Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiking boots with a stitched welt

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hiking boots with a stitched welt

So I pull out my Merrill boots from the storeroom and decide maybe I should take them out for a test run as it's been a couple of years since I went backpacking. After about a ten mile trail hike around town, the sole completely separates from the upper. I looked like a hobo stumbling the last couple of miles to the house.

And this isn't the first pair of hikers with those cursed glued soles coming apart on me. I'll never buy another pair of those POS.

So who still makes an old school leather hiking boot with a fully stitched welt? I think Danner has a couple of models and they seem to have a top notch reputation. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave View Post
    So I pull out my Merrill boots from the storeroom and decide maybe I should take them out for a test run as it's been a couple of years since I went backpacking. After about a ten mile trail hike around town, the sole completely separates from the upper. I looked like a hobo stumbling the last couple of miles to the house.

And this isn't the first pair of hikers with those cursed glued soles coming apart on me. I'll never buy another pair of those POS.

So who still makes an old school leather hiking boot with a fully stitched welt? I think Danner has a couple of models and they seem to have a top notch reputation. Anyone have any other suggestions?
    Alico. Traditional construction in a few different weights.

STP has them VERY reasonable. It is worth the shipping. Sizing is true. Tahoes are not too heavy.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Alico.html

The Private Citizen
    Liberty — Independence — Responsibility — Resolve

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Try Danner. More expensive than some, but in my opinion worth it.

Feedback Score
    Danner are nice, considered to be Gucci in the UK ......... mainly 'cos they cost twice as much as they do here.

I personally think the ultimate boot is the Lowa Mountain GTX, they are foot sex personified.

Feedback Score
    Salomon XA Pro, 3D Fastpackers or Quest depending to what level of coldness you want to go walking in.
    I own all three of them and loved then, i have used then CONUS and OCONUS and they last a long time.

http://www.salomon.com/us/segment/ba...ing-shoes.html
    this is a link to the Fastpackers and Quest, for the XA Pro you are going to have to:
    http://www.salomon.com/us/segment/hiking-shoes.html
    ACADEMI Firearms, Tactics and Driving Instructor
    VA Arms Co FFL/SOT part-time armorer
    certified HK/BUSHMASTER armorer
    “There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    I personally think Merrells are cheaply constructed, and not surprised you had trouble with them.

Everyone has their own pet brand but I really would look at Lowa. Ive got a few pairs, and they do hold up really well. They are made with good materials, and not the junk Merrell uses. I even have a pair I used to ride on my Gixxer, and aside from a little discoloration they were just fine.

I would look at the ones with leather linings. They are better in the long run than synthetic material. Id also get a pair of Smart Feet insoles, and get the type that matches your feet. REI sells them so you can go in the store, and try different ones on.

Ive had a couple pair of danners over the years, and while they are nice boots I find them very heavy. They are not as comfortable for me either.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The Danner Mtn. Light, Danner Light II, and Explorer fit what you are looking for.
    http://www.danner.com/boots/#activity=52
    I have two pairs of Danner hikers and they are great boots, Gore-Tex and Vibram soles. They can be rebuilt and resoled. They are a bit heavier than Merrills and can be purchased through Danner at a discount if your military or LE.
    Also take a look at the Hanwags from Lathrop & Sons,
    http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/index.php
    Military Morons did a great review of the Hanwags on his site at
    http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/footwear2.html
    Great boots as well, but pricey.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    Everyone has their own pet brand but I really would look at Lowa. Ive got a few pairs, and they do hold up really well. They are made with good materials, and not the junk Merrell uses. I even have a pair I used to ride on my Gixxer, and aside from a little discoloration they were just fine.
    Lowa's are handmade using the best materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R;731536I
    would look at the ones with leather linings. They are better in the long run than synthetic material. Id also get a pair of Smart Feet insoles, and get the type that matches your feet. REI sells them so you can go in the store, and try different ones on.
    The general issue boots worn by the German army have a leather lining. It is called the Camp Boot and even with no goretex provides better than excellent service in wet environments:

http://www.schuh-keller.de/Militarys...p--Men-BW.html

Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    Ive had a couple pair of danners over the years, and while they are nice boots I find them very heavy. They are not as comfortable for me either.
    Its all a matter of fit with each boot type. Some are good others are bad.

Other boots to consider are the Meindl's and the Hanwags, also both handmade and valued greatly by military and SF types.

If you invest in a good pair of Lowa, Meindl or Hanwags - buy them from Germany, use the link I gave above and they are mucho cheaper - I'll help with language if you want. I personally know guys in the German Army who have had the same pair of Lowa for 10+ years, had them re-soled a couple of times and still swear that they are only just getting broken in nicely.
    Last edited by Von Rheydt; 08-12-10 at 14:54.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Ditto for the Danner Mountain Light or Mountain Hikers. I have owned both and they have held up great. They are a quality boot and made in the U.S.A. SF is also issuing the Danner Combat Hikers which are a little harder to find.

Feedback Score
    I've had the exact same thing happen with Merrell boats. I switched to Asolo. I've had them in wet bogs and alpine conditions of brutal rock. NEVER a missed beat.

I've also had Vasques in the past (Sundowner is all leather). But the Asolo boots are rock solid. They are spendy, but they'll be on my feet on an alpine climb this weekend. And I won't worry about them coming apart.
    Last edited by lovetashoot; 08-12-10 at 17:51.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast