Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I need a new AK...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I think I need a new AK...

My current AK is a fairly early production Lancaster rifle built from a Romy-G kit on an Armory USA receiver. I bought it back in the day before Lancaster flushed their rep down the toilet.

I haven't fired it all that much, but it has been reliable so far. It has several little build issues, though, that could end up being a problem. Biggest is that some of the rivets don't seem to be seated completely. Stuff is crooked, too (FSB, trigger guard, maybe rear trunnion)

Anyway, I want an AK that I can trust to be GTG for training and self defense. I have enough question in my mind about my current rifle to not trust it 100%. Not to mention that it's tainted with the taint of Lancaster...

I've been kicking around the idea of having it cut up and rebuilt on a NoDak by someone who knows what they're doing. It'd probably be another $300 or $400 investment, though, so I'm wondering if it might not be better to just unload it and put the money towards something of known quality. Just not sure what that would be these days. Been looking at the Krebs KTR-88...Looks nice, and I hear good things about their builds, but they're $$$. Probably have to sell something else in addition to the Lancaster to fund one.

What do y'all think? Rebuild or replace?

Feedback Score
    Arsenal has a great reputation. I like mine.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'll have to look into Arsenal...Didn't give them much thought before, but they'd probably be a good middle of the road option between rebuilding and dropping $1400 on a Krebs.

What model is your Arsenal?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Exclamation

Hold on to your money and wait to see if Arsenal puts on the same sale they did last year. Right before the year's end they put their SGL21s on sale for $499. Many other models were reduced too but the SLG21s were the best deal bar far.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Hmmm...The SLR-107F looks nice. Price isn't all that bad either.

I've been reading some of the past threads here about Arsenal rifles. Seems they were having some QC issues in the past and were shipping rifles that had feed problems or canted FSBs. Have those issues been resolved? Also, do they have a more robust finish these days? I read quite a few posts about it being very easy to strip off. It's going to be a working rifle, so probably NBD, but I'd like it to not look like hell after the first cleaning session.

I see my FFL is listed as a dealer...Might have to swing by and talk to him about ordering one.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Hold on to your money and wait to see if Arsenal puts on the same sale they did last year. Right before the year's end they put their SGL21s on sale for $499. Many other models were reduced too but the SLG21s were the best deal bar far.
    Interesting...Have to keep that in mind.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    What model is your Arsenal?
    slr 106cr, I believe. I plan on SBR'ing it in the near future.

The finish is just paint as far as I can tell. When I have the barrel chopped I'll also have the paint stripped and a more durable finish applied.
    Last edited by TriumphRat675; 09-29-10 at 17:58.

Feedback Score
    I have a SAM-7 and SAM-5 Arsenal and they run like raped apes.

Feedback Score
    How bad are the rivets? Can you post a picture?

It may be merely cosmetic. I've seen original rivets on parts kits that look like they'd been formed with rocks.

Feedback Score
    I would buy a arsenal SGL-21. Like a few other posters, I would wait because around november of last year they ran a sale on them for $499.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast