Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GREEN dot sights?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

GREEN dot sights?

Just something that popped into my head today,a few weeks ago I was shooting at a neighbors and noted how easy hitting stuff with the RDS is,so much that I now want to try getting a real good one and try day shooting with it (unheard for me)

But one question popped up in my crazy mind that I cannot find a decent answer for....

Why is it all the high end ones are red? we all know green is a hell of a lot easier to pick up in the day and yet only the UTG and Lepers dots come in green,hell a few have blue too.

One reason I always use them at night or in low light since the red can be a nightmare to pick up in some really bright places,at night it don't matter,would a green dot be easier to pick out?

The only other trick I've seen that works is to use them like the old occluded eye sights in the day and use a lens cap on the front,or a piece of tape.

So what say you? anybody else want a green dot Aimpoint?

*ETA*

Hell for the cost I can just go buy a cheap dot sight with green and try it out,maybe a little test is in order?
    Last edited by Krull; 10-01-13 at 12:52.
    "That which is dead can eternal lie,and with strange aeons even death may die"~Lovecraft

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I always wondered the same thing. I love using my dad's vortex strike fire with the green dot.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I can't say why the higher end manufacturers don't offer green. Having said that, the issue of picking up a laser sight in bright light doesn't carry over to RDS because the level of intensity can be adjusted on a RDS. If you're having trouble finding the dot, just turn it up. I've had an Aimpoint and now I have an Eotech and you can turn them up so bright that you would have to be standing on the surface of the sun for it to be bright enough to wash out the dot/reticle of either.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I believe red leds have a lower voltage drop than green leds.

Therefore, red leds are more efficient, resulting in longer battery and useful life.

#5 is red, #9 is green

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit05 View Post

Therefore, red leds are more efficient, resulting in longer battery and useful life.

#5 is red, #9 is green
    Sounds thinking, think how long it took Crimson Trace to have green lasers, and the diminished battery life they have compared to the red laser version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Vickers View Post
    It is a cheap Airsoft quality Eotech half ass knockoff- I just had a student with one in a basic class about a month ago and it laid down faster than a cheap hooker

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit05 View Post

#5 is red, #9 is green
    Interesting....but you may have to factor in maybe not needing to jam it to eleven to see it?

It's just a thought I wanted to say out loud,who knows? maybe one with a setting for day and night? or one with a solar for day in green that you switch to battery and red at night?

I can be a mad scientist at times.
    "That which is dead can eternal lie,and with strange aeons even death may die"~Lovecraft

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    - - - - -
    Last edited by DTakas; 01-03-19 at 10:06.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I once had a green laser years ago that you could see 100 yards away - in the daytime. I could pick up the green dot. The negative was that it just wasn't safe for inside use. IT reflected off of any surface even slightly reflective. Even glazed vases. And, it hurt my eye to look at the dot on the wall 7 yards or closer.

I got rid of it after I did some reading up on lasers. I did not feel it was safe.

For pure outdoor usage, it would be cool to see your dot at 100 yards, though.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    Red is an un-natural color. I have shot with a red and green chevron on an ACOG. Red is 10x better because you don't see that shade of red in nature vs the green dot, even though it appears brighter, gets washed out in vegetation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Better graph and additional link:

http://led.linear1.org/why-are-leds-different-colors/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast