Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to bring to Afghanistan Next month?

Feedback Score

What to bring to Afghanistan Next month?

I'll be issued an M4 and M9

Here is what I plan on bringing.

KAC RAS
    Aimpoint M4/mag
    VTAC Sling
    Hogue Pistol grip
    Battle Comp break
    P mags

Computer (have a pelican case for it)
    Sheets
    multi tool
    dump pouch

I forgot that I have a lot of other things you stated below including;

Garmin Fortrax 301
    Safariland drop leg for the M9 (prefer serpa and have one for my glock but found a safariland for the M9 cheep)
    Bolle T800 goggles
    Oakley Balistic rated sun glasses
    Oakley boots
    Surefire helmet light with white and IR
    Under Armor baclava (sp?) which is very light weight instead of a shegm...somthing
    Eagle riggers belt
    LULA
    small spare light and G2
    Eagle CIRAS w/ soft armor and pouches for M4 mags and M9 (I took my plates out to use SAPI that will be issued eventough my plates are better)

Anything else?
    What about a Beta C Mag?

I prefer an Aimpoint and Aimpoint mag over Acogs. I have the AP mag on a larue flip mount. On my AR with this set up I'm good out to 500 meters and can hit a man sized target w/o much trouble. Already tested at manatee gun range.

I also have a 1000 yrd laser range finder but didnt think I would bring it.

I'm an officer in the Army and am assigned to an FST

For some reason I cant post anymore so I'll keep editing this post

Any recommendations on socks and underware (briefs)
    Dont like my junk to be bouncing around so no commando - too much cargo

Doubt I'll get an art 15. I might get told to remove the items but doubt getting Art 15.

Already ordered these socks
    http://www.thorlo.com/socks/army-soc...r-calf/181.php

Answer to question below - my rank is O3 and should be O4 this Jan. (O5 about 4 or 5 yrs after that).
    Last edited by CPTK; 08-07-10 at 14:50.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    This is quoted from Iraq Ninja, an industry professional on the board, in regards to the Hogue grip.

Because they often break, leaving you with a a California legal carbine.

They simply are not strong enough to take abuse, if that is important to you.

May want to rethink that choice or bring two.

Thanks for going over there.
    Last edited by parishioner; 08-04-10 at 15:34.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What are you keeping that M9 in?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Ditch the Hogue AND the Brake. Get an MOE (or keep it A2), and keep the birdcage hider.

From a [redacted] list I just sent to guys in a unit I'll be atteched to when I go back...

Multitool - you're set
    Knife - a good 3-4" folder probably works best. Don't bring a really nice one.

Admin/Flashlight Pouch - similar to this: http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-bw-pc-dbefbd.html
    Keep a multitool in it, or at least the Surefire G2 light you'll get.
    One tan Rite-In-The-Rain notebook with protector. We got these from S-TAP
    7530-01-536-2651

Canteen Cup Lid - good for cooking
    Shemagh - invaluable, but some bases ban wearing them (gay)
    Microfiber Towel (smaller, works)

If you're going to use your belt for load carriage, get a better one. Eagle, Specter, OriginalSpecialOperationsEquipment, and DiamondBackTactical make the best ones.
    A chest rig can work awesome - just make sure you can use it with a pack. DownRangeGear.com is a great resource.

Lights
    Headlamp: PrincetonTec has the best ones, they're $30. If they issue you one, use it.
    HelmetLights - SureFire : NSN 6220-01-549-4203
    Small Light: an Inova LED ($6) or a Streamlight AAA light ($9) that goes everywhere on you.
    Batteries
    Rechargeable NiMH AA/AAA in AA/AAA Charger (8x ea)
    You'll need the AAA's for headlamps, voice recorders, and other EDL stuff. We couldn't get them.

Grab some extra muzzle covers: canal dipping f**king sucks. Duct tape is a distant 2nd.

Group Items
    One Boresnake, One MagLULA-M16 -
    Sewing kit is a must. Bases will already have hair clippers.
    Small binoculars if they're not already an EDL item.
    A small set of allen wrenches (the metric/SAE/Torx trio from home depot works).
    A fabric pen, and some superglue

Consider a GARMIN Foretrex (Wrist GPS) - they can be golden - 401 if buying yourself. Otherise, the NSN 201: 5825-01-531-6183

Technology
    Pelican 1080 Case for your computer
    External Hard Drive - USB Powered
    iPod
    AA Powered Speakers for audio jack
    Pelican Case for this highly recommended

Consider:
    PSP (Unlocked if possible - can load with NES/SNES/GENESIS Games)
    USB Playstation controller can be awesome w/ old school emulators
    Kindle/Reader if you're picky about books

Swap out the QuikClot powder in IFAKs for the Combat Gauze. Move the powder to truck bags, you want the gauze on you.

Add a ziploc with a few ZipTies, Electrical and Duck tape, speaker wire and spare connectors to an IFAK or general pouch.

Learn the correct way to attach the dump pouches (the two straps come out the top - find them, pull them out and it won't flop over worthlessly)

Socks/Shirts/Skivvies
    Two philosophies here: get a few quality sets up front and use them; or use expendables.
    Socks: Smartwool, SilverToe, and Thorlo socks are fantastic. Wearing cheapass white socks and using them once or twice works too.
    Shirt/Shorts. pX access can/will suck: if you can, stage a prepacked care package with extra socks and shirts to save space (but only if your unit has a good reputation with mail handling. Mine let crap linger for almost a year)

If you can swing them:
    Garmin Foretrex 401/301/201 Wrist GPS
    Surefire X600 Weaponlights NSN 6230-01-525-4109
    Or Surefire M300 Mini Scout
    Insight or Surefire remote switches for PEQ-15's (and/or Scout Lights)
    You should be getting Mk318 ammo (1305-01-573-2229) - if there's any chance of ordering this for supported units that don't have it, do it.

Magazines: PMAGs.
    PMAG 30 Black Window: 1005-01-576-5164 OR PMAG 30 Black Non-Window: 1005-01-576-5159
    At least 6 per Marine, period.

For M9's, the Safariland ALS/MLS holsters are worth the extra cost. MLS better.

Don't be afraid to order huge numbers of batteries.
    Don't travel with GripPods in luggage on civilian flights. TSA idiots can't fathom the idea that you need them in a war zone because they're idiots.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Awesome list there mate.

I have not been over but I know a few who have and one thing that more than a few guys have said that they are glad they took with them is a foldy uppy individual solar charging panel. To recharge PSP's and music boxes etc etc.

A good mate has been a couple of times and he takes a pillow, about 14" x 14" covered in OG cloth with a uniform name tag and rank tab on. You can laugh - I did, it started as a joke but he is always the guy on the transport or in the temporary accomodation that gets a good nights sleep.

I had to re-supply another mate with a Surefire 4 days after he got there ....... his grew legs and walked. Mark everything.

Take care.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Get you own mags for the M9 the issue ones are junk!

PMAGS would not hurt.

Range finder

Ditch aimpoing get ACOG

Your sence of humor
    Last edited by ICANHITHIMMAN; 08-04-10 at 18:15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are you a soldier? What sort of unit are you in and what sort of work will you be doing.

If you a soldier in a regular unit you may not have much choice in what you get to use. When you leave country you will have to go thru customs before you leave Bagram. You may not be able to leave country with optics and weapons components. Just food for thought.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Essentials

You forgot "Tactical Bacon", bacon flavored salt, and astro glide for those darling veiled women of the night.

All kidding aside, hardware and gear are vital, quality is the key. But most important is a clear head and sound mind. Keep your wits and head on a swivel grunt.
    Never judge a man by his success, judge by how he deals with his failures!- L.E.C.

Some People suck at being Human!- Me

"To keep you is no gain, to destroy you is no loss."- Khmer Rouge

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPTK
    Safariland drop leg for the M9 (prefer serpa and have one for my glock but found a safariland for the M9 cheep)
    Be glad you got the Safariland. SERPAs are breakage prone garbage (do a search for SERPA on this site and you'll get specific reasons and anecdotes as to why)..

Kyle Defoor's Take: http://www.kyledefoor.com/2009/12/gear.html

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Defoor
    For a tactical setup Safariland 6004 is still king. Best combat holster ever made.
    and his advice regarding mods/maintenance: http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/03/sa...d-secrets.html
    Last edited by ChicagoTex; 08-05-10 at 05:50.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Well it has been 20 years for me but I will second issue M9 mags sucked then too buy 3 of your own. A good multi tool. I still have mine I used a Mini Mag flash light but there are much better small LED lights out there. If you can try to get gear that takes the same type of batteries it makes life easier. There are high quality headlamps and mini flash lights that take AA.

I agree on the old school canteen cup, we were issued them along with 4 canteens I would bring a canteen to stick in the cup. The microfiber cloth will be invaluable to clean yourself with. I would bring a few old school paperbacks. You can read them and trade them and ya don't need batteries. That is just me.

I would not bring the cmag, battle comp or Houge grip. PMags rock. A perm marker to mark your gear, mags clothes.... good underwear an socks will make you feel like a million bucks if they keep you comfortable. It sucks when you're feet or your junk are uncomfortable because of poor quality gear. I know people like under armor, I don't remember it burns/melts like crazy. A lighter is always helpful to have.

A good attitude will get you far. Stay Safe.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 08-11-10 at 17:09.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast