Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropping a holster (or how I finally got rid of the dropleg)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Dropping a holster (or how I finally got rid of the dropleg)

So I've been trying to get rid of my drop-leg holster for a few years now. The problem was that everything that was low enough to clear my plate carrier comfortably seemed to have a leg-strap attached to it.

I decided to try a BladeTech DOH (Dropped and Offset Holster). The idea is that it drops down a couple inches and wedges away from the body, allowing it to clear the plate carrier easier without utilizing a leg strap.

Now, this was better than a regular belt holster but not quite as good as a drop-leg. I decided that it needed to be dropped another inch or so.

I attached some Molle-loks to the DOH portion of the holster. Now the holster would easily attach to the MOLLE on my belt and could be further lowered. The problem became that when I lowered it on the belt, the holster would slide up when drawing. Now that simply wouldn't do. If you've never used Molle-Lok before, you'd see that there is a slot on the back to so that one half of the attachment can be affixed to the holster (or whatever) while still allowing the rear to be unlocked. I could give a shit if I can easily take the holster off and I needed the upward movement to stop (while still maintaining how low it sits) so I used a couple of washers (and some new attained longer 8/32 screws) to attach though the entire Molle-Lok. I ensured to lok-tite all of the screws when it was all fitted and tested.

Now, there is no movement, it sits low enough, and the holster remains secure. All I needed to was attach some zip-ties to further restrict the release mechanism of the Molle-Loks.

Pics, of course:

Here you can see how low it sits and how the DOH works

Pic of the washer-mod pre-zipties

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Mods, maybe move this to the, 'gear' forum?

I realized I may have posted this in the wrong place

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    That's a neat mod, and inexpensive, too!

I did something similar with my Safariland 6004 on my ATS warbelt. It's got a very good drawstroke now, very efficient.

I've got a G-17 red gun to practice with, and am working on the master grip, draw and press-outs. It feels a lot better, and is definitely faster.

The Surefire X300 even fits on it, so it's the right shape and weight.

Feedback Score
    ^This.

I like the militarymoron's mod to the 6004 series.

Link: http://www.militarymorons.com/faq/faqs.html

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePAL84 View Post
    I decided to try a BladeTech DOH (Dropped and Offset Holster).
    What was your delivery time on that? Did you order it directly from them?
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    What was your delivery time on that? Did you order it directly from them?
    I ordered directly from them. Took 4-5 weeks I think. (long enough that I don't know exactly)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nice mod. Not to hijack your thread, but do you / anyone know of a similar mod for the Safariland SLS duty holsters, such as the mid-ride (6280 series?). The tactical drop legs, like the 6004/6005 are too long for me, but like you, the mid-ride is just a bit to high riding, so that it interfers with the bottom edge of my plate carrier.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Last edited by kmrtnsn; 07-30-10 at 20:46.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    I'm bringing this thread back because kmrtnsn mentioned the Safariland DFA, which has caught my eye. Does anyone have any reviews of this? I don't necessarily want a drop-leg, but the holster (6280) attached to my belt is too high and isn't comfortable while training with a rifle. The DFA looks to be in the perfect spot, but another concern is how flexible it is. Is the piece coming down from the belt to the shroud flexible or rigid? I ask because it seem it would affect comfort while sitting.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p...x?pid=6004-DFA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast