Thread: Hiking boots with a stitched welt

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hiking boots with a stitched welt

So I pull out my Merrill boots from the storeroom and decide maybe I should take them out for a test run as it's been a couple of years since I went backpacking. After about a ten mile trail hike around town, the sole completely separates from the upper. I looked like a hobo stumbling the last couple of miles to the house.

And this isn't the first pair of hikers with those cursed glued soles coming apart on me. I'll never buy another pair of those POS.

So who still makes an old school leather hiking boot with a fully stitched welt? I think Danner has a couple of models and they seem to have a top notch reputation. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave View Post
    So I pull out my Merrill boots from the storeroom and decide maybe I should take them out for a test run as it's been a couple of years since I went backpacking. After about a ten mile trail hike around town, the sole completely separates from the upper. I looked like a hobo stumbling the last couple of miles to the house.

And this isn't the first pair of hikers with those cursed glued soles coming apart on me. I'll never buy another pair of those POS.

So who still makes an old school leather hiking boot with a fully stitched welt? I think Danner has a couple of models and they seem to have a top notch reputation. Anyone have any other suggestions?
    Alico. Traditional construction in a few different weights.

STP has them VERY reasonable. It is worth the shipping. Sizing is true. Tahoes are not too heavy.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Alico.html

The Private Citizen
    Liberty — Independence — Responsibility — Resolve

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Try Danner. More expensive than some, but in my opinion worth it.

Feedback Score
    Danner are nice, considered to be Gucci in the UK ......... mainly 'cos they cost twice as much as they do here.

I personally think the ultimate boot is the Lowa Mountain GTX, they are foot sex personified.

Feedback Score
    Salomon XA Pro, 3D Fastpackers or Quest depending to what level of coldness you want to go walking in.
    I own all three of them and loved then, i have used then CONUS and OCONUS and they last a long time.

http://www.salomon.com/us/segment/ba...ing-shoes.html
    this is a link to the Fastpackers and Quest, for the XA Pro you are going to have to:
    http://www.salomon.com/us/segment/hiking-shoes.html
    ACADEMI Firearms, Tactics and Driving Instructor
    VA Arms Co FFL/SOT part-time armorer
    certified HK/BUSHMASTER armorer
    “There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    I personally think Merrells are cheaply constructed, and not surprised you had trouble with them.

Everyone has their own pet brand but I really would look at Lowa. Ive got a few pairs, and they do hold up really well. They are made with good materials, and not the junk Merrell uses. I even have a pair I used to ride on my Gixxer, and aside from a little discoloration they were just fine.

I would look at the ones with leather linings. They are better in the long run than synthetic material. Id also get a pair of Smart Feet insoles, and get the type that matches your feet. REI sells them so you can go in the store, and try different ones on.

Ive had a couple pair of danners over the years, and while they are nice boots I find them very heavy. They are not as comfortable for me either.