Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Reloading AR on closed bolt, downloaded mags

Feedback Score
    Another status update to this thread.

I have still only gotten the gun out to shoot twice, and the round count is at about 400.

However, the PMAGs now seat like butter, even when loaded to 30.

In fact, so does the NHMTG (aluminum body, green follower) which came with the gun -- also when loaded to 30.

What still does NOT seat without Herculean effort, is the CProducts 20-rd mags (gray aluminum/MagPul2 follower), even when downloaded to 18.

I'm going to extrapolate this to assume the 30s when downloaded to 28 will have the same problem, but frankly I'm too tired of screwing around with this problem to be bothered testing until I am actually going to hit the range.

So, seemingly this was partly a break-in problem, on top of a CRAP MAG problem.

No more CProducts mags for me, at least not for this gun. I'll see if I can get them replaced, but it's been a while now so that is doubtful.

Barbara, how are things working out with your AR?

P.S. Thanks, everyone, for the input and the brain cycles.

Feedback Score
    New bolt and a few hundred rounds since I last posted.

Still the same problem..any magazine loaded over 15-20 rounds in a 30 round mag requires a shove to get seated.

I haven't made any measurements. Keep forgetting to grap the calipers to bring home.

ETA: Have tried this with C-Products and Colt mags and an old Parsons mag.
    Deeds, not words.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    GM, something doesn't seem right. Do your mags drop freely (when empty)?

Another possible issue is the position of your mag catch. It could be too high which then forces you to try and push the feedlips of the mag into your bolt carrier.

C4
    I tend to agree with Grant on this.

You can adjust the engagement/ tension of the mag catch by taking something that you can use to push the mag release button past the flat part of the receiver so the mag catch on the other side clears the receiver, and spinning the mag catch (on the left side one full turn at a time "Counter Clock Wise" (I think), and test to see if the situation improves .

It's been so long since I made this adjustment that I don't remeber for sure if it was "Counter Clockwise" or "Clockwise". Sorry, but you can always adjust back and forth if needed. Worst case...keep count of how many turns you make in case you need to return it to the adjustment it is currently on.

Tack

Feedback Score
    I think what Grant meant was something like what I'd said earlier in the thread:

"3. mag catch cutout is in the wrong place in the lower receiver"

In other words, the catch is too high relative to the lower receiver, therefore the magazine requires further upward travel before the cutout in the mag mates with the catch.

At this point I'm pretty satisfied with calling this a mag problem... I did end up trying the CProducts 30-rd mags and they actually will lock 90% of the time now as well, but it is noticeably stiffer, and as implied by that "90%", there are still some instances where it just won't lock.

As for the 20-rd CProducts mags, it's a lost cause trying to get them to seat EVER when loaded to anything more than about 12 rds, unless you really squash them in there with all your might.

The good news is I contacted the seller and they have offered to exchange them for me, I think I will ask them to be replaced with a batch of D&H.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunmetal View Post
    I think what Grant meant was something like what I'd said earlier in the thread:

"3. mag catch cutout is in the wrong place in the lower receiver"

In other words, the catch is too high relative to the lower receiver, therefore the magazine requires further upward travel before the cutout in the mag mates with the catch.

At this point I'm pretty satisfied with calling this a mag problem... I did end up trying the CProducts 30-rd mags and they actually will lock 90% of the time now as well, but it is noticeably stiffer, and as implied by that "90%", there are still some instances where it just won't lock.

As for the 20-rd CProducts mags, it's a lost cause trying to get them to seat EVER when loaded to anything more than about 12 rds, unless you really squash them in there with all your might.

The good news is I contacted the seller and they have offered to exchange them for me, I think I will ask them to be replaced with a batch of D&H.
    It very well could be...that's why my first choice is the D&H mag. IF the lower is what we have all come to call as "MIL. Spec" (please don't go into this debate with me... as I know what is and isn't Mil. Spec., and how often we use this term inappropriately) then the Mag should fit.

However...I Have seen instances where the Mag Catch does need to be adjusted, and that's why it is "Adjustable".

Tack

Tack

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    It very well could be...that's why my first choice is the D&H mag. IF the lower is what we have all come to call as "MIL. Spec" (please don't go into this debate with me... as I know what is and isn't Mil. Spec., and how often we use this term inappropriately) then the Mag should fit.

However...I Have seen instances where the Mag Catch does need to be adjusted, and that's why it is "Adjustable".

Tack
    Agreed. I had some issues with some C-Products SS 30 rounders, they wouldn't seat on a closed bolt, but then I tightened the mag catch a couple of turns and now they seat OK (and still drop free).

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure if I am seeing some testosterone loading of the atmosphere going on, but just in case the air needs to be cleared.. there's no need nor call for a debate on "mil spec" here so I'm pretty sure we can all just take a deep breath.

I did already try "adjusting" the "adjustable" mag release to no avail. Didn't change things.

Feedback Score
    Well, testosterone loading is one problem I'll never be blamed for.

Mine appears to be gun and not mag related but I'll try making an adjustment this week and see.
    Deeds, not words.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345