Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Closer look at the SIG 516...Still not impressed

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    No optic. Just a base rifle. Gabe Suarez is saying the Sig makes his DD pale in comparison.
    Gabe Suarez you said?

Thanks. I'll stick to my BCMs.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    3 shot groups?
    5 shot groups slow fire benched.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Sig in Exeter, NH has a lot of problems with their guns. Sig in Exeter is not Sig in Germany, and does not produce the same level of product.

As for Mr. Suarez' comment, I must conclude that he was joking at the time he said it.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M96 View Post
    5 shot groups slow fire benched.
    Honestly, I'll be impressed if you fire it at 100 yards and your groups are close to being double that of 50 yards. Things change between 50 and 100.

Feedback Score
    Closing in on 50 yrs with Colt AR15 platform weapons, getting to old to be chasing rainbows. I hope the Sigs work out well for the folks running them

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M96 View Post
    Well, I have and use a 16" 516 on a regular basis. Its a fine weapon with over 1400 rounds downrange and no tilt/wear issues and not one failure of any kind. Printed .15"CTC at 50 yds with XM193 and an EoTech XPS2 benched on my last zero check, averages .55" CTC according to my notes.

Is it a revolutionary weapon that nothing comes close too, no. Is it a very accurate and well made/functioning piston AR, yes.

Take from that what you will.

M96
    How is the recoil compared with a DI rifle?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I was recently in a class with a guy who had a 556, and he had a trouble free 800 rounds through it - yeah, not a real high round count. I got to put about 5 rounds through it and it did seem pretty quality to me; for a piston AK/AR hybrid the recoil didn't seem any more than my 14.5 middy and everything was fit together nice. It was noticeably heavier though, but not unbearable. There were a few things I noticed: the mag release is not shrouded at all and so there were a few times that during any type of transition drill the user dumped a mag accidentally; the safety was a bit stiff and not as user friendly (within reach), I am not sure if that will smooth itself out; the area around the ejection port has no type of deflector and so it got really beat up by the expended cases.

I know that is for the 556, but I also fondled a 516 in a local store the other day and it had some desirable features that seemed to indicate quality; and they even staked the castle nut.

I can't however find information as to whether Sig batch tests, etc ...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I hope their rifles are a little better made than the pistols.
    Insert impressive resume here.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    How is the recoil compared with a DI rifle?
    No real difference between a DI gun of the same weight, perhaps a bit snappier than a push, but nothing significant.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Honestly, I'll be impressed if you fire it at 100 yards and your groups are close to being double that of 50 yards. Things change between 50 and 100.
    Have not tried that with the 516, I believe it to be capable of that level of accuracy with a good optic mounted. I suspect I am not with an EoTech XPS2 and no magnifier. My Ruger SR556E will print avg .78" CTC with a 3X burris optic and BlackHills 68 gr BTHP Match load when i do my part. I believe the SIG to be more accurate given my range notes, but havent done an apples to apples comp with same loads and optics. It should be noted these stats are with the loads each rifle shoots best with after trying a min of 5 loads. My PWS MK 114 will shoot nearly as well as these too.....

AR rifles can give remarkable acuracy, tho I still want my bolt guns for relly long stuff.

M96

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast