Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home defense round suggestions for 7.5" barrel with 1:8 twist?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It's horrible for home defense.... or anything else for that matter.
    i know that's pretty much always been the standard consensus, but it appears reliable 7.5s have been getting produced in the last couple years. assuming very close quarters, an appropriate load, and a reliable gun, what do you have against them?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam1002057 View Post
    The KX3 and the PWS CQB Comp. are impressive and help alot... it is still loud as hell though, and you still get some concussion bumping you around in hallways.

7.5's run fine suppressed and it takes the bark out of shooting it...its a good idea... however now you run into potential legal issues... and I know its a whole other debate in and of itself.

I mean, in my opinion it shouldn't matter if I shoot a guy with my 10.5" Noveske Upper on my M16 or run him over with a car.... justifiable is justifiable no matter what tool I use...

But all it takes is one over zealous DA or civil atty to frame you as the bad guy... cause we all know from years of movies and TV that only snipers, spys and assassins use suppressors.

-Sam
    its really hard to keep from writing a multi-page essay in response to the "potential legal issues" argument. i did, in fact, but forced myself to erase it and say simply:

gunfights are hard to win, and harder still to survive. deliberately choosing a less-effective weapon than you can is nothing other than reducing your odds of surviving. not smart.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. BTW this will be a 7.5" Adams Arms piston upper with a KX3 Flaming Pig on the end.
    Last edited by gundam83; 08-08-10 at 20:34.

Feedback Score

7.5's run fine suppressed and it takes the bark out of shooting it...its a good idea... however now you run into potential legal issues... and I know its a whole other debate in and of itself.

I mean, in my opinion it shouldn't matter if I shoot a guy with my 10.5" Noveske Upper on my M16 or run him over with a car.... justifiable is justifiable no matter what tool I use...

But all it takes is one over zealous DA or civil atty to frame you as the bad guy... cause we all know from years of movies and TV that only snipers, spys and assassins use suppressors.

-Sam

Let me ask the proverbial dumb question. Using a 40 gr round so you have maximum potential fragmentation, would there be enough forensic "evidence" with what could be recovered to test, and more importantly, "prove" that the round went through a suppressor? What I'm getting at is this; if the 40 gr fragments how would you know if it was shot from a 7.5" barrel, suppressed or not?

NRA Life Member
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    To the extent of my knowledge use of a modern machined baffle stack suppressor doesn't leave any extra forensic traces, as the bullet never comes in contact with anything after leaving the barrel except for the target / backstop.

Likewise I'm not sure there is any way to tell the length of barrel the projectile was fired from, solely looking at the projectile or fragments by themselves.

I will be the first to say I could be wrong, real life CSI's / forensic experts are welcome to chime in or correct me.
    NREMT-P

No matter how advanced we are as a society, man will always be judged by how much alcohol he can consume . . . and a woman will always be impressed, whether she likes it or not.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bkb0000 View Post
    its really hard to keep from writing a multi-page essay in response to the "potential legal issues" argument. i did, in fact, but forced myself to erase it and say simply:

gunfights are hard to win, and harder still to survive. deliberately choosing a less-effective weapon than you can is nothing other than reducing your odds of surviving. not smart.

I'm in agreement... two things to worry about in a lethal force confrontation... #1 is to win the fight, #2 is everything else.

And to your other point...I'm in agreement...and not to bash on gundam, but there are much better options that will make you more lethal than a 7.5" setup (suppressed or not is irrelevant).
    NREMT-P

No matter how advanced we are as a society, man will always be judged by how much alcohol he can consume . . . and a woman will always be impressed, whether she likes it or not.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'm in agreement... two things to worry about in a lethal force confrontation... #1 is to win the fight, #2 is everything else.

And to your other point...I'm in agreement...and not to bash on gundam, but there are much better options that will make you more lethal than a 7.5" setup (suppressed or not is irrelevant).
    No offense taken. The AR pistol is my shits and giggles gun, but I also want it to be capable of being my SHTF gun as well if it's the only thing around me. I have a Remington 870 pump, Mossberg 930 spx semi, 14.5" Noveske Afghan'ed barreled AR, and an AR chambered in .50 Beowulf for HD. The pistol isn't my primary home defense weapon. I'm sure you all know the saying...pistols only exist to get you to a rifle or shotgun.
    Last edited by gundam83; 08-09-10 at 16:10.

Feedback Score
    I think the real value of the AR pistol is as an urban area bug-out gun. I bought mine as a range toy (and to scratch my SBR itch before I moved to a free state), but was blown away at the great handling characteristics, controllability, and accuracy it was capable of. If you use a buffer tube cheek weld and/or sling tension, it becomes a great poor man's PDW. Double taps on 8" plates at 100 yards, and consistent hits on 12" plates out to 300 yards are no problem. Mine will punch 2" groups at a hundred all day long.

So that being said, in a bug-out situation where carrying a rifle might cause it to get confiscated, attract unwanted attention, or be difficult to manipulate in a vehicle, the AR pistol could have a niche.

For ammo I have heard good things about the Barnes 62gr TSX bullet which I believe Corbon has a commercial loading for. Reliable expansion out to 200 yards from 7.5" barrels.
    Last edited by steel4u; 08-10-10 at 18:53.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by steel4u View Post
    I think the real value of the AR pistol is as an urban area bug-out gun. I bought mine as a range toy (and to scratch my SBR itch before I moved to a free state), but was blown away at the great handling characteristics, controllability, and accuracy it was capable of. If you use a buffer tube cheek weld and/or sling tension, it becomes a great poor man's PDW. Double taps on 8" plates at 100 yards, and consistent hits on 12" plates out to 300 yards are no problem. Mine will punch 2" groups at a hundred all day long.

So that being said, in a bug-out situation where carrying a rifle might cause it to get confiscated, attract unwanted attention, or be difficult to manipulate in a vehicle, the AR pistol could have a niche.

For ammo I have heard good things about the Barnes 62gr TSX bullet which I believe Corbon has a commercial loading for. Reliable expansion out to 200 yards from 7.5" barrels.
    i guess it hasn't been addressed, but i didn't ever think we were talking about pistols here... AR pistols blow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12