Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Optics for LMT MWS

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak View Post
    If that is your requirement or "mission" for your MWS, then the TR24 AccuPoint with the triangle reticle will work great. Anything beyond 300 yards, and you will want something with more legs and a better ranging reticle.

On my 5.56 16" middy patrol rifle, the TR24G's green triangle works well from 0-300yards. I have no complaints.

If I was outfitting one of these .308 AR platform rifles for myself, I would probably opt for something with more magnification (atleast 6x) & a better ranging ret.
    I would like something with more than 4x, but still want the 1x as most of my shooting is 100 yards and in. I make it to the 300 yard range about 1x per month and the 650 yard range about 1x per year so until I get some time with the accupoint it seems to be a nice optic for what I intend to use the mws for.

When I get the 18" stainless barrel I will get an optic with more magnification for sure.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m1ajunkie View Post
    I would like something with more than 4x, but still want the 1x as most of my shooting is 100 yards and in. I make it to the 300 yard range about 1x per month and the 650 yard range about 1x per year so until I get some time with the accupoint it seems to be a nice optic for what I intend to use the mws for.

When I get the 18" stainless barrel I will get an optic with more magnification for sure.
    Beyond 300 yards you can probably dial your DOPE. If you paint in a couple of marks on the elevation dial for 400/500/600 yard drops, it's pretty easy to spin these up as required.

Of course, this is for practical accuracy, not for true precision stuff.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I recently got an 18" SS MWS.

How do I know if the NF 2.5-10x32 is right for me?

Can this shoot out to 800/1000m fine? Could one hunt with this scope? I suppose those are my only two needs, and hunting is optional.

Was thinking of getting the mil/mil model to keep things simple.

(And yes, of course I used the search function).
    http://parrotheadjeff.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Shooter-Jack-rkba.gif

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    I recently got an 18" SS MWS.

How do I know if the NF 2.5-10x32 is right for me?

Can this shoot out to 800/1000m fine? Could one hunt with this scope? I suppose those are my only two needs, and hunting is optional.

Was thinking of getting the mil/mil model to keep things simple.

(And yes, of course I used the search function).
    Depends on what you are shooting at that range. 10x was suitable for a long time, but when more power is an option most people like more power. If lots of shooting will be done at that range, I would opt for more. If most shooting will be done shorter then you may find that sufficient. Honesty with ourselves about what we really will do with it makes things easier. If anyone has been dishonest with himself about how much/what use an item will get, it is me! Honesty will save you from frustration.

I would second your move to go mil/mil. I cannot fathom why some people still choose mixed units of measure.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Most of the ranges around here only go out to 100yd, sometimes 200yd.

Once I have this rifle I would try to go out of my way into shooting at longer distances, at least 500m.

The consensus I've seen in research is that if its 10x or less, then SFP is OK, but if it's higher than 10, then FFP is preferred.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Most of the ranges around here only go out to 100yd, sometimes 200yd.

Once I have this rifle I would try to go out of my way into shooting at longer distances, at least 500m.

The consensus I've seen in research is that if its 10x or less, then SFP is OK, but if it's higher than 10, then FFP is preferred.
    Having a 1-4, 1-8, 2.5-10, 3-18, and a 5-20... FFP is always preferred besides in a 1-4 power in my opinion. Perhaps not so ironically, my 1-4 is the only SFP optic I own.

More specifically, if you plan to mostly live at or above 50% of magnification AND your reticle is mil/moa hash/dot/grid, choose FFP.
    If you plan to at least spend a lot of time shooting at minimum magnification and especially if your low end power is 1x, I'd carefully consider SFP because a visible reticle is better than a very hard to see reticle. It really depends on the magnification max and min as well as the specific reticle to determine if any given optic is usable at minimum power FFP.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 07-14-15 at 19:42.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Speaking of honesty, I guess that the NXS 2.5-10x32 popped into my head because those are often mounted on SPR type rifles. I would guess that I would shoot at 10x more just because you could better see the target.

My weird logic goes that while an SPR and LMT MWS are not in the same calibers, their use-cases are pretty much similar (DMR type riflery), therefore I guess I assumed that any glass decently suitable for an SPR should also work OK with an MWS.

Let's just say that my goal is to have a rifle that can pull DMR duty. I want it to be able to hit steel targets and silhouettes out to 1Km as my upper limit.

So with this information, am I looking at the right scope? (in spite of the fact that it's SFP)

Another option could be for me to look at Vortex stuff which I hear is pretty decent or the NF NXS 3.5-15x50 (which is what was on my actual rifle when owned by a previous owner). I do wonder if the larger NXS would add too much weight and be too long and thus make this rifle less mobile. I would like to take it hunting given that chance.
    Last edited by rojocorsa; 07-14-15 at 20:25.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Went with a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32 and love it. It really depends on what your budget is and when you'll be shooting.

For reference:

I did have a Zeiss Conquest at a time.. Think it was a 6.5-20x50.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Speaking of honesty, I guess that the NXS 2.5-10x32 popped into my head because those are often mounted on SPR type rifles. I would guess that I would shoot at 10x more just because you could better see the target.

My weird logic goes that while an SPR and LMT MWS are not in the same calibers, their use-cases are pretty much similar (DMR type riflery), therefore I guess I assumed that any glass decently suitable for an SPR should also work OK with an MWS.

Let's just say that my goal is to have a rifle that can pull DMR duty. I want it to be able to hit steel targets and silhouettes out to 1Km as my upper limit.

So with this information, am I looking at the right scope? (in spite of the fact that it's SFP)

Another option could be for me to look at Vortex stuff which I hear is pretty decent or the NF NXS 3.5-15x50 (which is what was on my actual rifle when owned by a previous owner). I do wonder if the larger NXS would add too much weight and be too long and thus make this rifle less mobile. I would like to take it hunting given that chance.
    If you can afford a Leupold Mk6 3-18x44 with a H-59 reticle, I'd go for that before anything else. Just saying.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Leupold MK6 3-18

Leupold MK6 1-6

Leupold MK8 1.1-8

Nice but pricey options.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast