Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leatherman Wave alternatives

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I 2nd the Victronix SwissTool. I have been running a Spirit X since last August. It replaced a Gerber 600 series which I did appreciate for the one handed opening feature.

The SwissTools have the tightest lockup of any multitool I have found. I also like the shape of the standard Swiss Army knife blade. I think it is great for food prep like cutting apples or cheese. The saw has been used to trim small limbs from a holly tree in my yard in no time flat. I like the scissors as well. The shape of the handles when using the pliers insures that you can't pinch your plams if the jaws slip on a nut and lose their purchase.

I find myself carrying and using this tool daily and highly recommend it over the other options currently available. I think I paid 80.00 for it.

Good luck in your search and feel free to PM me with any questions.
    1700 Shadow

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    i haven't found a good alternative to my original (pre-2004) wave (the one without the removable bit). i like it better than the charge TTi i have.
    the crunch is another fave of mine for the vice grips. not many tools, but still very useful.

Feedback Score
    Stick with the Wave. Mine has never failed me, and it is part of my EDC.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    in a full size multitool, I really like the Leatherman Core.

Leatherman says it's: "One of two Leatherman 4.5" tools, the Core has our most powerful pliers, longer blades, and easy-to-use locks. It's also the first Leatherman to feature hollow-ground screwdrivers in the standard sizes that professionals use. The Core's comfortable handles are rounded to give even the biggest hands a firm grip on the toughest jobs."

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Core

I found it cheap at Sears packaged with a handy little keychain/Ballcap light:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=00912973000P

it also works with the Bit Driver:

http://www.leatherman.com/accessorie...ble_Bit_Driver
    Last edited by ra2bach; 08-03-10 at 14:42.
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Gets a workout, especially with the bottle opener.
    The bottle opener on my Micra gets quite a lot of use, too. But, you're probably faster on the draw with the skeletool since you don't have to fold the opener out of the handle.
    Last edited by carshooter; 08-04-10 at 10:37.

Feedback Score

Cool

I'm waiting on the MUT. That may replace my ole Original Leatherman.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberM4 View Post
    I'm waiting on the MUT. That may replace my ole Original Leatherman.
    I really like the looks of the MUT, too.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    By all accounts the MUT is going to be huge. I still want one (or two) but it won't replace what I do with the Wave.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    For some reason, I love my Gerber Suspension(s). Mine has traveled around the world twice, fixed satellite equipment (that a leatherman broke itself on), and has been reasonably easy to clean. It's not the best multitool, but at the price they're at I went ahead and got three more.

I like how easy the extra tools are to get to without opening up the tool, and the edges on the knife and saw are quite durable, and reasonably sharp.

Dirt does get into everything if given enough time, the phillips screwdriver on it sucks, and the locking mechanism isn't as easy to use as the leatherman or SOG models, but on the whole I'm really happy with it.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Considering the Surge TTi. Like the idea of the "gut hook" on one of the blades. Adds about $40 to the price of the Wave though...

Plus I actually like the shiny surface on the Wave. One of my current Waves is the black and I'm constantly worried about losing it on the range. Much prefer bright & shiny objects out there.
    My Charge TTi has a stainless finish despite the handles looking black in the pics I've seen...I'm not sure if there're different options or what the deal is.

I thought they may have sent me the wrong tool.But it has Charge TTi right on the handle and it has all of the features that it should.Bought new from Amazon(directly) and it certainly doesn't appear to be a knock-off.

Excellent tool.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast