Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues with new TLR-1S?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Issues with new TLR-1S?

We have a few guys here that have started to use the new Streamlight TLR-1S and have stated they are having issues with them. Supposedly the lights are automaticly turning switching to strobe under recoil. HAs anyone else heard of this issue or if there is a way to eliminate it? I'm going to get my hands on one next week and put some rounds through it in order to see if I can replicate the problem myself.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have been running a Glock 17 w/ TLR-1s for about 7 months. Light never leaves the Glock, it stays on both on and off duty. Not 100% sure about the round count, but it has at least 2000 rds downrange. No problems to date, but it will be interesting to see what you find. I would have to pull out the manual, but IIRC there is a way to disable the strobe.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    NoRmally I'd think this would be an operator issue or maybe a bad light but I've several people come up and say the same thing to me. We'll see if I can replicate it next week. I've also heard that the strobe can be disabled, but I don't know if that will eliminate the problem or not

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrolAR View Post
    NoRmally I'd think this would be an operator issue or maybe a bad light but I've several people come up and say the same thing to me. We'll see if I can replicate it next week. I've also heard that the strobe can be disabled, but I don't know if that will eliminate the problem or not
    I ran the TLR1s at the low light portion of a EAG pistol 2 class. I had the strobe come on unintentionally when using the momentary toggle. Support hand thumb toggles down for momentary. Under recoil, if I didn't control my G17 well and it happened to move around too much, my thumb lost contact with the toggle very briefly causing the strobe to turn on. I didn't have any problems with the light switched to "ON". Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    The strobe can be disabled by tapping the momentary switch 9 times and holding it on the 10th press. The light should then go out after 1 sec to confirm that the programming has worked. Repeat the procedure to re-enable the strobe.

Feedback Score
    I carry a TLR 1s on my Sig duty pistol. Never had the problem you are describing. I have performed numerous building entries with the TLR-1s. I actually do not care for the strobe as it is highly distracting to the operator and other members of the entry team. A steady bright light is much safer and less distracting.

I understand the idea that the strobe tends to stun and confuse a person for the first few seconds of engagement, but this does not outweight using a simple steady bright light.

I will never buy another TLR 1s again. It will be either the standard TLR-1 or Surfire X300

Also, don't wast your money on a model with a laser. Lasers are another misnomer. They are only good for marking a target for another shooter in a controlled shooting incident. Other than that, the laser is proven to cause the operator to soley focus on the red dot and its location. This is a major safety issue for an active shooting situation as it distracts the operator. Lasers are best left for military operations rather than law enforcement.

Lasers and strobes are simply unnecessary cannon fauder! In my humble opinion!!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LRChops View Post
    Lasers and strobes are simply unnecessary cannon fauder! In my humble opinion!!
    How about lasergrips on a JFrame BUG that really has no sights and may well be shot one handed, from the ground, at an odd angle?

From my own use and testing during duty use strobes *can* be used to some effect with some adjustment and techniques, but they are no laser death ray and probably not worth training an entire team around their use.

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    How about lasergrips on a JFrame BUG that really has no sights and may well be shot one handed, from the ground, at an odd angle?

From my own use and testing during duty use strobes *can* be used to some effect with some adjustment and techniques, but they are no laser death ray and probably not worth training an entire team around their use.

Dennis.
    Well, I also beleive laser grips are a novelty. I have a set that came on my Sig P220 from the factory. Most shootings occur within a few feet (within 5 feet) which basically rules out the laser as having any effect. The laser should never replace instinctive shooting at close range. I was involved in a shoot where the incident happened in less than a few seconds. There is no way I would have been able to actuate and focus on a laser.

Lasers are good for distant taget marking for team members to identify.

What example of a situation do you have where your strobe has made a difference or gave you a tactical advantage?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you guys dont mind; take the talk about the use of strobes and lasers to another thread please.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Alrighty; my unoffical test has been completed. I put approximately 60 rounds through a M&P40 (same as our duty guns) with the TLR-1s attached. I shot the pistol with a variety of grips and was unable to replicate the issue. In fact; the only time I had the light turn on accidently was when I was attaching the light to the gun.

Looks like the entire thing was an operator headspace and timing issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast