Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General Vehicle First Aid Kit

Feedback Score
    Thanks NinjaMedic for suggesting a BVM, something I was considering but thought was cost prohibitive. I appreciate Chuckman's straight forward and pragmatic reasoning. This has been a helpful subject matter, thanks for starting this thread rob_s
    sniperbusch

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Right now here's what I'm leaning towards.

(1) Adventure Medical Kits Comprehensive Kit
    (1) Adventure Medical Kits Ultralight / Watertight .3 - 2010 Edition

This gives me one on the big end and one on the small end to evaluate for my needs and gives me a basis for judging the two.

Feedback Score
    Rob,

I will try to shoot you an email tonight or later this week. Trying to get grades in for end of semester.

Not specifically to Rob but to everyone...

I can fully understand the cost to use ratio and assessing what is appropriate for you. As someone who has a pile of old nylon, both high CDI and low quality knock off gear I can also appreciate that items like the BFG DAP series and a number of other manufacturers make gear that will last much longer than your med setup will. This is why I like more generic designs that can be repurposed or sold down the road. I have a number of nice dedicated med packs sitting in my gear room that never get used either as a med pack or as a general purpose pack whereas I use my Kifaru Marauder, Original RAID, etc for lots of stuff. I have definitely gotten a lot more use out of the more general and less specialized pieces that I have purchased and should I ever need to sell them to make a few quick bucks it will be much easier to get rid of than those high end LBT bags (yes plural) that I have sitting on the shelf.

Point being, I look at it as an investment. If I buy something solid to begin with I feel much more comfortable that it will serve me well in to the future and potentially provide me with some cash should I need to get rid of it.

As far as me being a retailer and being partial to what I carry, I have access to the AMK line and the mark up is quite generous. I have said this before and will say it again (I think most of the other vendors on here would agree as well), I could sell the lower end items and make more money on each item as well as in the quantity being sold but I sleep easy at night knowing that I have put gear out the door that I trust, would rely on if I went afield, and whenever possible is made by Americans.

Just my thoughts, back to grading tests...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Rob, this is what my wife and I decided upon as our family / car / cub and boy scout kits:

TRAUMA / HEMORAGE
    Impregnated Blood clotter (celox or quick clot), 2 Pkg.
    Flexible (SAM) Splint, 2 Ea.
    Gauze 2x2, 10 Ea.
    Gauze 4x4, 10 Ea.
    Gauze rolls, 2 Ea.
    Cravats, 2 Ea.
    Maxi Pads, 5 Ea
    Tourniquet, SOF, 2 Ea.
    Trauma Pad, 5"x9", 2 Ea.

BURNS
    Cleansing Wipes, Lidocaine and Aloe, 5 Ea
    Burn Gel

MINOR WOUNDS
    Adhesive Bandage, 1"x3", 5 Ea
    Adhesive Bandage, 3/4"x3", 10 Ea
    Adhesive Bandage, 5/8"x2-1/4", 15 Ea
    Adhesive Bandage, 1-1/2x3-1/4" Knuckle, 5 Ea
    Adhesive Bandage, 1-3/4"x4", 5 Ea
    Eye Wash, 4oz OR single use tube, 2 Ea
    Finger splints, 1 Ea
    Ice pack, 2 Ea
    Moleskin, 1 Ea
    Pads, Eye, Oval, 2-1/8"x2-5/8", 2 Ea.
    Wet Wipes (Benzalkonium Chloride), 10 Ea
    Wipes, alcohol, 20 Ea
    Wipes, Iodine, 20 Ea.
    Wound wash, 1 Ea

MEDICATIONS
    Ammonia inhaler (smelling salts), 1 Pkg.
    Antacid, 1 Pkg
    Antidiahreal, 1 Pkg
    Antinausea, 1 Pkg
    Asprin, 81mg childrens, 1 Pkg
    Benadryl, pills, 1 Pkg
    Benadryl, stick, 1 Ea
    Glucose, 25mg tube, 1 Pkg
    Hydrocortisone Cream 1%, 1 Ea
    Ibuprofen, 1 Pkg
    Triple Antibiotic Ointment, 1 Ea
    Tylenol / aleve, 1 Pkg
    Zinc oxide, 1 Ea

TOOLS / PPE / OTHER
    Ambu Res-Cue Key CPR Shield, 1 Ea
    Carmex Lip Balm, 1 Ea
    chem lights, 4 Ea
    disposable razor, 1 Ea
    Eye drops, 1 Ea
    Gloves, nitrle, large, 6 Ea
    Hand sanitizer, 1 Ea
    Hemostat, 2 Ea.
    Light, Flash light, high intensity, 1 Ea
    Light, head lamp, 1 Ea
    N95 Particualte filtering disposable face mask, 2 Ea
    Sharpie marker, 1 Ea
    Space blanket, 2 Ea
    Trauma shears, 1 Ea
    Tweezers, 1 Ea
    Whistle, 1 Ea

WRAPS
    ACE wrap, 2 Ea
    Coban (althletes tape), 2 Ea
    Medical tape, 2 Ea
    We developed this list based on our personal and professional experience (me: fomer combat lifesaver training and current 1st aid certs. she: trauma and wound nurse). We bought only those items that were within our skill levels. We did not buy a pre packaged kit because we wanted to be able to restock it as necessary with out breaking the bank by buying specialty packaged items. So we bought the stocks for our kits mainly from Walmart and some times from online. Total cost of stock per kit was about $100.00 or so.m A bit steep, but it covers everything from a kid getting a splinter all the way to coming onto a traffic accident where someone is bleeding big time from a nearly severed limb.

As for bags, I bought my wife this from Amazon. Cost was about $30 at the time. It aint sexy but is car transportable and eaisly carried to a camp site. For me, I was about to buy one when I was working in Raleigh and decided to drive to Fayetteville and see what was available in the pawn shops. I found this for $75. Yeah close to $200 total for me, but Im a knucklehead like that. Honestly I dont think you can beat a $140 or so price point for what you are looking for.

Feedback Score
    I have both the comprehensive and the expedition kit from adventure medical and have also been to medical courses sponsored by Dr. Weis.

Both kits have been first rate. The bags hold up well. You will need to intermittently replace items either due to use (hopefully not) or expiration but are generally much cheaper than you can put together yourself. REI carries much of their stuff so if you have one of those stores close by you may want to check them out.

Feedback Score
    One addition I suggest for everyone's first-aid kit is a small bottle of colloidal silver . Silver is toxic to bacteria, algae and fungi and can also be used as an antiseptic.

A few years back I began to suffer bad sinus infections and a pal suggested trying silver. All the trips to doctor to get antibiotics are now over. If I wake up feeling sinus pressure and steam doesn't provide the relief, I will take a tablespoon of silver in the morning and a second tablespoon at night. Usually by the next morning, I feel fine.

I take a tablespoon of sliver once each week, hold it under my tongue for a minute, rinse my mouth out with it and then swallow. It works as an excellent mouthwash and can be put in a spray bottle to be used as a deodorant. And no, I'm not turning blue. I remember my grandmother saying they would put a silver dollar in a milk bottle, to keep the milk fresh longer.

As bacteria become more and more antibiotic-resistant, silver still remains effective, because it cuts of the bacteria's ability to process oxygen. The pharmaceutical industry is always on its hind legs wanting silver removed from the market. Because they know how well it works.

Don't let the doctors fill you up with antibiotics that are becoming less reliable, just keep a bottle of silver around.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I have been known to carry a US Army combat lifesaver bag in my trunk, but not recently since im not in a combat brigade and its not as easy to replace the IV bags.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I have finally come to terms with the fact that I am never actually going to sit down and build my custom, perfect, ideal, uber-kit. This means that I need to simply buy a pre-packaged kit, or kits, to keep in the vehicle(s). Can anyone make a recommendation for something like this? I'm looking for something that can cover the booboos that kids and women tend to get and want tended (small bandaids, neosporin-type ointment, etc.) as well as potential larger issues that may be encountered in the wilderness with an hour or more to a hospital.

I know that this is a tall order, I know that this is a lot to ask, I know that no kit is "ones size fits all", etc. The problem is that a 75% solution in the car is far better than a 100% solution in my head and I'd feel a lot better just being able to order something and have maybe more than I need even if I have to spend more than I should. Hopefully that makes sense.
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this OP, as well as a lot of the additional posts, outlined much of what I’ve been thinking for a while. I’ve always carried some first aid and trauma type stuff in my truck, but it was segmented...some stuff as in the console, some in the back under the seat, etc. So while I was placing an order at www.lapolicegear.com, I added a red bail out bag to my order as a catalyst to start putting together my kit.

https://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

I am not any sort of medic, but I had some minor first aid training throughout my military career, and am current in AED and CPR. But I figure I can apply the basic ABC and if I have some supplies available, can at least try should I be in a back road place and come across an accident. Also, it’s been my experience that many folks who do have the training may not always carry their kits, so if I have stuff that can help, that would be a plus.

Anyway, pics are below. I plan to add a second tourniquet and more clotting packs. And am looking at some better shears and maybe some basic clamps and what not. I would like to add this LAPolice Gear bag is excellent for the cost. Mine was on sale at 15% off, so under $20.

8C5CC400-B52B-451F-A100-285EE72E25AD.jpg

720EF59D-A8FE-4BAD-9B68-FEE6FC0B25EA.jpg

67961CD3-5D2D-48D6-A39C-30E812C569C0.jpg

36BAE113-920E-4887-B775-133372CF020D.jpg

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Actually, not so tall an order. While you are right in that there are really no "one size fits all" kits, there are several that are "one size fits most," which is what you want.

I like this kit. It is relatively inexpensive, has 99% of what you need, and is pre-packaged. Add a tourniquet, a QuikClot, an Israeli bandage or Olaes, and you will be good to go for just about anything.

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/it...el-Medical-Kit

I really like Adventure Medical, and used them when tasked to come up with "a military-grade kit that doesn't scream military" for a client.
    I’ll second Adventure Medical. And adding the typical BOK items. You can certainly piece together you own off Amazon, however buying a premade larger kit from AM or another company and augmenting it can save time.
    Last edited by VARIABLE9; 10-29-17 at 14:54. Reason: Spelling!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this OP, as well as a lot of the additional posts, outlined much of what I’ve been thinking for a while. I’ve always carried some first aid and trauma type stuff in my truck, but it was segmented...some stuff as in the console, some in the back under the seat, etc. So while I was placing an order at www.lapolicegear.com, I added a red bail out bag to my order as a catalyst to start putting together my kit.

https://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

I am not any sort of medic, but I had some minor first aid training throughout my military career, and am current in AED and CPR. But I figure I can apply the basic ABC and if I have some supplies available, can at least try should I be in a back road place and come across an accident. Also, it’s been my experience that many folks who do have the training may not always carry their kits, so if I have stuff that can help, that would be a plus.

Anyway, pics are below. I plan to add a second tourniquet and more clotting packs. And am looking at some better shears and maybe some basic clamps and what not. I would like to add this LAPolice Gear bag is excellent for the cost. Mine was on sale at 15% off, so under $20.

8C5CC400-B52B-451F-A100-285EE72E25AD.jpg

720EF59D-A8FE-4BAD-9B68-FEE6FC0B25EA.jpg

67961CD3-5D2D-48D6-A39C-30E812C569C0.jpg

36BAE113-920E-4887-B775-133372CF020D.jpg
    Dig that. Thanks for the tip.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast