Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terminal balistics for a 10.5" barrel

Feedback Score

Terminal balistics for a 10.5" barrel

I've been reading the fragmentation articles elsewhere on the site. That article compared fragmentation of various loads out of 20", 16" andd 14.5 " barrels.

Check it out here: http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=173

What about a 10.5" barrel. Is it too short to reliably get frangmentation with commons loads?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chp5 View Post
    There is your problems right there...

Do a search on this board there is a good thread on just what you are asking about.

edit
    I dug it up.
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7154

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt6920 View Post
    There is your problems right there...

Do a search on this board there is a good thread on just what you are asking about.

edit
    I dug it up.
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7154
    Thanks Colt6920. That thread really doesn't address my question. It was more about killing people at certain distances.

I'm looking for technical data.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If the other thread doesn't answer your question, and the link you posted to the fragmentation chart on TOS doesn't help you, I think you're going to need to restate your question. While neither gives you an exact "fragmentation will happen out to exactly 51.7 yards with M193 ammo", there is enough information at those other links to figure out (A) approximate fragmentation range for each type of ammo and (B) that there isn't much value in knowing an exact fragmentation range.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    If the other thread doesn't answer your question, and the link you posted to the fragmentation chart on TOS doesn't help you, I think you're going to need to restate your question. While neither gives you an exact "fragmentation will happen out to exactly 51.7 yards with M193 ammo", there is enough information at those other links to figure out (A) approximate fragmentation range for each type of ammo and (B) that there isn't much value in knowing an exact fragmentation range.
    I'm simply wondering if that data is available. If it doesn't exist, then so be it.

I'm unsure why you're giving me flack for asking a question

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So then what you're looking for is the exact distance at which ammo from a 10.5" barrel will reliably fragment? Do you understand that this is an incomplete question? You should have been able to tell from the link you posted that fragmentation range is dependent on bullet type as well as barrel length.

Perhaps your question should have been "do charts exactly like those in this link exist for 105" barrels?"

If I'm giving you "flack", which I don't think I am, it's because you don't sound like you understand the issue of fragmentation well enough to understand the answer even if someone gave it to you, and even if you did I'm not sure what you think that information would be good for.

This may help as well, if you haven't already read it
    http://www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm#sbr

As a very, very, very basic rule of thumb, subtract 150-175 fps from the 14.5" velocity to get the 10.5" velocity.

Feedback Score
    Double post

Feedback Score
    So then what you're looking for is the exact distance at which ammo from a 10.5" barrel will reliably fragment? Do you understand that this is an incomplete question? You should have been able to tell from the link you posted that fragmentation range is dependent on bullet type as well as barrel length.

Perhaps your question should have been "do charts exactly like those in this link exist for 105" barrels?"

If I'm giving you "flack", which I don't think I am, it's because you don't sound like you understand the issue of fragmentation well enough to understand the answer even if someone gave it to you, and even if you did I'm not sure what you think that information would be good for.
    Rob - yes, I am looking for information similar to the data in the linked chart about fragmention of common rounds out of a 10.5" barrel.

Sorry if I didn't ask the question in more precise manner. I am planning on buying a SBR and am interested in this data.

However, the tone of your post is very condescending (e.g. "you don't sound like you understand the issue of fragmentation well enough to understand the answer even if someone gave it to you"). It's a simple and valid question. If you have the information, then please share it. If you don't, then surely have have something better to do then be rude to me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I gave you a rough way to calculate it, but what you keep ignoring is that the sources you've found tend to agree; using a 10.5" barrel rifle and expecting fragmentation is (depending on ammo) a fruitless endeavor. It's like pissing on the sun and expecting it to go out. With your typical M193 (since you still haven't said what ammo you're interested in) you're not likely to be at fragmentation velocity out of a 10.5" barrel even at the muzzle.

If I was "rude", it is because your question seems to be the equivalent of "how long do I have to piss on the sun in order to put it out?", and everywhere you've looked so far you've found the same answer.

In other words, you're doing it wrong. You don't pick a tool and then ask "what is this good for?", you figure out what you want to do and select the appropriate tool. To continue with the sun analogy, the question would be "what do I need to do in order to put out the sun?"

For example, I wanted a gun that, with a suppressor attached, was shorter than my 16" barrel carbine and only needed an effective fragmentation range with my selected defensive ammo (Black Hills 75 grain) of under 50 yards. So I had a JOB that now I could go out and find the proper TOOL for.

Feedback Score
    If I was "rude", it is because your question seems to be the equivalent of "how long do I have to piss on the sun in order to put it out?", and everywhere you've looked so far you've found the same answer.
    What?? That makes no sense.

All I am saying is that I'm considering buying a SBR. I'm looking for data similar to the linked chart in order to get as much data as I can before I decide to buy or not.

You have no entitlement to be rude.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast