Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Optics for LMT MWS

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

Optics for LMT MWS

I have a LMT MWS on order and I was wondering what kind of optics to put on it.

What optics are you using on your MWS, KAC SR25, OBR, SCAR H (Other 7.62 rifle)?

What is your reasoning behind using that particular optic?

The only .308 rifles that I have shot/own either have hunting scopes or iron sights only.
    Last edited by Crow Hunter; 08-03-10 at 12:10.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Application will make a bigger difference in optics choice than caliber.

If your use mirrors the performance envelope of a 5.56 gun, the optics will be pretty similar.

One neat aspect of the new "higher power" low-power variables is that they let you put longer legs on the rig with a projectile that can do more work at long range without being relegated to mid distance and further only.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I should have been more descriptive.

Sorry about that.

I was wondering what optics would best utilize the increased capabilities of the platform.

I was kind of leaning towards the ACOG but your comment about the variables has got me to thinking...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mission drives gear, even if "mission" is just an overdramatic way saying how and what you want to shoot, at what distances, under what conditions. Be realistic, and you'll narrow it down a good chunk.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    I don't have any of these guns you speak of. If I did I would look into either Night Force or Schmidt and Bender. In the few reviews I've looked into everyone seems to agree that the S&B has better glass. They also cost as much as those .308 guns you listed! Well, hopefully that gives you a start?

Feedback Score
    My MWS is set up with a NIGHTFORCE 2.5-10x24.
    I may replace it with the S&B 1-8 once it hits the market and I can get some trigger time behind one.
    BUY IT CHEAP AND STACK IT DEEP

Feedback Score
    I'm using a US Optics SN-3 ERGO 3.2-17x44 on my OBR. My reasoning is that I wanted it for precision shots. If I was going more for quick acquisition, I would have put an RDS or a lower powered scope like a 1-4 or even a 2.5-10.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What about a fixed 6x? I have a TA648 and I think it's great on a 7.62

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That's a bit bulky and heavy, given what's available. The Brits are using that on their MWSs, but that's mostly because they had the things lying around after being used as a GPMG optic. The reticle basically matches the round they're firing, so they just slapped them on. It works, but there's better, lighter, more flexible options out there when you don't have somebody with glittery stuff on their collar (or epaulets) telling you what you may or may not use.

NF optics are a very reasonable choice, especially the 2.5-10x and they offer lots of other magnification options; same with a lot of the Leupold optics.

The S&B 1x8 is gonna be sweet, but I'm keeping an eye our for one of these babies: http://www.premierreticles.com/pdfs/2010-V81-8x.pdf

*boing*
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I got a NF 2.5-10x32 with LV reticle in a LaRue SPR sitting in my closet waiting for my LMT 308 MWS to get here. Looked at the TA55 ACOG, too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast