Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: General Vehicle First Aid Kit

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

General Vehicle First Aid Kit

I have finally come to terms with the fact that I am never actually going to sit down and build my custom, perfect, ideal, uber-kit. This means that I need to simply buy a pre-packaged kit, or kits, to keep in the vehicle(s). Can anyone make a recommendation for something like this? I'm looking for something that can cover the booboos that kids and women tend to get and want tended (small bandaids, neosporin-type ointment, etc.) as well as potential larger issues that may be encountered in the wilderness with an hour or more to a hospital.

I know that this is a tall order, I know that this is a lot to ask, I know that no kit is "ones size fits all", etc. The problem is that a 75% solution in the car is far better than a 100% solution in my head and I'd feel a lot better just being able to order something and have maybe more than I need even if I have to spend more than I should. Hopefully that makes sense.

Feedback Score
    I keep this one in the truck but added a few odds and ends such as an extra roll of ace bandage, a couple QuikClot ACS sponges and a one hand tourniquet.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/LifeLine-B...i_sku=13848572

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Actually, not so tall an order. While you are right in that there are really no "one size fits all" kits, there are several that are "one size fits most," which is what you want.

I like this kit. It is relatively inexpensive, has 99% of what you need, and is pre-packaged. Add a tourniquet, a QuikClot, an Israeli bandage or Olaes, and you will be good to go for just about anything.

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/it...el-Medical-Kit

I really like Adventure Medical, and used them when tasked to come up with "a military-grade kit that doesn't scream military" for a client.
    Last edited by chuckman; 08-09-10 at 10:35.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I have finally come to terms with the fact that I am never actually going to sit down and build my custom, perfect, ideal, uber-kit. This means that I need to simply buy a pre-packaged kit, or kits, to keep in the vehicle(s). Can anyone make a recommendation for something like this? I'm looking for something that can cover the booboos that kids and women tend to get and want tended (small bandaids, neosporin-type ointment, etc.) as well as potential larger issues that may be encountered in the wilderness with an hour or more to a hospital.

I know that this is a tall order, I know that this is a lot to ask, I know that no kit is "ones size fits all", etc. The problem is that a 75% solution in the car is far better than a 100% solution in my head and I'd feel a lot better just being able to order something and have maybe more than I need even if I have to spend more than I should. Hopefully that makes sense.

This is a good idea and one I have thought about for awhile now. The two biggest things that I want in the car with me is a tourniquet and some sort of clotting agent. If I can stop the bleeding for an hour or so, I should be able to make it.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Actually, not so tall an order. While you are right in that there are really no "one size fits all" kits, there are several that are "one size fits most," which is what you want.

I like this kit. It is relatively inexpensive, has 99% of what you need, and is pre-packaged. Add a tourniquet, a QuikClot, an Israeli bandage or Olaes, and you will be good to go for just about anything.

I really like Adventure Medical, and used them when tasked to come up with "a military-grade kit that doesn't scream military" for a client.
    I like the layout of that

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post

Thanks for the link. They have a chart!

Led me to this, which is quite a bit bigger and more expensive but potentially worth it.
    http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/it...ive-Kit-------

Contents:

Bandage Materials

10 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1" x 3"

10 Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle

2 Bandage, Conforming Gauze, 3"

2 Bandage, Stockinette Tubular, 1" x 4"

4 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2

4 Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 4" x 4", Pkg./2

4 Dressing, Non-Adherent, Sterile, 3" x 4"

2 Eye Pad, Sterile

Bleeding

3 Gloves, Nitrile (Pair), Hand Wipe (Intl)

1 Instructions, Easy Care Bleeding

1 Trauma Pad, 5" x 9"

1 Trauma Pad, 8" x 10"

Blister / Burn

1 Aloe Vera Gel with Lidocaine, 1 oz

2 GlacierGel (Small Rectangular)

1 Molefoam, 3" x 5"

22 Moleskin, Pre-Cut & Shaped

CPR

1 CPR Face Shield, Laerdal

1 Instructions, Easy Care CPR

Dental

1 Dentemp, Filling Mixture with Pain Relief

Duct Tape

1 Duct Tape, 2" x 5 Yards

Fracture / Sprain

1 Bandage, Elastic with Velcro, 3"

2 Bandage, Triangular

1 Instructions, Easy Care Fracture & Sprain

1 SAM® Splint, 4" x 36"

Instrument

1 EMT Shears, 4"

1 Pencil 3 Safety Pins

1 Splinter Picker/Tick Remover Forceps

1 Thermometer, Digital

Medical Information

1 Comp. Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine

3 Patient Assessment Form

Medication

5 Acetaminophen (500 mg), Pkg./2

3 After Bite Wipe

1 Antacid, Pkg./12

6 Antihistamine (Diphenhydramine 25 mg)

2 Aspirin (325 mg), Pkg./2

5 Cold Medicine, Medicidin-D, Pkg./2

3 Cortisone Cream 1%, 1/32 oz (.9 g)

6 Diamode (Loperamide HCI 2 mg), Pkg./1

1 Glutose Paste (Glucose 15 g)

5 Ibuprofen (200 mg), Pkg./2

1 Instructions, Easy Care Medications

2 Oral Rehydration Salts

Other

2 Aloksak Waterproof Bag, 6" x 9"

2 Plastic Vial, Flip-top, Large

2 Plastic Vial, Flip-top, Small

Survival Tools

1 Matches, Waterproof

Suture / Syringe

1 Scalpel, Sterile, Disposable, #11 Blade

Wound Care

6 After Cuts & Scrapes Anethestic/Antiseptic Wipe

2 Cotton Tip Applicator, Pkg./2

1 Instructions, Easy Care Wound

2 Povidone Iodine, 3/4 oz

1 Scrub Brush, Sterile

1 Syringe, Irrigation, 20 cc, 18 Gauge Tip

1 Tape, 1" x 10 Yards

3 Tincture of Benzoin Topical Adhesive, Vial

4 Triple Antibiotic Ointment, Single Use
    1 Wound Closure Strips, 1/4" x 4", Pkg./10

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Yes, Rob, they have a chart. I knew you'd appreciate that! Perhaps if I, too, had done due diligence by looking at charts prior to investing in the AR world I would be better off now...

The comprehensive kit is really good, and for just a few dollars more, you can stock the items that are in the expedition kit over time if you think they are things you could use.

The only thing I would add is get a small molle bag, use one of the aloksaks, or even a gallon-sized plastic baggie would do, for a TQ/compression bandage set up, just for a grab-and-go/SHTF type of thing. It would fit right in the middle of this kit.

I made kits for clients from different walks of life and I really like and recommend Adventure Medical, especially when travelling abroad when carrying something in cammo or OD green can get you in trouble.

Feedback Score
    I concur with chuckman, great recommendation and especially the point with the TK, QuikClot and ETDs (that can be added to your order). Atwater Carey had a similar model, Wilderness Medicine Pro 2.0 Medical / First Aid Kit. Both chuckman and chinookmed are great resources.
    Last edited by sniperbusch@hotmail.com; 08-09-10 at 12:36. Reason: more content
    sniperbusch

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I love the way this is packed, not so much the $250 price tag!
    http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/it...0-------------

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    The Marine kits are good when you are a good day or two (or 10) from any medical care. They have some serious medical-provider-only stuff in the other models like sutures, foley catheters, etc. Overkill for mere mortals such as myself; however, if I am at sea for days-to-weeks or really out in the boonies, some of that stuff could be nice to have.

The kit itself is organized nicely, with things well thought-out. I think that is what you, Rob, were referring to. The other AMKs are packaged well, but certainly not labelled as well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast