Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Final Report = "Fire To Destruction Test of U.S. M4A1 Carbine & M16A2 Rife Barrel(s)"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rav3nwulfe View Post
    wonder if it might blow a little earlier in the sun and heat of Afghanistan or Iraq, rather than the dark, cool, air conditioned, ventilated firing range?
    When you are dealing with temps over 1700 degrees Fahrenheit, 50 degrees ambient temp difference won't matter much at all.
    "Oh, its a wonderful day! My sun is shining, my birds are chirping, my humongous chicken defeated Elmo." Huxley

Feedback Score
    I had a buddy cook a M249 SAW (not to the point of catastrophic failure, but to the point that the barrel started glowing and warped). He was going through 200 rd boxes with one trigger pull, loading another belt and going again. This continued till the barrel started glowing, at which point he started packing snow on it. I don't recall how many rounds he expended that evening, but he did cook the park off the barrel and warp it severely. If he hadn't stopped, it no doubt would have caused catastrophic failure within the next 100 rounds or so.
    Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my AR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoleboy View Post
    I had a buddy cook a M249 SAW (not to the point of catastrophic failure, but to the point that the barrel started glowing and warped). He was going through 200 rd boxes with one trigger pull, loading another belt and going again. This continued till the barrel started glowing, at which point he started packing snow on it. I don't recall how many rounds he expended that evening, but he did cook the park off the barrel and warp it severely. If he hadn't stopped, it no doubt would have caused catastrophic failure within the next 100 rounds or so.
    After this range session did he walk away with a huge grin that lasted 3-4 days?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Some of you might have already seen this, but here's a 300 round FA ammo dump out of a 10.5in Noveske:

Youtube Video

He starts shooting at the 0:21sec mark, and finishes at 1:05. So that's 44sec for 300 rounds including time for the mag changes.

Just some more fodder for the discussion...

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I am absolutly shocked 5oz make's that much diffrence. I Have had the M4 smoking before but never pushed it that hard. Gives me alot of confidence in the M4 wishing now my unit had the A1 model but we cant have it all. Guess I will just have to be a real good shot.

Feedback Score

Unhappy

The pdf is no longer available at that site. Anybody got a copy of the pdf I could check out?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Wrong thread
    Last edited by pinzgauer; 07-19-16 at 19:24.

Feedback Score

REPLY >>> Seeking Orig. pdf. Link, "Fire To Destruction"

Hello Buddy, IIRC, I was the O/P of this thread. ( I think I was ?? ) Let me check my files to see if I can dig up the original PDF source. Please give me a day or 2 to check through everything, I'll get back to you.

Best, dpast32

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpast32 View Post
    Hello Buddy, IIRC, I was the O/P of this thread. ( I think I was ?? ) Let me check my files to see if I can dig up the original PDF source. Please give me a day or 2 to check through everything, I'll get back to you.

Best, dpast32
    Not to steal your thunder, but googling AMSTA-AR-ES-92-2 will yield a downloadable link as a (the first) result.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123