Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hoppes #9 or M-Pro 7

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks for the heads up on the LPX fellas.

This is a bit off topic, but I never used CLP (break free) before I got my AR and lubed up my P220, Ruger Service Six, 10/22 and AR before I went shooting this weekend and wow.. junk just wiped right off. I shouldve started using it a long time ago.
    Personal security provided by: Sig Sauer, S&W, Ruger, and Daniel Defense

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For cleaning I use: Mpro-7 for all-purpose cleaning, and for stubborn bore deposits, Sharp Shootr Wipe-out.

Also, here's a good link on bore cleaning. It's for benchrest shooters, but the best solvents IMO that they mention (including Mpro-7 and Wipe-out) work well on all my firearms including AR's. One caution, if you start using Wipe-out bore cleaner: most folks who have tried it prefer the "Patch-out" liquid version that you put on a patch, rather than the foam-based version that you squirt into your barrel like shaving cream. The foam works just as well, but it's harder to control and sometimes ends up being wasteful or messy. The patch-out liquid version is just easier to work with.

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html
    Last edited by maximus83; 08-08-10 at 13:14. Reason: Add link on bore cleaning

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    For cleaning I use: Mpro-7 for all-purpose cleaning, and for stubborn bore deposits, Sharp Shootr Wipe-out.

Also, here's a good link on bore cleaning. It's for benchrest shooters, but the best solvents IMO that they mention (including Mpro-7 and Wipe-out) work well on all my firearms including AR's. One caution, if you start using Wipe-out bore cleaner: most folks who have tried it prefer the "Patch-out" liquid version that you put on a patch, rather than the foam-based version that you squirt into your barrel like shaving cream. The foam works just as well, but it's harder to control and sometimes ends up being wasteful or messy. The patch-out liquid version is just easier to work with.

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html
    I personally Do Not Use foam bore cleaners in my ARs due to the gas port & tube.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by deadduck357 View Post
    I personally Do Not Use foam bore cleaners in my ARs due to the gas port & tube.
    Spraying a little compressed air into the gas tube will flush out any residual cleaner from the foam treatment.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Do you guys disassemble the BCG and other parts and soak them in the MPro7 or just spray everything down and wipe later?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by uwe1 View Post
    Do you guys disassemble the BCG and other parts and soak them in the MPro7 or just spray everything down and wipe later?
    I am in the habit of cleaning my BCG after each range session. As such, I simply remove BCG and CH, remove the bolt, and give the said a light spray with the MPro-7 gun cleaner. I set everything aside to soak a bit. After a few minutes, I wipe the parts down and will apply more gun cleaner, if required. After everything has been wipe down, I apply the LPX to the bolt, reassemble the BCG, and apply LPX to the main carrier.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If I switched from Hoppes, my wife would think I was having an affair.
    Daniel

Never send a nail to do a screw's job.

Feedback Score
    I use M-Pro7 for last like 5 years or so for both rifles and handguns. Basically for parts like bolt carrier or handgun slide nothing more that spraying M-Pro 7 and wiping with paper towel some 20mins later is needed. I basically use Cleaner, Bore Cleanes Gel, Oil, CLP and Copper Remover.

Only other thing I use if Forrest bore cleaning foam from Finland - they made it originally for tank cannon barrels

BTW Here we see M-Pro7 sold also as "Hoppes Elite"
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montrala View Post

BTW Here we see M-Pro7 sold also as "Hoppes Elite"
    For all intents and purposes this is true.

Anal retentives will use Hoppes Elite gun cleaner first, and finish with M-Pro 7... (The formulations are slightly different with Hoppes Elite having slightly more of the "carbon cutting" stuff and M-Pro 7 slightly more of the "conditioning" stuff). The biggest difference is the marketing. Hoppes Elite is marketed to sport shooters, competitive shooters, etc. M-Pro 7 is marketed to hunters, outdoors shooters, police, military.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Another vote for MPro7. Been using it for nearly 15 years.

I use Wipe Out in my bores. A little bit of foam will get in the gas tube but has not caused any issues to my knowledge.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast