Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black toe nails

Feedback Score

Black toe nails

So should they be pulled or left alone? I've been walking/jogging 10 or more miles a day the last few weeks to try getting back into shape. And have had a lot of blisters under my toenails. Not really anything I can do to prevent it since my run back is mostly down hill and my feet press against the walls of shoe.

So do I leave them alone and continue on, drain them or pull the nail?

Edit to add:
    I've been simply draining the fluid and leaving it be, but I ask because perhaps I'm doing the wrong thing.
    Last edited by mr_smiles; 08-04-10 at 05:17.

I understand too is an adverb and to is a preposition, I still prefer using to in place of too.

The way I see it I'll save maybe 5-10 minutes over my lifetime not typing that extra o at the end of to. Even typing up this explanation saves me more time than typing that extra o

Cheers,
    Mr. Smiles

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Your shoes are too small. Get thee to a running store, not The Footlocker or Sears.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Most of my toe nails turned black and fell off after I finished the 4 Day Marches in Nijmegan, Holland. After they turned black, I left them alone and they simply fell off in the shower a few at a time. My incident was due to jungle boots and 100 miles in 4 days instead of just running.

The staff of a running store looking at your feet and how you run would probably do you a world of good.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Running stores are definitely better than regular shoe stores; but they aren't perfect. My feet are aching now after just a couple recent runs and these are the second pair of shoes I have tried from a fancy, treadmill and film running store. I don't think it helps having flat feet and wearing shitty boots day in and day out though. I'm ready to see a pediatrist before my knees start hurting again.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatoCATM View Post
    Running stores are definitely better than regular shoe stores; but they aren't perfect. My feet are aching now after just a couple recent runs and these are the second pair of shoes I have tried from a fancy, treadmill and film running store. I don't think it helps having flat feet and wearing shitty boots day in and day out though. I'm ready to see a pediatrist before my knees start hurting again.
    Sounds like you need some inserts

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    A couple thoughts. First, "walking/jogging 10 or more miles a day ...to try getting back in shape." If you are getting "back in shape" then you are doing too much too fast.

As for the toenails. Better socks, better shoes. Leave the nail alone. You can drain them if the presure causes too much pain, but then make sure you are keping them clean. Best to leave them be. Better shoes, better socks, change direction (not downhill all the time), see a podiatrist if you don't get better.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    1. Your shoes are too small.

2. Do not pull off your toe nails unless you really enjoy excruciating pain.

3. Just trim the toenail as it grows and the black will grow out.

At any time during the year at least one of my toenails is black from getting stomped on by someone else during training. It's part of life.

ADD: Don't run downhill. It will ruin your knees and back. Run as hard as you want uphill and walk downhill.
    Last edited by 500grains; 08-13-10 at 09:58.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Yank your insoles until you can get new shoes.

Feedback Score

run store employees-just cause their near it,doesn't mean they live it

Smiles,

Along with what has already been mentioned- wearing big, cushioned elevated heel running shoes will make this problem worse. Also- how you tie laces, how tight you lace and how tight you tie will make considerable differences in downhills. I will actually stop (even in a race) at adjust my laces if need be.

Downhills should not be feared, it's a great way to make up time! check this out as well, from my blog about a year ago-
    http://www.kyledefoor.com/2009/10/ru...to-basics.html

There will also be some long distance running stuff (workouts, gear, etc) upcoming on my blog in response to all the interest from mil guys and here as well.

If your ever in a class, I'll help you out if it works out for both of us. I've done it for some other dudes on M4C and mil before.

the best predators are the best runners,
    KD

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    From firsthand experience, if the toenail is dead the pain you feel won't be losing the nail but exposing the nail bed. It will feel weird but as long as you wear shoes it shouldn't be debilitating. I would consider bigger shoes or different insert.

One thing I would do is get some topical antifungal to rub on your nail bed until your nails grow back. Onychomycosis is a bitch to get rid of and you want to prevent that shit from taking hold. Once it sets in the cure is literally worse than the disease
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast