Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leatherman Wave alternatives

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Leatherman Wave alternatives

I'm about to order another one to add to my gear and was thinking of maybe looking into other options, either Leatherman models or other brands entirely. Please no "about to drop" options like the MUT or Emerson, etc. Just currently available models.

I'm somewhat intrigued by the Gerbers with the "out the front" one-handed plier opening, although I confess I've always been able to open my Waves with a kind of butterfly knife technique. The question I have re: the Gerbers is how are the knife blades accessed? Is it a question of giving up easy access to the blades in exchange for easy access to the pliers?

Feedback Score
    If you are talking about the 600 series, they require you slide the pliers out so you can open the handles to access the blade. It's nowhere near as handy as the wave. Gerber also makes some new models with one handed opening knife blades like the flik. http://gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/29
    I have no idea how they compare to the wave since I kind of swore off gerber years ago.

If you want access to all implements without opening the pliers there is always the swisstool series from victorinox. You lose the one handed opening knife blade though. Is easy access to the knife blade important to you?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You have to slide out the pliers to get to the interiors of the handles, where the accessory tools and knives are stored.

It's just a different manual-of-arms.

EDIT: I'm of the opinion that the metal used in the Gerber tools is a good chunk more brittle, anyway. I've always managed to break the knife blades and flat-tip screwdrivers, whereas I don't do so with the Leatherman series, doing the same sort of work with either. Also swore them off, though I still have one that I'll use until I destroy it completely.
    Last edited by JSantoro; 07-29-10 at 09:21.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'll just stick with what I know then. Thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Take a look at s.o.g.'s offerings. The paratool and the power assist have really caught my eye. Both seem like they'd be pretty versatile and quite useful.
    Acta Non Verba

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've tried most of the available brands of multi tools, and I keep going back to the Leatherman Wave.

I've broken one pair of the Gerber pliers, and one Gerber knife blade, so I agree that the Gerber's seem more brittle.

I find that I personally use the one hand opening blade feature of the blades on the Wave much more than the other tools, so that seems to be the most convenient multi tool feature for me.

But, the single handiest multi tool I own is a Leatherman Micra, as I actually carry it in my pocket every day, whereas I find the larger multi tools relegated to my day pack or training chest rig.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I keep a Skeletool clipped on me at all times at home. Gets a workout, especially with the bottle opener.

Feedback Score
    Good plan on sticking with the wave. For me it's one of my favorite multitools and was what got me away from gerbers in the first place.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Considering the Surge TTi. Like the idea of the "gut hook" on one of the blades. Adds about $40 to the price of the Wave though...

Plus I actually like the shiny surface on the Wave. One of my current Waves is the black and I'm constantly worried about losing it on the range. Much prefer bright & shiny objects out there.

Feedback Score
    I prefer the angle of the Leatherman's handle (where the handles won't picnh the palm of your hand when the jaws of the pliers make contact. I have caught the meat of my palm several times in my Gerber (whose handles make contact when the jaws of the pliers are closed) when using the wire cutters to cut wire when I didn't have anything else. I have had screws loosen on the Gerber. My Leatherman has never worked itself loose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast