helix bowl".
    I have small ears and my father-in-law has big ears, but we both wear size medium. Surefire claims that Medium should fit most people.

Feedback Score
    I'm going to try and grab a pair this week before the match next weekend...I'll try the 3 and 4's and see which works best, if the 4's fit OK I'll certainly like the extra attenuation.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast