Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Optics for LMT MWS

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have decided to give a 1-4x accupoint a try on my mws. I feel like that is a nice scope to go with the "battle rifle" theme I am leaning toward. I believe the triangle reticle will allow hits on a torso sized steel plate with out any trouble out to about 300 yards. Past that I am still unsure of how well the accupoint will work because I have zero experience with one.

Feedback Score
    Has anybody gotten their hands on the updated Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5? As I understand it they have increased the brightness of the reticule making it a much more attractive option.I am in the same boat as I am picking up a new optic for a trip to the Ghan and I am leaning towards a variable optic.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1ajunkie View Post
    I have decided to give a 1-4x accupoint a try on my mws. I feel like that is a nice scope to go with the "battle rifle" theme I am leaning toward. I believe the triangle reticle will allow hits on a torso sized steel plate with out any trouble out to about 300 yards. Past that I am still unsure of how well the accupoint will work because I have zero experience with one.
    I am leaning in that direction too. I am currently running a T1 and it works well..but I feel that a little more magnification would be nice. I am kinda liken the no battery idea.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I haven't decided on an optic, but I have decided on a "mission".

I want to be able to make effective hits on a man sized target out to 600 yards. I guess it would qualify as a DMR.

What optic would be the best for this?

I have a TR24 that I have thought about using for this role like m1ajunkie but I am not sure that it has the features that I want to get me out to 600 yards. (I can dial it up but I don't have any means of ranging other than Mk1 eyeball.)

I would prefer an optic that would have a method of ranging built into the optic (mil-dots, BDC tree with chest width stadia, etc) and either a means of holding over or finger adjustable turrets that can be clicked up.

My experience with optics are as follows:

Aimpoint M4s (6920)
    Leupold VXII 2-7x scopes (Browning A-Bolt)
    Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x (Colt 6724)
    Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x (6920)

I don't own or have any experience with other optics so I am not sure what is out there that will meet my wants. (Notice I didn't say needs, I don't know what I need, I am not that experienced.)

The only "ranging" that I have done in the past is with the Leupold Vari-X 3 scopes. If you bracket the chest of a deer and look at the ring zoom setting and you approximate the range.

So what do you guys think?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post

I want to be able to make effective hits on a man sized target out to 600 yards. I guess it would qualify as a DMR.

I have a TR24 that I have thought about using for this role like m1ajunkie but I am not sure that it has the features that I want to get me out to 600 yards. (I can dial it up but I don't have any means of ranging other than Mk1 eyeball.)

I would prefer an optic that would have a method of ranging built into the optic (mil-dots, BDC tree with chest width stadia, etc) and either a means of holding over or finger adjustable turrets that can be clicked up.

Aimpoint M4s (6920)

I don't own or have any experience with other optics so I am not sure what is out there that will meet my wants. (Notice I didn't say needs, I don't know what I need, I am not that experienced.)

The only "ranging" that I have done in the past is with the Leupold Vari-X 3 scopes. If you bracket the chest of a deer and look at the ring zoom setting and you approximate the range.

I would look at the leupold 1.5-5x mk4 scope. It has 1/2moa adjustments with a bdc elevation turrent, illumination, and a more precise reticle than the accupoint. I do not own one and only have about 5 min worth of range time on one so I am no expert. If I find I don't like the accupoint due to lack of ranging or hold over capabilities, then this leupold is my second choice.

Feedback Score
    Do some research on the various reticles choices available on the Nightforce 2.5-10x32. All have target knobs, and the reticles are available in:

A) Mildot Reticle - Generally the favorite for Ranging distances.

B) MOA Reticle - for the people like me that are too lazy to learn how to think in Mils, (but can run ballistics software).

C) Velocity Reticle - Three slightly different fixed configurations for either Low Velocity, Medium Velocity, or High Velocity bullets. It's very important to know the ballistics of your load before making a choice here.

It's also important to match the reticle and turrets to the same configuration. (Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Aimpoint M4s (6920)

Conditions would have to be VERY bad for you not to be able to hit minute of man @ 600 with a 4x 7.62 system. And if they were that bad you wouldn't hit with a 10x either.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantaguns View Post
    Conditions would have to be VERY bad for you not to be able to hit minute of man @ 600 with a 4x 7.62 system. And if they were that bad you wouldn't hit with a 10x either.
    If you can see and identify that which you are shooting.
    Its the primary advantage of high magnification.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    I have 2 AR Platforms in .308

1) 20" REPR with Nightforce NXS F1 model - this weapon fills my fire support platform needs for engaging multiple targets out to 800-900 yards using 175 grain FGMM. It backs up my precision bolt guns (.338 LM) that are for single kills out to 1500 yards.

2) 16" MWS that is waiting either the 1-8X SB or Premier when they hit the market. It will be my trunk gun for CQB and distances out to 600 meters with 168 grain TAP. One of you guys needs to take one for the team and buy both the SB and Premier and do a head-to-head review...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1ajunkie View Post
    If that is your requirement or "mission" for your MWS, then the TR24 AccuPoint with the triangle reticle will work great. Anything beyond 300 yards, and you will want something with more legs and a better ranging reticle.

On my 5.56 16" middy patrol rifle, the TR24G's green triangle works well from 0-300yards. I have no complaints.

If I was outfitting one of these .308 AR platform rifles for myself, I would probably opt for something with more magnification (atleast 6x) & a better ranging ret.
    Last edited by nickdrak; 08-13-10 at 03:17.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast