Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The FN FS2000: A Complete Review *several updates*

Feedback Score
    I just installed the handle on my two FS2000's this weekend. The handles are well made and functional. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by lloydkristmas View Post
    UPDATE

My FS2000 is now equipped with a metal charging handle. Custom machined by member "Judochop" of AR15.com, I believe he made a run of 80 units, can be reached by PM at that site.

Its solid, installs in 30 seconds with the FN punch tool. Its slightly longer than the original unit, gives better finger grip space.

While the "HK slap" is still not a necessary step in the reload of this weapon, I think the metal charging handle fixes what is likely the biggest drawback to this weapon. For whatever reason, FN refuses to update the design, so us end-users have to do it instead.

Im very pleased with the upgrade, and I have more confidence in the durability of the weapon now.

Cost: $50

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    She gets to clean it as well!
    Then she's going to smell like Hoppe's!

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    Slip 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    Then she's going to smell like Hoppe's!
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OK, that's good. Girls shouldn't smell like Hoppes. That's a man thang. They shouldn't smell like food either. I keep trying to tell my wife that. She has lotion that smells like strawberries, lotion that smells like vanilla. I don't get it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Ooooook back on topic

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=24&t=326005

Link has some pics of the metal piece
    Last edited by lloydkristmas; 11-08-10 at 19:07.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like its a good gun that couldn't hurt to have a few improvements.

The AR platform has gone through several decades of improvement to get where it is now.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidevolk View Post
    Sounds like its a good gun that couldn't hurt to have a few improvements.

The AR platform has gone through several decades of improvement to get where it is now.
    Pretty much sums it up.

The charging handle needs to be beefed up.

The iron sights need to be raised slightly (The Slovenian armed forces got their wish for higher sights on their military F2000, FN should make this improvement to all models)

The ejection port door should be made of metal, not plastic, as they tend to melt. This part is practically useless, so it doesnt matter much.

Other people nitpick certain aspects of the rifle, but the above are the only real design 'flaws'

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    NEW EDIT: HK Sights and Metal Charging Handle

I was able to pick up a set of authentic HK 416 sights with a universal HK rear sight drum, I paid 125 out the door, they normally cost about 350.

I have seen pics of guys running Magpul, Troy, etc backup sights that sit even higher than these sights, so I figure if those work alright, why shouldnt these?

I have the factory FN iron sights perfectly zeroed, so Im not going to mess with those until Im sure the HK sights will work to my satisfaction. The extreme change in sight radius on top of the FS2000 might throw things off, but I dont know yet.

I left the standard FN front sight on the gun for height comparison. Here are some pictures of what HK416 sights look like on the FS2000.

I will update once I am able to get to the range and put them to the test. If they work well I will remove the FN front sight and move the 416 sight up to the front of the rail, and re-install the Aimpoint using a higher mount.

ETA: these pics also give a look at the metal charging handle for those of you who havent seen it. Works just like the original, except its not a breakable piece of crap

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP, nice write up and thread. I hope this inspires others to chronical their experience with other "non-AR15" type rifles. While it's hard to beat the good old AR, there are lots of interesting rifles out there these days.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydkristmas View Post

Interesting... I like it. Please let us know how they work out for you.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast