Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Closer look at the SIG 516...Still not impressed

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    No its a MOE

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have yet to hear why anyone should get a SIG 516 over an MRP.
    Because it's a SIG?

I concluded the powers at SIG are utterly tone-deaf when they installed rails on all their pistols. I don't see this "me too" rifle contradicting that conclusion. Another AR. Wowee.

It's almost like Chrysler deciding to make Fords.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 09-01-10 at 15:03.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    As evinced by the Robinson XCR which I regard as an almost perfect rifle. It seems to get no attention at all.

I'm confused about how the direct impingement came to be. Piping hot dirty gas into a precision action is just not the greatest idea Eugene Stoner ever had. It works well enough in most instances and it has some advantages, simplicity, low parts count and perfectly co-axial action which may aid accuracy and control. Funny thing is that when Stoner designed the AR the gas piston above the barrel was well demonstrated as the most effective method of automating a rifle. They say it is hard to argue with success and the AR is certainly successful but the gas piston above the barrel was successful when Stoner did his design. To each his own. I find it peculiar anyone would bemoan the fabulous, free-wheeling innovation we now see in the firearms world generally and in ARs specifiably. Not that a gas piston on an AR is particularly innovative any more. As evinced by the fact that Ruger did it.
    Im not sure exactly what the problem is with piping hot dirty gas into the action? Go look at 87GN's findings, chamber temperatures remain largely the same between piston and DI style AR15's...

Guns get dirty, period, end of story, even Gas piston designs, its an inevitability when we are dealing with explosives.

EDIT: Gotta stay on topic here. Anyone have any info about the recall on this particular rifle?
    Last edited by Magsz; 09-01-10 at 17:50.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The exact problem piping hot dirty gas into the action is the action gets hot and dirty. Of course all guns get dirty but DI guns get dirty faster and piston gun actions don't get nearly so hot. I was rebutting an assertion that the mere existence of piston guns is nonsensical. I find the existence of piston guns less amazing than the existence of DI guns. Pray thee tell, what is 87GN? I know I'm opening myself to attack by asking this question but I have already demonstrated my heresy by questioning DI so what the heck. My experience in the matter is limited to about 5K rounds through an LMT, about half through a piston upper and the other half through a DI upper. That's enough to persuade me that DI is not without it's faults.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 09-01-10 at 18:25.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Tim,

We are having a discussion, we arent attacking each other.

87GN is a member here, do a member search and check out some of his posts. Very informative stuff.

Ultimately there is no perfect system so you've got to pick and choose what shortcomings you want to live with.

For me, the increased recoil impulse, increased amount of parts and the overall unreliability of the Piston systems that ive handled have led me to stick with DI uppers.

To each their own.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know I'm opening myself to attack....
    ....we arent attacking each other.
    I wasn't referring to you personally Magsz but some folks do take this personally and they get hot when questioned or challenged. I thought maybe 87GN was some huge scientific study the AR homeboys carry around like a preacher carries a Bible.

Feedback Score
    I think it looks like shit. Sigs just do absolutely nothing for me. Its just another piston gun. Ill stick with my LWRC. I think there the cleanest and offer the best parts out of any AR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Pini View Post
    I think it looks like shit. Sigs just do absolutely nothing for me. Its just another piston gun. Ill stick with my LWRC. I think there the cleanest and offer the best parts out of any AR
    LOL... So well spoken.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Pini View Post
    You're on the right track, maybe not the absolute best.

I'd ****in' love to run a KAC E3 with an LWRCi 14.5'' midlength barrel though.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    Street price on these are in the $1400 range

Too expensive for what you get. That's a well spec'ed DI AR15, or an LMT MRP.

No thanks. SIG really should stop messing around with these half assed endeavors and just release a SG551
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast