Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GSG 5 22 PLINKER

Feedback Score

Question GSG 5 22 PLINKER

i have read alot about these, and had the chance to pick one up the other week and it looked really cool. along with being able to shoot 500 rounds for 20 dollars wouldn't be bad idea. Does anyone have one of these or ever shot one yet..

Feedback Score
    I got one a couple months ago and love it. Cheap fun.
    It goes out to the range with me every weekend.
    I changed out the male/female screws on the furniture with HK Push Pins, RRAGES screw upgrade kit, and installed a CA MP5 A5 Collapsible Stock.
    Next is the SBR paperwork, then comes a can.

Here's a link with some good info and parts....
    http://rrages.com/

He also sells on EBay with free shipping!
    To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it. - GK Chesterton

Feedback Score
    had one for about 4 months. Was a novelty to me that wore off VERY quickly. Went back to my CMMG conversion kit put in my SBR instead and sold the GSG-5. YMMV but it just wasn't for me. Felt cheap and like the previous poster said, you have to change a lot of stuff on it to make it reliable which they should have done in the factory.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My roommate has one and even after sending it back to ATI for repair, it still light-strikes. He has days at the range where he can't make it two consecutive rounds for the duration of an entire magazine without a malfunction... Another friend of mine has sub-500 rounds through his and "hasn't had any problems".

Feedback Score
    Another reason why I sold mine.

Feedback Score
    I have a 1st gen GSG5.
    So far, gone through 2000 rounds with about 7 failure to feed. Failures happened when others were shooting it and were riding the bolt forward when first loading it. Only "cleaning" I've done is run a boresnake through it every 500 rounds and spray the bolt with break free.

Seems like it's hit or miss, in terms of reliability. Maybe because it's an airsoft gun adapted for .22LR. GSG did start off by making airsoft guns.

Overall, it's a plinker and the kiddies like shooting it.

I'm waiting for the 110 round GSG5 drum to be released.
    Last edited by Quiet; 08-31-10 at 01:01. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    I have one of the first ones imported into the country. It's been boringly reliable over about 1500 rounds of mixed bulk-pack .22 (whatever happened to be cheapest at Wally World - Federal, Winchester and Remington mixed). It seems to hold good groups, albeit quite high. Unfortunately, the first-model guns don't have any provision for elevation adjustment. Also, the buttstock sling attachment is too shallow for a real HK sling. Finally, the receiver metal is too weak for the 'HK slap' technique. It started peening after a few slaps. I've been considering a cheap red-dot for it, but haven't had the inclination to spend money for it yet.

A friend of mine got one of the second-gen guns with adjustable sights. It's just as reliable, and probably more accurate. At least, I seemed to shoot it better than my M&P-15/22 with iron sights.

All that said, it's fun, reliable, and as close as I'll get to owning an MP5. Right now, it basically sits in my safe until my son's old enough for "Baby's First Assault Rifle". For what they cost, they're a fun plinker.

Feedback Score
    My buddy has one and I have used it quite a bit. i think for the $$ its a great plinker. He is an excellent rifle shooter and I am average but with a red dot sight I am better with it then he is. i actually sighted the scope and I can tear the center of a target out all day. I would say this year alone I have shot 700-800rds thru it and only starts to jam when I am at 300+rds and she needs a cleaning.

Feedback Score
    I picked up one a few months back for the wife, and I have actually spent more time shooting it. It has preformed flawlessly except that it takes just a few seconds to empty the magazine and it only came with the one. I was intending to stock up on more but since the wife was not as enamored with it as me i might end up letting it go to accessorize my other toys.

Feedback Score
    After reading this thread, I pulled my GSG out of the safe today to play with it. Lo and behold, the buttstock was cracked right where the screws fix it to the receiver, on both sides. And by 'cracked', I mean 'falling off'. Odd, it's just been sitting in my safe. It hasn't been beaten up, I haven't been butt-stroking the neighbors or anything.

I suppose it's time to get a good buttstock for it. Anyone have any recommendations? I'd rather not shell out the money for a genuine HK stock, as they're a wee bit pricey. Are any of the airsoft stocks worthwhile? What about the aftermarket GSG-brand stocks?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast