Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Colt M4A1 SOCOM Barrel

Feedback Score
    I hope this will be a good enough substitute budget wise for me.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-S...m4-16socom.htm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rljatl View Post
    Wonder how much smaller the groups would be with 77gr. SMKs?
    They wouldn't have been smaller. This particular barrel showed a slight accuracy preference at 100 yards for the 55 grain BlitzKings over the 77 grain MatchKings and Hornady 75 grain OTM bullets.
    All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoTex View Post
    Nice write up and instruction.

Do you happen to have similar data for an original M4 profile barrel, how do the two compare?

I was given to understand that accuracy-wise they should be practically the same, and that the M4A1 SOCOM Profile was adopted because the thicker barrel yields a higher tolerance to extended fully automatic fire.

Unfortunately, most of my data on the standard 14.5” Colt M4 barrels was lost due to a hard-drive crash. However, the accuracy results were basically the same as those of the Colt 16” M4 profile barrels. The M4/government profile barrels tend to show more variation in accuracy from barrel to barrel than the heavier profile barrels.

One such Colt 16” M4 profile barrel tested in the same manner as described in my original post of this thread produced three 10-shot groups from 100 yards that had extreme spreads of:

1.42”
    1.19”
    1.56”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 1.39”. The mean radius for the 30-shot composite group was 0.44”.

Another Colt 16” M4 profile barrel produced three 10-shot groups from 100 yards that had extreme spreads of:

1.59”
    1.55”
    1.73”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 1.62”. The mean radius of the 30-shot composite group was 0.54”.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank you very much. The data falls in line with my expectations.

Not that it makes a huge difference for me since I'm doing good to shoot about even a third as well as any of these barrels do, but it's useful objective information nonetheless.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post

This would be awesome to see with an A2 type barrel . . .

These results are from one of the most accurate Colt 20” A2 government profile barrels that I’ve tested. Naturally, the barrel has a NATO chamber, chrome lining and a 1:7” twist rate. The barrel was free-floated with a KAC free-float handguard.

Three 10-shot groups of hand-loaded Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings were fired from the bench-rest set-up from a distance of 100 yards. The extreme spreads of those three groups measured 1.21”, 1.24” and 1.32” for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 1.26”. A 30-shot composite group was formed using RSI Shooting Lab software. The mean radius for the 30-shot group was 0.40”.

Last edited by Molon; 08-26-10 at 18:27.

Feedback Score
    thanks for that...and i also love your posts. always informative. i see BCM now has 14.5" socom uppers in stock...hmmm
    Last edited by rychencop; 09-05-10 at 02:49.
    “If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.”

Feedback Score
    I find the Socom barrels always a bit heavy but that's to me.
    The most powerful weapon in the WORLD is the Marine.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, Molon.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the informative post on Colt M4A1 SOCOM Barrel. It is both informative and helped create a good discussion of a barrel based on scientific data. Look forward to your next post.

Feedback Score
    Concise evaluation and much useful information, as usual!

I may have missed it, but do you have more of your barrel evaluations on-line? Have you done any on the current popular suppliers like Noveske, DD, and BCM?

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast