Thread: First AR purchase

Feedback Score

First AR purchase

Hello all.
    I'm new here and just purchased my first AR.
    It is a CDD-15.
    With the DD 10" light rail
    Magpul stock, rail guards, MIAD grip and trigger guard, in olive drab
    1:7 chrome lined barrel 16"
    F stamped front sight base and flip up Troy rear sight.

My question is does anyone else have a CDD that they have had issues with that I should know about? Parts failing/breaking, or even just things that are simple to upgrade if needed?

Thank you for any and all input,
    Antonio

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aanayab1 View Post
    Hello all.
    I'm new here and just purchased my first AR.
    It is a CDD-15.
    With the DD 10" light rail
    Magpul stock, rail guards, MIAD grip and trigger guard, in olive drab
    1:7 chrome lined barrel 16"
    F stamped front sight base and flip up Troy rear sight.

My question is does anyone else have a CDD that they have had issues with that I should know about? Parts failing/breaking, or even just things that are simple to upgrade if needed?

Thank you for any and all input,
    Antonio
    Congrats on your purchase and welcome to M4C!

You've purchased a fine rifle and I'm sure you will be highly satisfied with it. There are many upgrades and aftermarket parts available for the AR15 platform, but beware...many of those are crap.

Your rifle sounds like it's set up correctly for a SHTF rifle and I would offer you this advice: spend the first $1000 on training and ammo. If you simply must buy something for your rifle, get a high quality optic first. Aimpoint or Eotech. Then shoot it as much as you can. Work on your mechanics, trigger control, sight picture and the fundamentals.

I highly recommend you purchase (or borrow) Magpul Dynamics Carbine 1. Watch it intently and take notes. Practice what you see on the range as much as possible. If you do this, you'll build a good foundation to go on. Master your weapon, then see what you want to change.

Again, welcome to M4C! You'll find a plethora of good information here, and you'll quickly find out who the sages of M4C are. Read the sticky posts...they contain a wealth of knowledge.
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the advise. I have been reading as many of the stickys as possible and learned quite a bit. Will find that video asap. I am planning to purchase the aimpoint compML3 come the end of this month but I want to try my best to get comfortable using these iron sights first before using the optic. You mentioned training, by that did you mean classes? if so are they available to the general public? excuse my ignorance of the subject but what does SHTF rifle stand for?

Thanks again

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    very nice rifle for your first AR.....the best of luck to your rifle and welcome to the forum

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aanayab1 View Post
    You mentioned training, by that did you mean classes? if so are they available to the general public?
    Yep, check around at your local ranges. Many larger ranges offer handgun and rifle classes. You can also try Grey Group, TigerSwan, and others.

excuse my ignorance of the subject but what does SHTF rifle stand for?
    S*** hits the fan. You have far to go, grasshopper!
    A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject.

Feedback Score
    LOL thanks. I live in N.E. Tennessee. There are not any big ranges I know of, although I will do some research. All the ranges around here are public outdoor and part of the national forest ran by the T.V.A. (Tenn. Valley Authority)

Feedback Score
    Just ordered the magpul dynamics video

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by citizensoldier16 View Post
    I highly recommend you purchase (or borrow) Magpul Dynamics Carbine 1. Watch it intently and take notes. Practice what you see on the range as much as possible. If you do this, you'll build a good foundation to go on. Master your weapon, then see what you want to change.
    Is it that good?
    Last edited by deparis; 08-03-10 at 22:47.

Feedback Score
    oh another question is what bullet weight would do best with a 1:7 twist?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)