Thread: P-Mags can Damage A Tavor! *video*

Feedback Score

P-Mags can Damage A Tavor! *video*

P-mags can and do interact with the bolt-hold-open in a TAR-21! There's been some back and forth over whether or not this is possible. It is. You can see footage here. I realize the movement you see in this video is small, but its seems to explain previous problems.

What I believe happened to my rifle is this:
    Shooting with standard p-mags caused my bolt hold open device to partially raise during operation, which in turn caused pre-mature wear on my bolt and bolt hold open.
    This wear on the bolt may have been the source of some of the failure to feed jams, and bolt hold open failures I experienced at the start of the spring.
    Since modifying my magazines and replacing my bolt, I have not had any further issues with the rifle.
    The p-mag, e-mag, 20 rd p-mag all have the same rounded rear face. The new M3 magazine from magpul is specifically designed to address this issue in non AR-15 platforms like the SCAR and TAR-21.

Hopefully this video will help others from running into the same problems.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    this is exactly like the problem with SCAR and pmags

Feedback Score
    correct sir! It was the SCAR videos that first got me looking.

I'm curious if the micro tavors will have the same problem. Obviously the 9mm ones wont! But I could see the .223 M-CTAR using the same bolt hold open. Which is too bad, because thats a unit that could really benefit from a 20rd pmag setup to keep it small.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Bump, any news if this is an issue with the US made Tavors, or have they made some changes to allow it to work better with PMags?

thanks,

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    I am interested as well...

-Bryan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    Bump, any news if this is an issue with the US made Tavors, or have they made some changes to allow it to work better with PMags?

thanks,
    My understanding is that this can be fixed by using a drimmel to remove some plastic from the rear of the mag feed lips. I believe that TV Presspass describes this on his web page.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If it is an issue with the US made rifles, 10 seconds and a dremel fixes it on legacy PMAGs, and of course, the GEN M3 line is GTG. Our Tavor is Israeli, so I can't help on configuration of the US ones.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    It is extremely easy to fix.

The full rundown is here: http://tar21.com/tavor-tar-21-and-ma...d-open-device/

The consensus with all the American Tavor owners I have spoken to is that there have been zero issues with the SAR-21 related to P-mags and bolt hold open devices.

Although Gen 2 pmags do not drop free, the Gen 3 units have been fantastic both in my Israeli Tavor and from what I've heard from American Tavor owners.
    Last edited by TV-PressPass; 05-13-13 at 10:57.
    I do videos with my Tavor: www.youtube.com/user/WildGunmenOsborne