Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surefire E2D in carry-on?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    they are afraid of lithium fires from, I suppose, the loose lithium batteries shorting and burning. You cant put out a lithium fire with normal suppression systems I believe. You can fly with them if they are in some kind of container that wont let them roll around.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've flown with several flashlights both in my pockets, in my carry on bag, and in my checked bags. I have had spares but in a battery carrier. I didn't want a short and have all my clothes burn up just as much as they didn't want a fire in stowage.

I've never had a problem getting through security. I've had them ask why I had it and what it was for. To that a simple "it's a flashlight what do you think it's for?". Followed by a few clicks of the tail cap to illustrate, has always worked for me.

I've never had anyone ask about the batteries or ever threaten to take them or my light.

Mike

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Dozens of flights with an E2D, E2DL, and assorted other lights and lithium batteries in pockets and carry ons. No problems.

Worst scrutiny the E2D has ever gotten was when I reentered the US in Huston from Central America. TSA dude looked at the scallops, said something like "wow, that could hurt someone", and handed it back.

Here's a tip that's worked well for me: Prior to screeening, if you have the light in your carry-on, align it with a row or pens or other items of similar material and form. If you have the light in your pocket, dump your pocket clutter all together in a one-gallon ziplock bag. Lights, wallet, cell, everything. Both of these methods will make otherwise odd items blend in and appear common.

I carry batteries in a spares carrier or other similar device, and not had any problems.

When you fly, carry a self addressed bubble envelope with you with sufficient postage to mail home questionable items. It will save you having to ditch them.

Also, if TSA denies you entry at one checkpoint for a given item, tell them you'll return it to your car and try another checkpoint. Nine times out of ten this will work.

I've been amazed, and not, by what TSA lets through.

This is as much as I'll offer on a public access forum.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I spent about 1/3 of the last 3 years on international flights and I never had an issue with the 2 SF lights I had in my carry-on or the E2D in my pocket (went through security with my phone and pocket-lint).
    But who knows how they will react on any given day?
    Never take anything through security you aren't willing to lose.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This is a most informative thread, thanks gents. I don't get to travel much so it's good to hear everyone's experiances. I am shocked that the PC libtards of at the airlines have not considered hand held flashlights as "impact" weapons/devices or that CR123s are a fire hazard.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I ended up going through security with a crescent wrench in my computer bag one time. The girl on the x-ray said' "excuse me sir, your tool is too big." Insert joke here. I already checked my tools and my regular bag. I wasn't about to throw away my snap-on crescent wrench. I just went back to the ticket counter and checked my computer bag. A small checked bag fee is much better than losing your surefire. Checking luggage is not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
    "Oh, its a wonderful day! My sun is shining, my birds are chirping, my humongous chicken defeated Elmo." Huxley

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    This is a most informative thread, thanks gents. I don't get to travel much so it's good to hear everyone's experiances. I am shocked that the PC libtards of at the airlines have not considered hand held flashlights as "impact" weapons/devices or that CR123s are a fire hazard.
    Im with you on that. I purchased an E1 executive recently as it looks less "threatening". To discourage the TSA peeps from going through my stuff, I cram it all in my nikes....and since I got the third degree from the TSA guy when I was coming back into the country, Nothing they do surprises me. I had "Kill Bin Laden" slapped on top of my small carry-on bag when I was coming through customs and he decided to shoot the questions at me. Maybe if his ingrish was a little better, it would have been easier, although my Cuban is decent (it was at MIA)
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing lunch, Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I've flown several times with SureFire flash lights. I would suggest some type of container for your spare batteries, SureFire and other companies make plastic holders for them. All I've had them do is turn the light on or ask me to. I've never had a strike bezel on one of my lights. Let us know how it works for you.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    This past May, I took my E2D with me on vacation.

Norfolk -> Atlanta -> Tokyo -> Manila -> Tokyo -> Atlanta -> Norfolk

All with flashlight in my Comp-Tach belt holder.

Feedback Score
    83 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotguyo540 View Post
    I ended up going through security with a crescent wrench in my computer bag one time. The girl on the x-ray said' "excuse me sir, your tool is too big." Insert joke here.
    TSA limits the size of your tools to no more than seven inches. (don't go there! )

Remember, TSA may not legally "confiscate" anything...they are NOT law enforcement officer. You must either voluntarily surrender the item or leave the secure area. If it's something illegal (e.g., a firearm) then the law enforcement officer at the checkpoint will confiscate/arrest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12